Jon Snow and the blood of the First Men

un_Autre_monde

It is strongly suggested that Jon Snow has Stark blood.   

He had the Stark face if not the name.

AGOT – Tyrion II

« Who’s this one now? » Craster said before Jon could go. « He has the look of a Stark. »

ACOK – Jon III

And it is said and repeated that :

« The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks. »

AGOT – Bran I

For her sake, Ned had built a small sept where she might sing to the seven faces of god, but the blood of the First Men still flowed in the veins of the Starks, and his own gods were the old ones, the nameless, faceless gods of the greenwood they shared with the vanished children of the forest.

AGOT – Catelyn I

The gods of the sept had nothing to do with him; the blood of the First Men flowed in the veins of the Starks.

AGOT – Jon VI

« All I know is that the blood of the First Men flows in the veins of the Starks. The First Men built the Wall, and it’s said they remember things otherwise forgotten. »

AGOT – Jon IX

« The wildling blood is the blood of the First Men, the same blood that flows in the veins of the Starks. »

ASOS – Jon I

This is the first description of Jon Snow :

Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast.

AGOT – Bran I

And this is the first description of the children of the forest :

« They were a people dark and beautiful. Slight as they were, the children were quick and graceful. »

AGOT – Bran VII

Note that the two quotes are from the very first book. I don’t think the similarities between the two descriptions are a coincidence.

I think the blood of the children of the forest flows in the veins of Jon Snow.

(And I think the cross-description of Jon and Robb shows the differences between the CotF and the First Men.)

To keep this post short I will focus only on the first appearance of Jon, in the first chapter of the first book.

[Sidenote : From the second paragraph of this chapter we are introduced to the idea of half-human babies (sired with Others, in this case). The CotF are mentioned two paragraphs later.

[Lord Eddard Stark] had a grim cast to his grey eyes this day, and he seemed not at all the man who would sit before the fire in the evening and talk softly of the age of heroes and the children of the forest.

So it is through Ned that we hear about this so mysterious people for the first time.]

Back to Jon Snow. There are two more hints that Jon has CotF blood in that chapter.

It is said that the CotF eyes « can see down passages where a boy’s eyes saw only blackness ».

Jon’s eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see.

AGOT – Bran I

Of course there is context : this sentence does not mean that Jon can see in the dark.

But I think it is an allusion to the CotF special acuity. It is something you often find in characters having CotF blood.

Jojen’s eyes were the color of moss, and sometimes when he looked at you he seemed to be seeing something else.

ACOK – Bran IV

Her father’s eyes had always been unsettling; pale green, almost luminous, flecked with gold. His eyes could see inside you, could see how weak and worthless and ugly you were down deep. When he looked at you, you knew.

AFFC – Cersei II

Back to Jon Snow again.

It is said that the CotF ears «  can hear things that no man can hear ».

This is Jon finding Ghost :

Halfway across the bridge, Jon pulled up suddenly.
« What is it, Jon? » their lord father asked.
« Can’t you hear it? »
Bran could hear the wind in the trees, the clatter of their hooves on the ironwood planks, the whimpering of his hungry pup, but Jon was listening to something else.

« There, » Jon said. He swung his horse around and galloped back across the bridge. They watched him dismount where the direwolf lay dead in the snow, watched him kneel. A moment later he was riding back to them, smiling.
AGOT – Ban I

He found himself remembering how he'd found [Ghost], that day in the late summer snow. They had been riding off with the other pups, but Jon had heard a noise and turned back.

AGOT - Jon VIII

So here it is. I think that humans interbred with CotF in the past, and that the blood of both peoples has been passed down from generation to generation, to Jon Snow.

He was who he was ; Jon Snow, bastard and oathbreaker, motherless, friendless, and damned. For the rest of his life — however long that might be — he would be condemned to be an outsider, the silent man standing in the shadows who dares not speak his true name.

AGOT – Jon IX

The child smiled. « Men, they are the children. »

« Do you have a name? » asked Bran.

« When I am needing one. » She waved her torch toward the black crack in the back wall of the cave.

ADWD – Bran II

I agree. It's very likely that the Starks have CotF blood, it would certainly explain their magical abilities. With Jon, Arya and Bran it's obvious, but even with Sansa, who is adrift, there's several good hints that she has too. Example: predicting the future in off remarks. 

Yes I think Jon has the blood of the First Men through his mother. I also like the idea that to seal the pact that ended the Long Night 8000 years ago, the proto-Starks agreed to interbreed with the Others (and maybe provide blood sacrifice to them as well which may have been what the Night's King was doing), so House Stark (including Jon) has the blood of the Others in their veins, I think it is an interesting contrast to the blood of the dragon in House Targaryen (fire magic) making Jon's the song of ice and fire. I agree with what you say, mayhaps to end the war with the Children the First Men interbred with them, allowing for the Starks to have greensight and warg abilities. 

We can't really be sure that the Pact was sealed by marriage, but we're told that when Rickard Stark married the daughter of the last Marsh King after he slew him. The blood of the children might come from there.

Jon is an interesting mix of bloodlines when we start going down those family trees. First Men, the children of the forest possibly, Rhoynar, Andal, Valyrian, Others blood maybe. 

9 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

We can't really be sure that the Pact was sealed by marriage, but we're told that when Rickard Stark married the daughter of the last Marsh King after he slew him. The blood of the children might come from there.

Jon is an interesting mix of bloodlines when we start going down those family trees. First Men, the children of the forest possibly, Rhoynar, Andal, Valyrian, Others blood maybe. 

This is a good point, Jon could very well be descended at the very least Andals, First Men, Rhoynar, Valyrians and lyseni(through Larra Rogare, wife of Viserys II), assuming R+L=J.

And it's not out of the question the the CotF bred with first men, not to mention the possibility if wildlings through Beal the Bard and the others through the Nights king(if he really was a Stark.)

The north is an isolated area where distances between families is large.  The nobility policy of marrying only nobility further limit the gene pool.  So Jon Snow will have been produced from a limited gene pool:  First Men and White Walker DNA is my guess.

On 11/23/2019 at 10:29 PM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

We're told that when Rickard Stark married the daughter of the last Marsh King after he slew him. The blood of the children might come from there.

I agree, and there is also the story of the Warg King.

Chronicles found in the archives of the Night's Watch at the Nightfort (before it was abandoned) speak of the war for Sea Dragon Point, wherein the Starks brought down the Warg King and his inhuman allies, the children of the forest. When the Warg King's last redoubt fell, his sons were put to the sword, along with his beasts and greenseers, whilst his daughters were taken as prizes by their conquerors.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:13 PM, Seaserpent said:

What are you trying to explain with your post?

That the CotF interbred with humans.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:59 PM, Travis said:

I thought this was all common knowledge, no offense. 

The Children made a Pact with First Men, sealed with a marriage?

I take no offense, it's ok if you already knew that. I'm not sure it's common knowledge, though.

A Pact sealed with marriages, yes probably. Maybe there have been rapes too.

Archived