Lady Nym and Tyene in KL - will they hold their temper?

Greywater-Watch

One of the plot parts I am most interested in is Lady Nym's and Tyene's mission in KL. Tyene to take a place near the High Sparrow disguised as a Septa, and Lady Nym taking Oberyn's place in the Council.

But will they be able to hold their temper and do precisely as Doran Martell has ordered them. i.e. gather information?

Or will they follow Oberyn's path and pick an occasion to take revenge?

Both are highly clever and capable, but KL is a very dangerous place with very clever people in it as well (e.g. the High Sparrow and Varys).

What kind of crucial information to forward or secure Doran's plans could they gather?

Yes and no.

I think Lady Nym will be something of a bully and will push Cersei over the ledge. The one you really have to watch out for is Tyene who might actually strengthen the Faith Militant and give the High Septon even more political power via Arianne. Fortunately for them, Varys will be looking for a wife and queen for Aegon. So, Varys is not going to want to get rid of them...at least, not until after they've proven themselves ineligible and/or dangerous.

It doesn't rise to the level of losing their tempers but I think there will be mistakes made and oversights had.

I think the two of them (especially Tyene) will survive long enough to join the Targaryen court. Just in time for Dany's invasion in Dream.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 1:23 AM, Greywater-Watch said:

One of the plot parts I am most interested in is Lady Nym's and Tyene's mission in KL. Tyene to take a place near the High Sparrow disguised as a Septa, and Lady Nym taking Oberyn's place in the Council.

But will they be able to hold their temper and do precisely as Doran Martell has ordered them. i.e. gather information?

Or will they follow Oberyn's path and pick an occasion to take revenge?

Both are highly clever and capable, but KL is a very dangerous place with very clever people in it as well (e.g. the High Sparrow and Varys).

What kind of crucial information to forward or secure Doran's plans could they gather?

I think one of them is going to lose their cool and kill Tommen. 

7 hours ago, argonak said:

I think one of them is going to lose their cool and kill Tommen. 

I think you're right. I saw a comment speculating that Doran and Arianne will be killed because of Doran's flawed tactic of playing the waiting game. After they're gone, I don't think Nym is going to care anymore and will probably kill both the weakened Boros Blount and Tommen.

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 10:27 PM, AlienCarnivore said:

I think you're right. I saw a comment speculating that Doran and Arianne will be killed because of Doran's flawed tactic of playing the waiting game. After they're gone, I don't think Nym is going to care anymore and will probably kill both the weakened Boros Blount and Tommen.

I can't get past the idea I have of Arya warging Balerion and dipping its paws in poison before scratching Tommen.  Maybe one of the sand snaked could dip one of Tommens own cats paws in poison somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Nymeria: Obara would make Oldtown our father's funeral pyre, but I am not so greedy. Four lives will suffice for me. Lord Tywin's golden twins, as payment for Elia's children. The old lion, for Elia herself. And last of all the little king, for my father.

Doran: The boy has never wronged us.

Nymeria: Only royal blood can wash out my father's murder.

It ends in blood, as it began. It ends when Casterly Rock is cracked open, so the sun can shine on the maggots and the worms within. It ends with the utter ruin of Tywin Lannister and all his works.

Nymeria's opinion about the Lannisters is this. Her decline to a toast for Tommen means her opinion hasn't changed despite her imprisonment.

Tyene on the other hand is skilled with poison. 

Cersei's plan to kill Trystane and the Mountain reappearing in King's Landing will make them crazy. 

• 4 weeks later...

Nymeria will probably be the one to stoke Lanniste-Tyrell tensions in the Small Council even more, though she probably wouldn't do anything dangerous. As for Tyene, well she's going to have a lot more power in one regard then people expect. Margery's trial is going to be taken in front of Seven men/women representing a face of the Seven. And the High Septon is going to have need of a Maiden. And who better then the purest looking ,,maiden" that just so happens to be close to him. I think Tyene will be a judge in Margery's trial and probably will not be able to help herself in making it all political and trying to screw the Lannister-Tyrell alliance even more (hard to say if it's going to be with a guilty or not guilty verdict though).

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/11/2020 at 9:38 AM, Alyn Oakenfist said:

Nymeria will probably be the one to stoke Lanniste-Tyrell tensions in the Small Council even more, though she probably wouldn't do anything dangerous. As for Tyene, well she's going to have a lot more power in one regard then people expect. Margery's trial is going to be taken in front of Seven men/women representing a face of the Seven. And the High Septon is going to have need of a Maiden. And who better then the purest looking ,,maiden" that just so happens to be close to him. I think Tyene will be a judge in Margery's trial and probably will not be able to help herself in making it all political and trying to screw the Lannister-Tyrell alliance even more (hard to say if it's going to be with a guilty or not guilty verdict though).

I haven't read this theory before - I really like it!

Nymeria is a much more interesting case.  I don't think that she will be able to keep her cool and I think it is a mistake on Doran's behalf to trust her on the small council.  I do wonder what the reaction will be to Nymeria when it is revealed that Dorne is going to side with Aegon.  It is sad that Martin has said that we won't be getting any new viewpoints in TWOW - Nymeria or Tyene were my favourite guesses in that game!

Cersei's 'backseat' in KL politicking is probably going to mean that we won't see anywhere near as much of the Small Council in this book, unless of course Kevan's death means that she'll get reinstated as Queen Regent? 

• 1 month later...

I wonder if Tyene, who is presumably not in possession of an intact maidenhead (just going off her being a sand snake, I can’t recall if this is confirmed), might be subject to an invasive examination from Septa Unella and the like. I am wondering if Doran was a little too confident in Tyene’s ability to slip right into the new High Septon’s hegemony. We know the High Septon has already shown how quickly he can unravel treacherous plots. On the other hand, the treachery of Cersei and to a lesser extent Margeary were subject to more widespread rumor, while Tyene will be going in as an unknown, so maybe I am overblowing the risk to her.

• 5 weeks later...

Obviously, Tyene , is much more dangerous than Lady Nym. 

Tyene is the true threat, since she can work from the shadows, while all eyes are fixed up Nym. I think that is kinda the point: We have to see Nym as the one not being able to hold her temper, while that is not what is going to happen. Before Nym strikes, she wants all of the Laninsters in the same room and die at the same time, while Tyene doesn't care who dies first or how they die. 

Archived