Has it all gone quiet since the TV show finished?

BigFatCoward

33 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Really. 

I find the "you're not a real member until your post count equals your membership number" thought process highly discriminatory.

After half a decade I barely average over 1 post per day. (What can I say? I'm a shy guy)

So in 244 years I'll be a real member. 

Scientists better get to work on that longevity thing.

I think your best hope is that one day the board moves to a new system again and the member numbers get reset. That's how I ended up with a three digit member number despite having only been posting for about a year when the board moved to its current incarnation.

On 1/18/2020 at 8:15 PM, williamjm said:

You can still see it if you hover over an avatar, at the bottom of the screen there will be a link to the URL for the profile, which includes the member number. You are 8999, apparently.

Wow. Off by a thousand. Thanks for the heads up. Can't seem to see the numbers on my tablet. Perhaps I am blind or its only visible on desktop? I remember that the info use to be very visible and that stopped right around the time the TV show came out. Glad that the stats are still available though.

I was on the old EZboard, I want to say I joined in 2001? Though I didn't switch to Fezrock/Fez as a name until maybe 2003. And I signed up here the day this board opened, member #118 baby; triple digits!

But I'm pretty different person now than I was almost 20 years ago (for one, I'm actually an adult), and I don't have the same interest anymore in the books. or the show (or casting speculation when the show first announced), or getting involved in silly forum topics (although when even was the last time there was something like the Ottoman Hills or squirrel bashing or erotica writing?). I post way, way less than I used to, and I imagine its the same for a lot of the old, old timers. Or they never come here at all anymore; whole lotta names I don't see anymore.

I do feel like Gen Chat is a lot slower than it used to be; seems like the only threads regularly updating are the political ones. But the Entertainment forum at least, which is the only other one I go into, seems to be about as busy as ever.

11 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Really. 

I find the "you're not a real member until your post count equals your membership number" thought process highly discriminatory.

After half a decade I barely average over 1 post per day. (What can I say? I'm a shy guy)

So in 244 years I'll be a real member. 

Scientists better get to work on that longevity thing.

I agree. I am in a slightly better position than you, but it will still take decades for me to be a "real member" by this logic.

Or maybe I should just start posting in "serious" parts of the forum instead of sticking to FG and wasting my posts. :leaving: 

I also just realised I've been on this forum for almost nine years and now I'm wondering how this is possible at all.

Now I am wondering who members no. 1000 and 10000 are. Do they post regularly? Did they get some sort of a prize when they registered?

yeah so i am a second gen fl00b...anyone wanna fight about it... :fencing:

On 1/18/2020 at 4:14 PM, Triskele said:

Something in the thread just gave me this recollection that there was some kind of adopt-a-fl00b at some point like a "this one's mine!" kind of thing where if you mistreated a fl00b in general that was completely appropriate and to be expected but if you mistreated my fl00b specifically we might have to have words.  Dang, it's been a while.  Memory is hazy.  

yes i was adopted by the silent sisters...lucky for me they kept silent about my short comings...

On 1/18/2020 at 4:45 PM, larrytheimp said:

If it wasn't for my stalwart OG siqu watching my back I never would have made it through the summer of 2012.  I was really lucky though, I came up with a couple of other fl00b, Board rest their souls, who didn't have the kind of mentorship that I did.  I imagine their suffering, and I weep.

me too, Imp...i was saved from myself by Elder Sis, Karaddin, Lany, Fragile Bird, and the goddess X-Ray

...and the late great Lord o' Bones...ye gods he kept me from being murdered in gen chat...

i do miss the days where the drinking/drunk threads out performed the political shit that seems to dominate nowadays...

:commie:...still drinking and smoking on a daily basis

15 hours ago, Freshwater Spartan said:

Wow. Off by a thousand. Thanks for the heads up. Can't seem to see the numbers on my tablet. Perhaps I am blind or its only visible on desktop? I remember that the info use to be very visible and that stopped right around the time the TV show came out. Glad that the stats are still available though.

I was looking on a desktop browser so it's possible it doesn't work on mobile.

4 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

i do miss the days where the drinking/drunk threads out performed the political shit that seems to dominate nowadays...

I think they should be merged.  Every participant will be perma-banned within 24 hours.

10 hours ago, williamjm said:

I was looking on a desktop browser so it's possible it doesn't work on mobile.

I found my account number on my phone (8512, btw). One has to go to the profile page. Then, look at the url, like mentioned above. However, a mobile user may need to cut-n-paste it into a notes app in order to see the entire address.

I too have a low post rate, so I may have to survive into my hundreds in order to remove my n00b status.

20 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I found my account number on my phone (8512, btw). One has to go to the profile page. Then, look at the url, like mentioned above. However, a mobile user may need to cut-n-paste it into a notes app in order to see the entire address.

I too have a low post rate, so I may have to survive into my hundreds in order to remove my n00b status.

So I’m 36,270? Which...give me a few weeks...

On 1/18/2020 at 4:45 PM, larrytheimp said:

If it wasn't for my stalwart OG siqu watching my back I never would have made it through the summer of 2012.  I was really lucky though, I came up with a couple of other fl00b, Board rest their souls, who didn't have the kind of mentorship that I did.  I imagine their suffering, and I weep.

hey i joined that summer and proceeded to come straight here and make some stupid sexist comment about putting ladies on a pedestal... yeah people flamed all the hair off my ass. but i learned a valuable lesson... lurk til you get the lay of the land and keep a close eye on the exits

of course all my warning points came from shooting tequila, suckin lemons off my tree and going north of the wall to the book and show threads and to stir up shit...

14 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

So I’m 36,270? Which...give me a few weeks...

damn...you are nearly half way home...

even if i post all day every day my 2 active brain cells would surely give up the ghost before i reached a quarter of my number...good thing i support the theory: if you have shared a beer with GRRM...you are a member :cheers:

Archived