Heresy 228 and one over the eight

Black Crow

27 minutes ago, Travis said:

Elaborate on this please. Not exactly sure what you are referring to here.

There was a theory ,oh about 7 years ago which explained all this.Martin  used a complicated code involving hyphens which which explains everything that happens in the novels.

Everything is based on Martin's use of hyphens.

Alien area is probably old enough to remember it.Though it can though it cannot replace his Others=frozen starfish theory.

2 hours ago, redriver said:

There was a theory ,oh about 7 years ago which explained all this.Martin  used a complicated code involving hyphens which which explains everything that happens in the novels.

Alien area is probably old enough to remember it.Though it can though it cannot replace his Others=frozen starfish theory.

Or whompin’ weirwoods...

3 hours ago, redriver said:

Are we talking about the corn code here?  Because I got wrapped up in that one.

On 12/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, Lady Dyanna said:

I don’t know. If I were GRRM I think I might be frustrated too. None of us has any idea WHY he is having problems getting the book out. He might have a perfectly reasonable explanation. It might even be something out of his control. But he is under no obligation to anyone to share his personal reasons with anyone.  

iirc, he said it was a very technical book. This has bugged me for ages.  I am scratching my head to imagine what kind of technicalities he's thinking of here. After all, he cheerfully abandoned most weights and measures and other petty realisms long ago.

4 hours ago, alienarea said:

It's about time someone deciphers the secret code woven into GRRM's punctuation in the Tyrion chapters.

I'd be happy with a code :). Anything, why not? He's got to be working on something.

3 hours ago, redriver said:

Joking aside, I find grrm's writing a bit uneven, his choice of words a bit odd. I don't see this in his other stories that I've read (Nightflyers).

Are there any theories for codes out there that actually might make sense? What would such a code achieve?

(Apologies for butting in - I don't mean to divert the thread, but a quick opinion would mean a lot to me.)

5 hours ago, alienarea said:

It's about time someone deciphers the secret code woven into GRRM's punctuation in the Tyrion chapters.

Think that one is going a bit too far even for me. But I have often wondered about the passages that GRRM has italicized. On first glance there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. But when I was reading through Cersei’s recollections of her visit with “Maggie” it seems that they are definitely there for a reason. Almost makes me wonder if it might indicate a change in the narration of that section. i.e. the characters current thoughts v. A memory, etc. 

Edited to tag @Springwatch  as it seems directly related to his/her question. 

@Springwatch  I have also questioned in the past if GRRM might not be following the rules of Physics, specifically in his use of magic. For each action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Energy is not created or destroyed only transferred. Etc. 

ETA: I started writing this one up YEEAAARRRRS ago but was having trouble locating all of the quotes that I needed. There just weren’t enough hours in the day. 

42 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Ahh me too! I'm still not wholly convinced it isn't true. (I'm joking... mostly) Really though, that was amazing. Wasn't it @Seams that wrote it? 

Geez, I don't know if Seams gets dubious credit for that one.  It was something alright.  Two corns and comma meant something along with three corns and a comma, etc.  What fun we had trying to figure out Mormont's Raven's corn code.  I'm still not convinced that there isn't something fishy about that bird.

11 minutes ago, LynnS said:

Geez, I don't know if Seams gets dubious credit for that one.  It was something alright.  Two corns and comma meant something along with three corns and a comma, etc.  What fun we had trying to figure out Mormont's Raven's corn code.  I'm still not convinced that there isn't something fishy about that bird.

haha! Yes! That bird is tricky. 

I think it was @Ser Creighton not Seams - right? Hell I can't remember but it was awesome anyway. 

On 12/15/2019 at 5:24 PM, Travis said:

Elaborate on this please. Not exactly sure what you are referring to here.

On 12/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, redriver said:

23 hours ago, Melifeather said:

Or whompin’ weirwoods...

22 hours ago, LynnS said:

Are we talking about the corn code here?  Because I got wrapped up in that one.

22 hours ago, redriver said:

That was it. The corn code.

20 hours ago, Springwatch said:

iirc, he said it was a very technical book. This has bugged me for ages.  I am scratching my head to imagine what kind of technicalities he's thinking of here. After all, he cheerfully abandoned most weights and measures and other petty realisms long ago.

I'd be happy with a code :). Anything, why not? He's got to be working on something.

Joking aside, I find grrm's writing a bit uneven, his choice of words a bit odd. I don't see this in his other stories that I've read (Nightflyers).

Are there any theories for codes out there that actually might make sense? What would such a code achieve?

(Apologies for butting in - I don't mean to divert the thread, but a quick opinion would mean a lot to me.)

20 hours ago, Lady Dyanna said:

Think that one is going a bit too far even for me. But I have often wondered about the passages that GRRM has italicized. On first glance there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. But when I was reading through Cersei’s recollections of her visit with “Maggie” it seems that they are definitely there for a reason. Almost makes me wonder if it might indicate a change in the narration of that section. i.e. the characters current thoughts v. A memory, etc. 

Edited to tag @Springwatch  as it seems directly related to his/her question. 

Yes, I'm old enough (54) to remember the corn code. :)

About the punctuation in the Tyrion chapters. I made that up, that was my wicked humor telling you you're overanalyzing (Shadrich, for example).

42 minutes ago, alienarea said:

Yes, I'm old enough (54) to remember the corn code. :)

About the punctuation in the Tyrion chapters. I made that up, that was my wicked humor telling you you're overanalyzing (Shadrich, for example).

I am older than you, (turned 57 yesterday) but I've never even heard of the corn code. I guess I missed out, but I don't think I'm over analyzing - especially regarding Shadrich.

There is a code, if you want to call it that. There is overwhelming evidence of a second, hidden story in every titled chapter. To quote some others, I, "...don't even consider it a theory anymore". I'm sure I've erred on a number of interpretations, but I know that I am not wrong about it's existence.

16 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

I loved me some corn code.  That was the golden age of this board.

Standing on the shoulders of giants...

2 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I think it was @Ser Creighton not Seams - right? Hell I can't remember but it was awesome anyway. 

You're right; I found it here. Wow. Gosh.

Ok, I see there's an essential problem with codes, in that death and disaster is round the corner in almost every thread of the story. Hard not to predict it.

I haven't been posting, since it seems we are just posting stuff already posted.   But I am going to repost what I said about corn, since it has been a few years, and makes more sense than all this word counting and punctuation. 

The Raven eats grain and dead people and dead animals.   He is smart enough to know the word 'corn' means grain, but lacks understanding that different things to eat are called by other words.  So he uses 'corn' to refer to dead people and animals. 

2 hours ago, Melifeather said:

I am older than you, (turned 57 yesterday) but I've never even heard of the corn code. I guess I missed out, but I don't think I'm over analyzing - especially regarding Shadrich.

And I'm older than all of you - except GRRM :commie:

Just now, Black Crow said:

And I'm older than all of you - except GRRM :commie:

Mind you that does prompt me to wonder if we're here because we're old and cynical, while the youngsters can't get beyond the mummers' farce and the in-betweeners fixate on R+L=J

Archived