The books coming out in 2021/2022

AncalagonTheBlack

As Ants to the Gods, an alternate history novel by Alex Burcher comes out on kindle tomorrow, and paperback in August. It essentially explores what would have happened if the Moors in 711 CE had defeated the Franks at Tour.

https://elsewhen.press/index.php/catalogue/title/as-ants-to-the-gods/

It's published by Elsewhen Press, an independent publisher. The link has links to the usual ebook vendors plus more info.

My own 3rd published novel, Lord of the Hunt (Sooty Feathers #2) came out as paperback last week, available direct from the publisher's site (or Amazon UK). Postage is a bit costly, though. As it's through Amazon marketplace, Amazon basically make up an estimated arrival date of approx. 3 weeks or more, but the books always arrive much sooner, usually about a week.

• 1 month later...

Adrian Tchaikovsky Sells Epic Space Opera Trilogy
https://www.tor.com/2020/07/08/adrian-tchaikovsky-sells-epic-space-opera-trilogy/

Adrian Tchaikovsky, who earned the 2016 Arthur C. Clarke Award for his novel Children of Time and the 2019 British Science Fiction Association Award for its sequel Children of Ruin, has sold a new epic science fiction trilogy, The Final Architecture, to Pan McMillan and Orbit Books, according to The Bookseller.

But this new trilogy won’t be connected to those novels. “The big difference is that I’m shooting for space opera,” he informed me, “whereas Children of Time / Ruin was always intended as more of a hard SF, in that the science, even the giant spiders, was curtailed by what we currently think to be possible and how we think the universe works.”

This trilogy will shift away from hard SF and venture more into space opera territory. “The Final Architecture is a setting with multiple space-faring alien races in which FTL travel between star systems is a commonplace event, which makes a huge difference to the societies and resources of the characters involved.”

• 4 months later...

Blurb for Steven Erikson's The God is Not Willing - The First Tale of Witness:

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/1083158/the-god-is-not-willing/9781787632868.html

Spoiler

Many years have passed since three Teblor warriors brought carnage and chaos to the small lakeside settlement of Silver Lake. While the town has recovered, the legacy of that past horror remains, even if the Teblor tribes of the north no longer venture into the southlands. One of those three, Karsa Orlong, is now deemed to be a god, albeit an indifferent one. In truth, many new cults and religions have emerged across the Malazan world, including those who worship Coltaine, the Black-Winged God, and - popular among the Empire's soldiery - followers of the cult of Iskar Jarak, Guardian of the Dead.

A legion of Malazan marines is on the march towards Silver Lake. responding to intelligence that indicates the tribes beyond the border are stirring. The marines aren't quite sure what they're going to be facing but, while the Malazan military has evolved and these are not the marines of old, one thing hasn't changed: they'll handle whatever comes at them. Or die trying

Meanwhile, in the high mountains, where dwell the tribes of the Teblor, a new warleader has risen. Scarred by the deeds of Karsa Orlong, he intends to confront his god, even if he has to cut a bloody path through the Malazan Empire to do it. Higher in the mountains, a new threat has emerged, and now the Teblor are running out of time.

The long feared invasion is about to begin. And this time it won't be three simple warriors. This time thousands are poised to flood the lands of the south. And in their way, a single legion of Malazan marines...

It seems the past is about to revisit Silver Lake, and that is never a good thing...

On 4/14/2020 at 12:06 AM, Jussi said:

Daniel Abraham's next novel, first book in a new epic fantasy trilogy, will be published by Orbit in hardcover in February 2021:

https://www.edelweiss.plus/#sku=0316421847

I still dont see this up on amazon.com or UK, looks like its not coming.

