Majesty

HoodedCrow

I am a dual citizen. If Trump gets re-elected I will renounce my American passport, or do so before I die.

I would like to know, a silly question, I suppose, what flowers Queen Elizabeth likes, if she does.  ( or perhaps a curry comb?) I want to embrace the motherland and thank the land of my ancestors from sparing us from the likes of Trump and his fool Republican slime bags. It is not too late for gratitude for her service since before I was born. I realize that I am unimportant in the scheme of things,

Please help me out, Brits!

7 hours ago, Altherion said:

Have you seen the UK Politics thread lately? It is a good reminder for Americans that no matter how inadequate our government appears to be, it can always be worse.

I'd say that's kinda debatable.

HoodedCrow,  Unless you are currently living in the UK and plan to stay for life, I'd keep that US citizenship.  (I'd still keep it until Brexit is resolved so you have an escape option)  If you are planning on coming to the UK - wait to see how Brexit really does effect us to see if that really is something you want.   - keep an eye on threads asking for food parcels and blankets (you may not want to come)    

If you do come then some things to learn.  1. Boil water in a Kettle.  2.  Drink Tea  (and it needs to be strong enough to melt a spoon) 3. Love the NHS  4. For US standards become a raving communist.  5.  Guns =  "So uncivilised"

I also hold Dual Nationality for the US and UK, giving up US citizenship in favour of keeping just a UK one would be a bad move IMO.

Oh and what Pebble said, you'll need to adapt the same stance as Obi Wan Kenobi when it comes to guns.

Well, in the u.s. I’m a dirty immigrant, the health care costs will inevitably bankrupt us, even though we did well. And Trump and his henchmen admire Putin, the human rights champion. They are pulling off a very corrupt agenda by very corrupt means.

I compare the Queens commitment to the constitution of Britain to the GOP’s cynical destruction of it and I find I no longer want to support that. I will vote in the next election absentee.

I am British-Canadian, so we didn’t have to go far away. I’m hoping for Cascadia as a new province. We can teach Americans about a more responsible and less punitive legal system and police. Compassion. Health care for all. Harm reduction for opioid programs. Not caring all that much about Trudeaus family,  because the Royals take a lot of the ceremonial load.

i am living through health problems, for which I got dreadful care in the us.

12 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

I compare the Queens commitment to the constitution of Britain to the GOP’s cynical destruction of it and I find I no longer want to support that. I will vote in the next election absentee.

Not sure where you got that from. When Boris Johnson illegally prorogued parliament the Queen signed his power grab off without a murmur (as far as we can tell). It was the UK supreme court who upheld the constitution.

Incidentally, buried in the current Tory election manifesto is a promise to carry out a "judicial review" - i.e. to pass some laws to stop the courts reining in an out-of-control prime minister.

12 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Well, in the u.s. I’m a dirty immigrant, the health care costs will inevitably bankrupt us, even though we did well. And Trump and his henchmen admire Putin, the human rights champion. They are pulling off a very corrupt agenda by very corrupt means.

I am British-Canadian, so we didn’t have to go far away. I’m hoping for Cascadia as a new province. We can teach Americans about a more responsible and less punitive legal system and police. Compassion. Health care for all. Harm reduction for opioid programs. Not caring all that much about Trudeaus family,  because the Royals take a lot of the ceremonial load.

i am living through health problems, for which I got dreadful care in the us.

Monarchs are for life, so if one is terrible they're much more difficult to get rid of than a terrible president, a history of the U.K. or any monarchy can tell you a lot about that that. The Queen may be dutiful, but will the people who come after be the same? Will you have more mad kings? Nazi sympathizers? Rapists and murderers?

Yes there are a lot of terrible things about the United States but the lack of a monarchy is not one of those things.

No, see what happens with Republicans do with Trump absolute rights. A third of the population just folds to the crazy, lawless, immoral tall, loud male, who has been taught mobster interactions.Any king, contitutionally limited to ceremonial or emergency powers, would be better target for cultists or realists.

you don’t know that the queen didn’t council against Boris garbage, and probably did. She is the last resort. Boris party, on the other hand, could get rid of him fairly easily, unlike Trump.

i don’t want to die with US citizenship while Trump is in power. I was one of the few who was pleased to learn constitution 101 for my test. But so many Americans don’t seem to know or care.

And then there are the Trump is the chosen one types, wow. Why don’t we just pick a random homeless guy who probably would be superior, and not keen on chumming up despots for gain.

On 11/27/2019 at 5:54 PM, A wilding said:

Not sure where you got that from. When Boris Johnson illegally prorogued parliament the Queen signed his power grab off without a murmur (as far as we can tell). It was the UK supreme court who upheld the constitution.

Incidentally, buried in the current Tory election manifesto is a promise to carry out a "judicial review" - i.e. to pass some laws to stop the courts reining in an out-of-control prime minister.

To be fair to Queenie (eww, did those words really just leave my keyboard?) either option (signing off or coming out against) was a constitutional blunder - was a difficult position, constitutionally speaking.

I think generally the Courts in our country, populated as they might be with gay ex-Olypmic fencers, have been and continue to be very admirable institutions, doing their best to uphold the rule of law without stepping too much into the political sphere (though obviously because of the intertwining of law and politics, there has to be some degree of seepage). There are certainly still some issues, and the decisions reached may sometimes be questionable, but for the most part they are something to be proud of. 

The interference in the Court’s powers and responsibilities is unsurprising and yet still very troubling

8 hours ago, dornishpen said:

Monarchs are for life, so if one is terrible they're much more difficult to get rid of than a terrible president, a history of the U.K. or any monarchy can tell you a lot about that that. The Queen may be dutiful, but will the people who come after be the same?

How on earth is that relevant when the monarch wields no real political power whatsoever?!

Why are people comparing the Queen to the GOP/ Trump?! I mean, I'm all for abolishing the monarchy, while at the same time I share the TO's opinion that she's probably more decent than DT (who isn't) or ProJo (Prometheus Johnson), but neither of these issues is relevant to the social an political circumstances in the US or the UK.

I'm honestly confused...

Is it more difficult to get rid of a monarch? British monarch's have been made to abdicate before. The last one to do so did it because he wanted to marry someone who was divorced. So I'm not entirely certain it's more difficult to get rid of a terrible monarch than it is a terrible president.

Hooded Crow, I gather you have serious health issues if you think it’s possible you will die within five years. I’m very sorry to read that. You say you have a British-Canadian background, can you come to Canada? To hell with renouncing your US citizenship for the moment, just think of surviving yourself. And you never know, you might outlive Elizabeth, she’s getting up there, even if she does have good genes.

But seriously, dude, positive vibes and thoughts are being sent your way. I’ll keep you in my prayers, or if that offends you, just in my thoughts. I hope things turn out for the better for you.

Positive thoughts are always welcome!

i am ill enough to think about what govt I want to support. I want to vote against Trump, which I can,but after that, I can’t support a government with unlawful orders and worse propaganda. We moved to Canada because of all the crap about immigrants...look at the idiots about Fiona Hill or women.

Archived