The books coming out in 2021/2022

AncalagonTheBlack

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw today that Lois McMaster Bujold has said there's a tenth Penric and Desdemona story coming soon. She said that it was intended as another novella but accidentally turned into a novel, which I feel is a fortunate accident.

7 hours ago, williamjm said:

I saw today that Lois McMaster Bujold has said there's a tenth Penric and Desdemona story coming soon. She said that it was intended as another novella but accidentally turned into a novel, which I feel is a fortunate accident.

That's very welcome news. I've hardly got any LMB left to read, which is a surprising position to be in since I think I only started on her back catalogue last summer/autumn. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was anxiously awaiting for a book to be published in the near future.  However, while scanning some reviews, I noticed that it ends in a cliffhanger.  Now, I'm thinking that I would rather wait another year or two after the sequel is also published.

The name of the book is:

The Last Graduate (Scholomance, book 2) by Naomi Novik

1 hour ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I was anxiously awaiting for a book to be published in the near future.  However, while scanning some reviews, I noticed that it ends in a cliffhanger.  Now, I'm thinking that I would rather wait another year or two after the sequel is also published.

The name of the book is:

Reveal hidden contents

The Last Graduate (Scholomance, book 2) by Naomi Novik

Waiting sounds like a good idea, but realistically I know I'm not going to. Enjoyed the first one too much. I need my fix. 

5 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Ha, yeah, I won’t be waiting a year for the third book.

How about looking into Patrick Rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles trilogy? I can pretty much guarantee that your worry of having to wait one year for the third book will not happen.

Ten years, however? That's about fifty-fifty, I'd say. The other fifty being the odds of the book never being released at all.

6 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Ha, yeah, I won’t be waiting a year for the third book.

I actually thought it was just the two books. So they’re continuing the story after she graduates?

Google tells me it is a trilogy. Interesting, I suppose there is plenty of scope for stuff outside the school. Or maybe she gets trapped in there or something, or they just don’t get to graduate yet despite the title.

• 1 month later...

Last year, I found the Bobiverse series.  It was a lot of fun.  Today, I got to wondering if there will be a book 5.  Evidently, there will be.  The author's website has this bit of news:  "I’ve signed a new book deal with Audible, for 2 Bobiverse and 2 non-Bobiverse books."

Personally, I'm really excited about this news.  Even though book 4 wasn't as good as the orginal trilogy, it did a lot to set up the civil war that was mentioned in its back cover description.

New works, new editions, as well as older but still popular titles, are going to be taking longer to become available in print, and / or will run out.

"‘The Beginning of the Snowball’: Supply-Chain Snarls Delay Books
Shipping delays, printer backups and worker shortages are forcing publishers to postpone new titles and leaving booksellers in a lurch for some old ones."

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/04/books/book-publishing-supply-chain-delays.html

.... The churning disruption in the global supply chain, which has touched everything from minivans to dishwashers to sweaters, has now reached the world of books, just as the holiday season — a crucial time for publishers, and a period that can make or break the entire year for an independent bookstore — approaches. Publishers are postponing some release dates because books aren’t where they need to be. Older books are also being affected as suppliers struggle to replenish them.

To get a book printed and into customers’ hands, there are essentially two different supply chains. On both paths, at virtually every step, there is a problem. ...

Plus labor shortages at every step from loading and unloading containers, truck drivers, warehouse staff, etc.

Partner and I, we've gotten so used to astonishing rapidity of order fulfillment; we order a book online in the evening and it's arrived the next day!  Of course, generally these aren't 'popular' entertainment sorts of titles.  But the article does mention this affects new university press works too, which make up a lot of our orders.

• 4 weeks later...

Excited for November SFF releases, we've good some really good stuff, the final Expanse book, Leviathan Falls, new books from Tad Williams, Nnedi Okorafor, Neal Stephenson!

Tad Williams - Brothers of the Wind • The Last King of Osten Ard
Josiah Bancroft - The Fall of Babel • Books of Babel #4    
Ken Liu - The Veiled Throne • Dandelion Dynasty #3
Adrian Tchaikovsky - Elder Race
Neal Stephenson - Termination Shock
James S. A. Corey - Leviathan Falls • Expanse #9
Fonda Lee Jade - Legacy • The Green Bone Saga #3
Andrea Stewart - The Bone Shard Emperor • The Drowning Empire #2
Carlos Ruiz Zafón - The City of Mist • Cemetery of Forgotten Books
Ken MacLeod - Beyond the Hallowed Sky • The Lightspeed Trilogy #1
Steven Erikson - The God Is Not Willing • Witness Trilogy #1
Dave Eggers - The Every • The Circle (Eggers) #2
Louise Erdrich - The Sentence
Nnedi Okorafor  -  Noor
A. J. Hackwith  -  The God of Lost Words • Hell's Library #3
Kim Newman - Something More Than Night
Natasha Bowen- Skin of the Sea • Skin of the Sea #1
Ada Palmer - Perhaps the Stars • Terra Ignota #4

November's rarely as bad as I expect it to be - that honour normally goes to February, which often catches me by surprise with its awfulness. Still, good to have some fun reading available as the nights draw in. I'm looking forward to the new Adrian Tchaikovsky on (*checks*) the sixteenth. A mid-month boost. 

Archived