On 11/23/2020 at 11:42 PM, Jussi said:

Blurb for Steven Erikson's The God is Not Willing - The First Tale of Witness:

https://www.penguin.co.uk/books/1083158/the-god-is-not-willing/9781787632868.html

Reveal hidden contents

Many years have passed since three Teblor warriors brought carnage and chaos to the small lakeside settlement of Silver Lake. While the town has recovered, the legacy of that past horror remains, even if the Teblor tribes of the north no longer venture into the southlands. One of those three, Karsa Orlong, is now deemed to be a god, albeit an indifferent one. In truth, many new cults and religions have emerged across the Malazan world, including those who worship Coltaine, the Black-Winged God, and - popular among the Empire's soldiery - followers of the cult of Iskar Jarak, Guardian of the Dead.

A legion of Malazan marines is on the march towards Silver Lake. responding to intelligence that indicates the tribes beyond the border are stirring. The marines aren't quite sure what they're going to be facing but, while the Malazan military has evolved and these are not the marines of old, one thing hasn't changed: they'll handle whatever comes at them. Or die trying

Meanwhile, in the high mountains, where dwell the tribes of the Teblor, a new warleader has risen. Scarred by the deeds of Karsa Orlong, he intends to confront his god, even if he has to cut a bloody path through the Malazan Empire to do it. Higher in the mountains, a new threat has emerged, and now the Teblor are running out of time.

The long feared invasion is about to begin. And this time it won't be three simple warriors. This time thousands are poised to flood the lands of the south. And in their way, a single legion of Malazan marines...

It seems the past is about to revisit Silver Lake, and that is never a good thing...

What happened to Esslemont’s Jhistal novel? It was supposed to release this month but Amazon are saying unavailable and arent even showing a cover

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I was JUST thinking about that. It seems to have just disappeared from existence.

Total mystery to me. Amazon Canada and the UK have pages up for it, but not much beyond that. Can't help but wonder if they're pushing it back a bit to align better with the release of The Fiends of Nightmaria and the new Karsa trilogy? Nothing like a hat-trick and a variety of options to really reinvigorate interest in a series. 

• 2 weeks later...

Artifact Space By Miles Cameron - Coming June 2021 From Gollancz.

https://christiancameronauthor.com/book/artifact-space/

Gollancz has landed a sci-fi debut by fantasy novelist Miles Cameron, who also writes historical fiction as Christian Cameron.

Gillian Redfearn, deputy publisher, acquired world rights from Shelly Power of the Shelly Power Literary Agency. For publication in June 2021, Artifact Space is billed as “a perfect starfaring novel, blending space opera with grounded military SF in a wholly original and compelling way”.

The synopsis states: “Midshipper Marca Nbaro has achieved the near-impossible. She’s made it from an orphanage to the Athens—one of the incomparable Greatships—escaping her upbringing and seizing a new life for herself among the stars. All it took was thousands of hours in simulators, dedication, and pawning or selling every scrap of her old life in order to forge a new one. But though she’s made her way onboard with faked papers, leaving her old life—and scandals—behind isn’t so easy. She may have just combined all the dangers of her former life, with all the perils of the new...”

Cameron is a fantasy novelist who lives in Toronto, Canada. He is a military veteran with a degree in Medieval History. His debut novel The Red Knight (Gollancz), first in The Traitor Son series, was nominated for the David Gemmell Morningstar award. It was followed by the Masters and Mages series, which begins with Bright Steel (Gollancz).

He explained: “Right at the start of Covid-19 I had an idea that took over my brain. It had three roots; years ago, during a Gollancz Festival, Alistair Reynolds suggested I base a novel on my experience of aircraft carriers, being the closest experience on Earth to living in Space. At the beginning of this year, I read a brilliant piece of non-fiction on the Great Galleys of Venice and the long-distance carrying trade. And finally, while I was reading that, I went to see 'Little Women' with my family. It must have been the night before theatres closed. And there it was: the character of Amy came together with the vibe and vitality of Ventian trade, plus aircraft carriers. I started writing that night, and finished Artifact Space in... 48 days? I hope you enjoy it, because it absolutely poured out of me.”

Redfearn added: "When an author is so excited about a new project, you know you have to pay attention, and Artifact Space is epic science fiction at its best. An SF adventure which is absolutely grounded in military reality is a rare and wonderful thing—special in the same way The Martian is powerful for feeling real, so Miles Cameron had my attention the moment he mentioned this idea. But the clincher for me was Marca Nbaro: she’s exceptional, self-taught, always fighting imposter syndrome, and sharing her adventure is a joy. This release will be a highlight of 2021."

