Heresy 228 and one over the eight

Black Crow

2 hours ago, redriver said:

He's dissociating himself from bats here, as well as telling Sansa he wont enter the Winged Knight Tourney He's not a jouster and neither was Howland, then or since.

It sure sounds like that.  In the context of the Fledermaus, the bat was a silly sight. He may be commenting on his own stature compared to other winged knights, a silly sight in other words.  In the context of becoming  a mouse with silver wings, one of Sweetrobin's personal guard, for seven years;  he might have other plans.

It doesn't sound like he's there for a bag of  gold or to collect any prize.  He tells Sansa it's not likely at all.  He's posing as a man of arms and biding his time.  It seems more likely to me that he plans to reprise the role of Ser Dontos and flee with the winged wolf girl when the opportunity presents itself.

So why would Ser Shadrich take such an interest in Sansa?  For love? Allegience?  I think it's because he is connected to the old gods as suggested by his sigil.  Sansa must have an important role to play in the larger game that must be protected.    

For what it’s worth, the name Shadrich could be inspired from the biblical tale of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, the biblical tale of three friends of Daniel who were thrown into a furnace by King Nebuchadnezzar  but who came out unburnt.  

ETA:  It should also be noted that Shadrach was an assumed name, given to him after he was taken into custody by the Babylonians.  

I personally think that Shadrich could be one of the knights that had accompanied Ser Marq Piper to the Red Wedding.

The knights were said to be nephews and cousins to Lord Piper.  The Pipers have been described as "runty" and red haired.  

As of A Feast For Crows, the knights and men at arms that accompanied Marq Piper to the Red Wedding were unaccounted for:

"Five knights and twenty men-at-arms went with Marq to the Twins," said Piper.  "Are they your guests as well, Frey?"

"Some of the knights, perhaps.  The others were served no more than they deserved.  You'd do well to guard your traitor's tongue, Piper, unless you want your heir returned in pieces."

Karyl Vance turned to Jaime.  "Lord Piper spoke from grief.  Marq is his firstborn son.  Those knights who accompanied him to the twins were nephews and cousins all."

The choice of the white mouse as a sigil could be appropriate if it is a reference to the tale of the Rat cook.  The Pipers were victims of the Red Wedding, the most notorious violation of guest right so far.

Which would also make Shadrich's change of sigils go from the Dancing Maiden to the white mouse to the winged white mouse, or the Harrenhal bat as suggested by Black Crow.  Perhaps coinciding with Sansa's story arc.  

1 hour ago, Frey family reunion said:

I personally think that Shadrich could be one of the knights that had accompanied Ser Marq Piper to the Red Wedding.

The knights were said to be nephews and cousins to Lord Piper.  The Pipers have been described as "runty" and red haired.  

As of A Feast For Crows, the knights and men at arms that accompanied Marq Piper to the Red Wedding were unaccounted for:

The choice of the white mouse as a sigil could be appropriate if it is a reference to the tale of the Rat cook.  The Pipers were victims of the Red Wedding, the most notorious violation of guest right so far.

Which would also make Shadrich's change of sigils go from the Dancing Maiden to the white mouse to the winged white mouse, or the Harrenhal bat as suggested by Black Crow.  Perhaps coinciding with Sansa's story arc.  

I guess its possible, but I have questions.

The village elder's daughter's doll was a man-at-arms as were many of the Piper men that were killed. Arya ripped it open, pulled out it's "guts", and threw him in the river. That imagery would fit in with the Red Wedding.

Shadrich was with Stannis at the Battle of the Blackwater, but its not clear if he was a bannerman knight of Stannis, or if he was already a hedge knight? If he escaped the Red Wedding and the rest of the Pipers were killed, wouldn't he have returned to Pinkmaiden castle to claim it as it's last living heir? Pinkmaiden bent the knee to the Lannisters, so they retained their home and helped Jaime lay siege to their former liege lord at Riverrun. If Shadrich is a Piper, then he left, because he didn't want to bend the knee to House Lannister, and became a hedge knight then. 

12 minutes ago, Melifeather said:

I guess its possible, but I have questions.

