Fall of Storm's end

Gerold the Great

2 hours ago, Gerold the Great said:

SPOILERS ALLERT FOR WOW!!! We know that G.R.R. Martin has confirmed that Golden company will take Storm's end in WOW , considering that that castle is considered impregnable and it is currently under siege by forces of lord Mathis Rowan, I was wondering how will they succeed. Any ideas? 

Spoiler

Arianne's 2nd chapter of tWoW confirms that Storm's End has already fallen to fAegon. And that fAegon intends to meet the oncoming Tyrell army in the field.

4 hours ago, Gerold the Great said:

SPOILERS ALLERT FOR WOW!!! We know that G.R.R. Martin has confirmed that Golden company will take Storm's end in WOW , considering that that castle is considered impregnable and it is currently under siege by forces of lord Mathis Rowan, I was wondering how will they succeed. Any ideas? 

My bet is that they relieved the siege and posed as allies to the garrison of SE, and with this, the gates were opened to them and they took the castle by deception.

14 hours ago, Gerold the Great said:

Ser Daemon sent Joss Hood ahead to scout for them and learn who held the castle presently. "Twenty men walking the walls, maybe more," he reported on his return. "Lots of carts and wagons. Heavy laden going in, empty going out. Guards at every
gate."
"Banners?" asked Arianne.
"Gold. On the gatehouse and the keep."
"What device did they bear?"
"None that I could see, but there was no wind. The banners hung limp from their staffs."
That was vexing. The Golden Company's banners were cloth-of-gold, devoid of arms and ornament... but the banners
of House Baratheon were also gold, though theirs displayed the crowned stag of Storm's End. Limp golden banners could be either.

They will likely pose as Baratheon forces, maybe contracted by Stannis and after driving out the Reach forces camped outside Storm's Ends the defenders will open the doors. A similar scenario that happened to Theon in Winterfell.

My first thought was that Storm's End simply just let Jon Con and the Golden Company in unopposed. The Baratheon's (and I suppose their banner men) were never huge fans of the Lannister's to begin with, especially as they started to consolidate power after Robert's death (and with Stannis and Renly abruptly leaving KL). Considering that SE was said to have rallied behind Renly instead of Joffrey, coupled with the Baratheon ties to to the Targ dynasty, I don't really see this as that outside of the realm of possibilities. Perhaps George will give us a battle or a battle summary in another chapter that will prove me wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if he glosses over it and we come to find that SE welcomed fAegon with open arms. 

On 11/18/2019 at 4:08 PM, Lord Daedrunk said:

My first thought was that Storm's End simply just let Jon Con and the Golden Company in unopposed. The Baratheon's (and I suppose their banner men) were never huge fans of the Lannister's to begin with, especially as they started to consolidate power after Robert's death (and with Stannis and Renly abruptly leaving KL). Considering that SE was said to have rallied behind Renly instead of Joffrey, coupled with the Baratheon ties to to the Targ dynasty, I don't really see this as that outside of the realm of possibilities. Perhaps George will give us a battle or a battle summary in another chapter that will prove me wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if he glosses over it and we come to find that SE welcomed fAegon with open arms. 

Do you think that there will be a Jon Connington chapter that chronologically takes place in between Arianne I and Arianne II. A Connington chapter that sees Aegon arrive at Storm's End?

Or do you think that the first Connington POV chapter will be the pre-game and then the battle of Storm's End

On 11/19/2019 at 4:54 PM, Jabar of House Titan said:

Do you think that there will be a Jon Connington chapter that chronologically takes place in between Arianne I and Arianne II. A Connington chapter that sees Aegon arrive at Storm's End?

Or do you think that the first Connington POV chapter will be the pre-game and then the battle of Storm's End

I mean, I hope we get as much Connington as possible in Winds. My gut says we will get a chapter between Arianne I and II to fill in the gaps and build anticipation for SE. After that my brain says that after arriving at SE the next POV will be a summary of what took place and lead us right up to Arianne being introduced inside SE, but my heart would love a full fledge battle and play by play for SE. It's so hard to speculate what exactly will be covered just because fAegon and Jon Con's story is moving so quickly, but if the rumors of the book being MASSIVE are true I hope no detail is spared. 

18 hours ago, Lord Daedrunk said:

I mean, I hope we get as much Connington as possible in Winds. My gut says we will get a chapter between Arianne I and II to fill in the gaps and build anticipation for SE. After that my brain says that after arriving at SE the next POV will be a summary of what took place and lead us right up to Arianne being introduced inside SE, but my heart would love a full fledge battle and play by play for SE. It's so hard to speculate what exactly will be covered just because fAegon and Jon Con's story is moving so quickly, but if the rumors of the book being MASSIVE are true I hope no detail is spared. 

Me too. Because I don't think Connington will last very long come A Dream of Spring. I don't see him surviving long enough to even fight the Others. I think he'll either be a casualty of the greyscale plague (it's coming!), a casualty in Aegon's war against Daenerys or both.

I also really would like to get a chapter that takes place at Summerhall. Although an Arianne POV will do, a Connington POV will work there better as he is older and he has a clear history with the place

I bet the book will be MASSIVE. Given his bad decision-making and disorganization during the writing of A Dance with Dragons (and A Feast for Crows too but that's a different story) he has no choice but to make The Winds of Winter massive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 8:24 PM, Gerold the Great said:

“Once more unto the breach or close the walls with our English dead!”

I think there’s a lot of parrallels between Aegon and Henry V invasion of France that leads to Agincourt. So, there’s a good bet Storms End will go similar to Harfluer. A furious assault that convinced the garrison to cave. Then a brutal battle in a muddy field against the cream of chivalry. Then an opportune political marriage as infighting breaks out in the capital.

George has already confirmed that there is going to be a Connington chapter covering the fall of Storm's End.

Anything else would make no sense in light of the last Connington chapter, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 12:05 AM, sweetsunray said:

Arianne's 2nd chapter of tWoW confirms that Storm's End has already fallen to fAegon. And that fAegon intends to meet the oncoming Tyrell army in the field.

The halfmaester lied about this to get Arianne into Storm's End. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2019 at 4:00 PM, Lord Daedrunk said:

Yes, the more JonCon the better. His chapters are some of the best in all the books imo.

Archived