The Cameron one sounds cool.

Also, I'm a big K.J. Parker fan, so I periodically look for whether he has new stuff coming out, which he usually does.

According to Amazon UK, he has two books coming out from Orbit - one just listed as "Untited", coming out in August 2021 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/New-K-J-Parker-Novel/dp/0316498610/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=k.j.+parker&qid=1607622216&s=books&sr=1-2

The other is another book in his  "Siege" series ("16 Ways" and "How to Rule")- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Untitled-Siege-Novel-Book/dp/0356514390/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=k.j.+parker&qid=1607622216&s=books&sr=1-1 , coming out in September 2021.

Although the ISBN's are different, I kind of wonder if it's two entries for the same book, since the page number is identical, and it's kind of odd that they are just a month apart.

14 hours ago, Brother Longfoot said:

The other is another book in his  "Siege" series ("16 Ways" and "How to Rule")- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Untitled-Siege-Novel-Book/dp/0356514390/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=k.j.+parker&qid=1607622216&s=books&sr=1-1 , coming out in September 2021.

Wait, huh? Spoilers for the first two books:

Spoiler

The siege ended at the end of the second book. The city was evacuated right before it fell, and then a plague wiped out the attackers. The main villain is as good as dead. So are all the characters from the first book (it was a rather lengthy siege), while the second book didn't have many characters to be attached to, and their arc is over anyway. What story is possibly left to tell at this point? 

6 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

Wait, huh? Spoilers for the first two books:

Hide contents

The siege ended at the end of the second book. The city was evacuated right before it fell, and then a plague wiped out the attackers. The main villain is as good as dead. So are all the characters from the first book (it was a rather lengthy siege), while the second book didn't have many characters to be attached to, and their arc is over anyway. What story is possibly left to tell at this point? 

That is a very good question.  When the second book was announced, I kind of wondered whether Parker would eventually write a book from the POV of the "barbarian invaders", because he has had such characters as POV or at least prominent characters in other books.  As you note, that it unlikely with the exact group featured in the first two works, but maybe something like that could happen?

One other thought - 

Spoiler

So, from what I remember, the second book ended with Hodda (I think that was her name) as a feted actress in the Sasanian Empire equivalent and Notker was living there inconspicuously and watching her performances.  I could see a situation where that place got besieged (and perhaps one of those two was a main character again).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/25/2020 at 2:32 PM, Garlan the Gallant said:

This is anecdotal, but 2021 does not look like a good year for the books I am interested in; I've never had so few books pre-ordered before.

Me too. Apart from WoW, DoS, and Thorn of Emberlain (let's not), there's no new Jim Butcher in the offing, no Ben Aaronovitch.  The books I am expecting are from newish authors, or productive ones who produce a book a year: 

1. Siege of Rage and Ruin (Django Wexler)

2.  Leviathan's Fall (James S.A. Corey - no release date yet). 

3.  Fall of Babel (Bancroft - no release date yet). 

4.  the Empire's Ruin (Staveley - July 2021)

5.  A Desert Torn Asunder (Beaulieu - July 2021.  BTW DO NOT READ THE AMAZON DESCRIPTION AS IT IS REPLETE WITH SPOILERS)

6.  A Desolation Called Peace (Martin, March 2021). 

7.  The Wisdom of Crowds (Abercrombie, Sep 2021)

8.  Risen (Benedict Jacka, Dec 2021). 

Honestly, this is the first year in my life when I'm more excited about movies/tv than books.  Dune, the Boys season 3, the Witcher Season 2, Stranger Things next season, LOTR: The Second Age, WoT.   

5 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Me too. Apart from WoW, DoS, and Thorn of Emberlain (let's not), there's no new Jim Butcher in the offing, no Ben Aaronovitch.