The village elder's daughter's doll was a man-at-arms as were many of the Piper men that were killed. Arya ripped it open, pulled out it's "guts", and threw him in the river. That imagery would fit in with the Red Wedding.

Shadrich was with Stannis at the Battle of the Blackwater, but its not clear if he was a bannerman knight of Stannis, or if he was already a hedge knight? If he escaped the Red Wedding and the rest of the Pipers were killed, wouldn't he have returned to Pinkmaiden castle to claim it as it's last living heir? Pinkmaiden bent the knee to the Lannisters, so they retained their home and helped Jaime lay siege to their former liege lord at Riverrun. If Shadrich is a Piper, then he left, because he didn't want to bend the knee to House Lannister, and became a hedge knight then. 

We really don't know if Shadrich was telling the truth about being at the Battle of the Blackwater, do we?  It may very well be that the Shadrich identity and his backstory are a fiction to hide his true identity and what he's truly after.  It may very well be that Shadrich has been questing for Sansa even before he came into contact with Brienne.

Pinkmaiden's lord and heir are still alive.  The Lord last seen outside of Riverrun in Jaime's war council.  The heir a hostage of the Freys.

Shadrich may very well be working on behalf of the Freys, if he were captured by them, and he was doing their bidding to ensure the safety of Marq Piper.

Or perhaps Shadrich escaped and he is acting on his own behalf or on the behalf of other unidentified parties.

It could also be that Shadrich is both a cousin of the Pipers but may not himself be a Piper.  He very well could be both a cousin to the Pipers but a member of another Riverlands household, perhaps the Whents.

1 hour ago, Frey family reunion said:

We really don't know if Shadrich was telling the truth about being at the Battle of the Blackwater, do we?  It may very well be that the Shadrich identity and his backstory are a fiction to hide his true identity and what he's truly after.  It may very well be that Shadrich has been questing for Sansa even before he came into contact with Brienne.

Pinkmaiden's lord and heir are still alive.  The Lord last seen outside of Riverrun in Jaime's war council.  The heir a hostage of the Freys.

Shadrich may very well be working on behalf of the Freys, if he were captured by them, and he was doing their bidding to ensure the safety of Marq Piper.

Or perhaps Shadrich escaped and he is acting on his own behalf or on the behalf of other unidentified parties.

It could also be that Shadrich is both a cousin of the Pipers but may not himself be a Piper.  He very well could be both a cousin to the Pipers but a member of another Riverlands household, perhaps the Whents.

Well, I'm looking at the patterns that connect Shadrich to Howland and Arya. Shadrich is repeating some historical cycle that both Howland and Arya already experienced. Arya's cycle was nearly the opposite of Howland's, but Shadrich's cycle has so far been an alternative.

Howland didn't seek human help, but he prayed for a way to win. Arya sought human help and she prayed for vengeance. Shadrich didn't pray, because he was the help.

Harrenhal was bustling and full of noise for Howland, eerie and ghostly for Arya, but Shadrich seems to represent Harrenhal itself. Howland was a guest, Arya was a captive, but Shadrich is being paid for his service.

There was a ransom to capture Howland. Arya held Jaqen's life ransom. Shadrich says he's looking to claim a ransom.

A maiden goes missing in all three cycles. In Howland's cycle, Lyanna goes missing, someone is blamed, and the realm goes to war over it. In Arya's cycle, she's the one that goes missing. No one is blamed, because she "isn't missing". The Lannisters and Boltons substituted a fake. In Shadrich's cycle, Brienne slips away and nobody cared - Hibald's man in the stable made no move to stop her - but technically she is replaced by Sansa.

The repeated cycle does suggest that Shadrich is connected to Harrenhal - at least figuratively and symbolically. In Howland's cycle the maiden was his friend. In Arya's cycle, she herself was the maiden. Shadrich's alternate cycle suggests that he's not Sansa's friend. He's just a hedge knight out to make some money. Hopefully Sansa is worth more alive than dead. Lyanna died. Arya is "no one", so symbolically she's dead, which means Sansa should live. She's already been "kidnapped" once by Petyr, so maybe, alternatively, this time the kidnapper is killed.

