Watchmen: Nostalgia is a helluva drug. (spoilers)

RumHam

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have to say, this episode was super stupid and really annoying.  It was almost 'lets scare off all the non geeks by putting a load of crap in that makes no sense'. 

Pretty much, yah.  I really don't give a damn about any of the stuff that isn't related specifically to 'right now' and the 'right now' characters, the conspiracy white supremacist Cyclops, 7th K,  and etc. But evidently, due to Nostalgia, Trieu, and Sister Night's back story, they felt it was necessary to put this past sillyness of supers and the rest into the mix, and it isn't working at all, whether one knows all of that from the comix or not.

Whereas, ep. 6, with the exception of the Ozy sillyness, was utterly compelling, this was for most of the time just irritating.

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I have to say, this episode was super stupid and really annoying.  It was almost 'lets scare off all the non geeks by putting a load of crap in that makes no sense'. 

Other than the elephant, which I don't get either, and the intentionally "holy shit wtf?" ending what else didn't make sense? 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

Other than the elephant, which I don't get either

As I understand it, Abar needed to be plugged into Will's brain in order to identify the Nostalgia memories and purge them from her brain. Will isn't willing to be tied up for all that time, so they dosed an elephant with the same Nostalgia overdose as her and used that as a substitute. It would obviously be extremely unethical to use a human for that purpose! Though if Abar has any real memories of being an elephant, it's likely they'd get erased too as collateral damage (fortunately, her having such memories is... not very probable).

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

It seems like every time I turn on the tv that Heart-burn medication commercial with the blue man is on and I am startled to see Dr. Manhattan driving a car!

Now you've got me wondering if the Blue Man Group exists in this alternate reality. 

On 12/4/2019 at 12:21 AM, Kalbear said:

I really don't get the apologia for Judd. He's a fucking racist and Will saw right through him. He was literally a member of a group that descended from Cyclops and is trying to foment white power. He's also charming, as so many racist asshats are. Fuck that guy, and kill him again. 

Want to answer this before I watch the next episode in an hour.  I wouldn't say apologia, but my reason for disbelief is because after episode 7 I think the whole thing is lining up stupid.  Keene and Judd are the clear bad guys which means it's pretty easy to rationalize any ethically questionable actions on behalf of Trieu, Will, or Angela to, ya know, "save humanity."  That a damn boring story, and quite different from what Lindelof usually depicts, let alone what I thought Watchman was about. 

Which raises the other issue of why Jon would allow himself to be so vulnerable.  They're turning him into Superman in which there has to be some contrived reason he can't just neutralize his enemies/the bad guys within a nanosecond.  What I liked about the Watchman story was that wasn't the reason for that character, it was because he half didn't care and half agreed with Adrien.

Ugh, this episode confirmed all my worst suspicions.  Jon narrating like an asshole for an entire episode, without ever addressing the one essential question - why did you choose Angela?  And then the absurdity at the end like he couldn't have ended all that shit with the proverbial snap.  At least, from my understanding, the original comics explained why Veidt's evil plot was shielded from Jon.  Here, we don't get anything, the 7K are able to..capture (?) him just because.  Pretty dumb stuff that I doubt can be reconciled in a finale episode.  Of course, I'll still watch.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

Ugh, this episode confirmed all my worst suspicions.  Jon narrating like an asshole for an entire episode, without ever addressing the one essential question - why did you choose Angela?  And then the absurdity at the end like he couldn't have ended all that shit with the proverbial snap.  At least, from my understanding, the original comics explained why Veidt's evil plot was shielded from Jon.  Here, we don't get anything, the 7K are able to..capture (?) him just because.  Pretty dumb stuff that I doubt can be reconciled in a finale episode.  Of course, I'll still watch.

:agree:   The horse shoe!  The horse shoe!  My kingdom for the want of a horse shoe!

28 minutes ago, DMC said:

It's actually the same as in the comic.  Jon could have stopped Adrians plot because he knew it all along. When he was showing Laurie castles on Mars he could have destroyed the squid and everyone involved with it.  Except he cant..  Similarly he knows exactly when and how he is going to be shot by the tachyon gun but he can't stop it because its all happening at the same time.  Also he may even be gone from the series/season but its just as likely he'll pop back up next episode similarly to how he regains his form after Adrian kills him in 1985.

53 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

It's actually the same as in the comic.  Jon could have stopped Adrians plot because he knew it all along. When he was showing Laurie castles on Mars he could have destroyed the squid and everyone involved with it.  Except he cant..  Similarly he knows exactly when and how he is going to be shot by the tachyon gun but he can't stop it because its all happening at the same time.  Also he may even be gone from the series/season but its just as likely he'll pop back up next episode similarly to how he regains his form after Adrian kills him in 1985.

Yes, but there's a reason why Jon didn't stop the plot in that instance.  What's the reason now?  They have one hour to answer a lot of questions.  I'm not confident.

43 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Since everything seems to follow the soap opera model, I am assuming Dr. Manhattan shows up again.

Since we see him in the preview for next week that doesnt seem like a hard bet. He was shown in the cage. Which since that's what was announced as the plot doesnt seem that odd - he still needs to give his powers over. 

And yeah, the answers went to very stupid. 

-why didnt 7k go after cal before this night? No reason.

-how did will know about judd? Paradox.

-why did dr m do this? Love.

-who was that on Mars? A recording. 

-why did dr m bring ozy to Europa? Cause ozy wanted go go. 

There are some open questions, like how dr m knew about will, what will and trieus plan is, and how his waffle making will make angela a god or whatever - but so far the answers are as deeply stupid and boring as lost or bsg. They are pure simplicity and trite garbage. 

I like it. It shows how nerdy Dr. M is. He knows whats happened and whats going to happen. I personally think that he made himself vulnerable for the sake of falling in love with Angela. Those 10 years he was blindfolded. He knew Dr. O was plotting to destroy him, and him being vulnerable was going to be his biggest opportunity. SO for the sake of love, he put himself in a position to be dependent on humans. Which is where Will come to play and dropping a seed from Angela in the future in Will. And since Dr. M altered the present, was this his price to pay? But it was a nice love story, this last episode.

I liked it. The fact there wasn’t some insane revelation to certain questions doesn’t bother me and that in a lot of cases, it was just something simple that spiraled out of control. I enjoyed the structure of the episode and found the narration worked for me. Lots to finalize next week though.

11 hours ago, Kalbear said:

-why didnt 7k go after cal before this night? No reason.

I assume they just needed time to get everything ready for their plan. When we've seen them they're not just hanging around hating black people, they're collecting batteries and testing portals and shit. 

Also maybe Keene still wants to be president? I'm not sure. But that may have been a factor in the timing. 

11 hours ago, Kalbear said:

-why did dr m bring ozy to Europa? Cause ozy wanted go go. 

I don't get why he can't leave? Is it just that Manhattan made "don't leave" part of the clones core programming and they don't think Ozzy should leave either? 

Archived