While we don't know when the next Rivers of London novel might arrive, Aaronovitch does have a novella What Abigail Did That Summer coming out in March:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/What-Abigail-Did-That-Summer-ebook/dp/B08L5ZP9D7/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3SJGZK8HNHO54&dchild=1&keywords=ben+aaronovitch&qid=1609260195&sprefix=ben+aar%2Caps%2C231&sr=8-5

On 12/29/2020 at 8:38 AM, Gaston de Foix said:

Me too. Apart from WoW, DoS, and Thorn of Emberlain (let's not), there's no new Jim Butcher in the offing, no Ben Aaronovitch.  The books I am expecting are from newish authors, or productive ones who produce a book a year: 

1. Siege of Rage and Ruin (Django Wexler)

2.  Leviathan's Fall (James S.A. Corey - no release date yet). 

3.  Fall of Babel (Bancroft - no release date yet). 

4.  the Empire's Ruin (Staveley - July 2021)

5.  A Desert Torn Asunder (Beaulieu - July 2021.  BTW DO NOT READ THE AMAZON DESCRIPTION AS IT IS REPLETE WITH SPOILERS)

6.  A Desolation Called Peace (Martin, March 2021). 

7.  The Wisdom of Crowds (Abercrombie, Sep 2021)

8.  Risen (Benedict Jacka, Dec 2021). 

Honestly, this is the first year in my life when I'm more excited about movies/tv than books.  Dune, the Boys season 3, the Witcher Season 2, Stranger Things next season, LOTR: The Second Age, WoT.   

I have the following:

1) The Black Rock by Mark Lawrence - April 2021 (I have yet to read the first of the series so not sure if I will end up purchasing this)

2) The Broken God by Gareth Hanrahan - May 2021 (I have yet to read the second of the series so not sure if I will end up purchasing this)

3) The Hidden Palace by Helene Wecker - June 2021

4) The Witness for the Dead by Katherine Addison - June 2021

5) The Last Graduate by Naomi Novik - July 2021

6) Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff - September 2021 (Will probably read reviews prior to confirming my purchase)

7) The Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercombie - September 2021

8) Jade Legacy by Fonda Lee - September 2021

9) Leviathan Falls by James S.A. Corey - I think this is supposed to come out on October 28, 2021

10) The God is Not Willing by Steven Erikson - November 2021

Other books that I am interested in and may buy based on reviews are Artifact Space by Miles Cameron, The Bright Sword by Lev Grossman, The 22 Murders of Madison May by Max Barry, A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers, The Shadow of the Gods by John Gwynne, The Pariah by Anthony Ryan, A History of What Comes Next by Sylvain Neuvel, Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky, and The Blacktongue Thief by Christopher Buehlman.

Books that I would buy that I don't expect to come out in 2021 are:

1) The No God Book 1 by R. Scott Bakker (Is this still a thing?)

2) The Founders Trilogy Book 3 by Robert Jackson Bennett

3) The Tempest of Echoes by Chistelle Dabos

4) Outlaw Empire by Nicholas Eames (I don't think this is coming out until 2022)

5) Evertide Book 2 by Todd Lockwood

6) The Thorn of Emberlain by Scott Lynch

7) The Winds of Winter by GRRM

8) In the Shadow of Lightning by Brian McClellan (I don't think is coming out until 2022)

9) The Doors of Stone by that guy on Twitch

10) The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson (I don't think is coming out until 2022)

12 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

I have the following:

1) The Black Rock by Mark Lawrence - April 2021 (I have yet to read the first of the series so not sure if I will end up purchasing this)

2) The Broken God by Gareth Hanrahan - May 2021 (I have yet to read the second of the series so not sure if I will end up purchasing this)

3) The Hidden Palace by Helene Wecker - June 2021

4) The Witness for the Dead by Katherine Addison - June 2021

5) The Last Graduate by Naomi Novik - July 2021

6) Empire of the Vampire by Jay Kristoff - September 2021 (Will probably read reviews prior to confirming my purchase)

7) The Wisdom of Crowds by Joe Abercombie - September 2021

8) Jade Legacy by Fonda Lee - September 2021

9) Leviathan Falls by James S.A. Corey - I think this is supposed to come out on October 28, 2021