Post script - maybe Shadrich's name hints at the means of his demise? A fiery furnace.

I've just noticed how the descriptions of Harrenhal could also describe Howland, Arya, and Shadrich. 

Howland: The singing, dancing, and merriment also describe the sigil of the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

Arya: The eerie silence and ghostly noises broken by the sounds of general work seem to describe Arya at the House of Black and White.

Shadrich: The sounds of a roast spitting and crackling over a fire now seems to bolster the idea that Shadrich will die in a fiery furnace.

4 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

This is an interesting.  

According to Ser Jaime Lannister, Lewys resembles his father Clement, who is short, fat, bowlegged and has red hair that is bushy and wild.

Bushy and wild sounds very like a shock of orange hair, (a thick, unruly mass of hair).  Add the runty description and I think we have a Piper or close relation.  

If he ransomed himself at the Blackwater, then he was staying undercover but had sufficient funds for the ransom but didn't want to claim a family name.  If he was attached to the Pipers at the Red Wedding; he may have been considered too insignificant if he presented himself as a hedge knight after the fact.  

I wonder if he is working for the Brotherhood without Banners or Lady Stoneheart rather than the Freys.  

12 hours ago, Black Crow said:

I'm sticking with die Fledermaus

If he does turn out to be something more interesting, then cool. At the moment though, I'm content with him being exactly what he says. A slightly eccentric hedge knight, a bit smarter than most.

I'm all for cigar right now. Happy to be proved wrong later.

I think that the problem with this train of thought is that you are trying to cram all versions of the outcome into the same shoebox when inevitably it changes with each telling. We need to investigate that occurrence independently of the rest. We’re getting closer comparing Arya to the Piper relative with orange hair, but to include Ser Shadrich is to pull in conflicting information from alternative versions. 

@Melifeather I think Lemore is Rhaella top! I had entertained Lyanna before but I think Rhaella makes great sense. I also think if it is possible Daenerys is child of Elia and Rhaegar, would explain why her mother died in childbirth and the Dornish symbolizm. If Rhaella really had a child, I would say she had a stillborn like Barristan heard. 

3 hours ago, Jova Snow said:

@Melifeather I think Lemore is Rhaella top! I had entertained Lyanna before but I think Rhaella makes great sense. I also think if it is possible Daenerys is child of Elia and Rhaegar, would explain why her mother died in childbirth and the Dornish symbolizm. If Rhaella really had a child, I would say she had a stillborn like Barristan heard. 

Wasn’t Barristan’s comment regarding Ashara?

7 hours ago, Black Crow said:

Interesting, but after so long it still amounts to froth and straws :bang:

This read will provide a much needed chuckle: https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/stephen-king-bangs-out-winds-of-winter-on-a-tuesday-for-shits-and-giggles/?fbclid=IwAR1qpj2JqhQ11hCYLjPJx32JYAjCIs2vsILTjdcEsn24-mWuATJqWcrGcRI

18 hours ago, Melifeather said:

I don’t know. If I were GRRM I think I might be frustrated too. None of us has any idea WHY he is having problems getting the book out. He might have a perfectly reasonable explanation. It might even be something out of his control. But he is under no obligation to anyone to share his personal reasons with anyone. 

I was just browsing through some old posts on Quora where I came across this article. And if it’s already been brought up I apologize. It’s the first I’ve seen of it. It makes me wonder a bit more about the role of genetics in ASOIAF. (Don’t bother with the video I think it’s more sarcastic than anything..) But in a day an age when cloning and stem cell research is so controversial, would it be something that actually would interest GRRM? As of yet we don’t know exactly what it is that we are creating with these chimeras. Is it a nightmare or is it a savior? Does it depend on the ethics that are used behind the creation, or is it doomed to be what it will be. The end of the article also mentions combining HUMAN DNA into a monkey. It just fits almost crazy accurate into ASOIAF. First the “sheeps” (Like Dolly) are cloned. Then animal Chimeras. Not a human/ animal hybrid. Kinda curious. 

Monkey Pig Chimera

Archived