10) The God is Not Willing by Steven Erikson - November 2021

Other books that I am interested in and may buy based on reviews are Artifact Space by Miles Cameron, The Bright Sword by Lev Grossman, The 22 Murders of Madison May by Max Barry, A Psalm for the Wild-Built by Becky Chambers, The Shadow of the Gods by John Gwynne, The Pariah by Anthony Ryan, A History of What Comes Next by Sylvain Neuvel, Shards of Earth by Adrian Tchaikovsky, and The Blacktongue Thief by Christopher Buehlman.

Books that I would buy that I don't expect to come out in 2021 are:

1) The No God Book 1 by R. Scott Bakker (Is this still a thing?)

2) The Founders Trilogy Book 3 by Robert Jackson Bennett

3) The Tempest of Echoes by Chistelle Dabos

4) Outlaw Empire by Nicholas Eames (I don't think this is coming out until 2022)

5) Evertide Book 2 by Todd Lockwood

6) The Thorn of Emberlain by Scott Lynch

7) The Winds of Winter by GRRM

8) In the Shadow of Lightning by Brian McClellan (I don't think is coming out until 2022)

9) The Doors of Stone by that guy on Twitch

10) The Lost Metal by Brandon Sanderson (I don't think is coming out until 2022)

Interesting list.  

1.  Did you read Helen Wecker's first book the Golem and the Jinni? Do you recommend?

2.  I stopped reading Mark Lawrence after being disappointed with how his Ancestors trilogy ended.  I did have the first book on my 2020 list but never read it.   

3.  I have Novik and Addison on my 2021 list as well.  Novik's first scholomance was great fun, I picked it up from the related best of 2020 thread.  

4.  Kristoff and Fonda Lee are new to me.   Have you read their work?

5.  I've read most everything Anthony Ryan has written but the Raven's Blade duology was mildly disappointing.  His pilgrimage of swords is excellent though.  Would recommend if you haven't picked it up. 

6.  I expect Robert Jackson Bennett to publish his third volume from your hope but not expect list, but not the others from amongst the ones I've heard of.  

13 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Interesting list.  

1.  Did you read Helen Wecker's first book the Golem and the Jinni? Do you recommend?

2.  I stopped reading Mark Lawrence after being disappointed with how his Ancestors trilogy ended.  I did have the first book on my 2020 list but never read it.   

3.  I have Novik and Addison on my 2021 list as well.  Novik's first scholomance was great fun, I picked it up from the related best of 2020 thread.  

4.  Kristoff and Fonda Lee are new to me.   Have you read their work?

5.  I've read most everything Anthony Ryan has written but the Raven's Blade duology was mildly disappointing.  His pilgrimage of swords is excellent though.  Would recommend if you haven't picked it up. 

6.  I expect Robert Jackson Bennett to publish his third volume from your hope but not expect list, but not the others from amongst the ones I've heard of.  

1. I liked The Golem and the Jinni but I don’t really remember a lot of it. I would generally recommend. It’s more along the lines of something similar to Robin Hobb, as in a heavier character study than action.

2. I liked the Ancestor series but I didn’t like The Red Queen’s War so I was apprehensive about this latest one.

3. Novik is hit and miss for me. I loved Uprooted and her latest book but Spinning Silver disappointed and I stopped reading the Temeraire series midway. The only thing I have read from Addison is The Goblin Emperor, which at this point I don’t really remember well. This next book is the follow up from The Goblin Emperor.

4. Jay Kristoff’s first trilogy was okay but showed promise, even if it was derivative. Fonda Lee’s first trilogy is pretty amazing so far. Highly recommend her.

5. Honestly, the only book I have actually thought was good that Ryan wrote was his very first. I only read his first series and the first entry of his second. Still, I check the reviews on his new series to see if he might come close to recapturing some of that early magic.

6. The Founders series has been amazing. It sounds like you have liked it too. Clef and Orso are some of my favorite characters of any new series. 

Archived