Do You Recommend Getting Fire and Blood?

AttilatheHun

I read A Game of Thrones and I am reading A Clash of Kings right now. I like the world Martin has created and the novels fascinated me with detailed character builds. The short mentions of the reign of Targaryens made me wonder about the history of House Targaryen. Do you recommend me to get Fire and Blood? Does it contain any spoilers of A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons? 

1 hour ago, AttilatheHun said:

I read A Game of Thrones and I am reading A Clash of Kings right now. I like the world Martin has created and the novels fascinated me with detailed character builds. The short mentions of the reign of Targaryens made me wonder about the history of House Targaryen. Do you recommend me to get Fire and Blood? Does it contain any spoilers of A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons? 

Its a prequel book written more like a history text than in normal literary format.  I'd recommend getting it from the library.  I found it extremely tedious and returned it unfinished.  Other people quite enjoy it however.  It depends on your tastes and how hungry you are for anything related to westeros.

The information is all pretty much on the wikis already.

Doesn’t contain spoilers for a Storm of Swords, a Feast for Crows or a Dance with Dragons, no. However, I would still recommend you read those three books first and then read Fire and Blood if you so desire. I think you will get more from the book that way.

I would also suggest trying a sample of the writing first too, whether via the library or having a quick flick through in your local book shop. It is written in a very different style from the POV of the main series and its definitely a style that isn’t quite as accessible or engaging and will probably turn some readers off

On 11/25/2019 at 2:15 PM, argonak said:

I found it extremely tedious and returned it unfinished.

You say “tedious”, I say “detailed”. George Martin has created a universe as far-reaching and vast (in both size and chronology) as any Star Wars or L.O.T.R. world. For him to have the specifics and history in correlation like he does is simply awe inspiring.

Hold your tongue, sir.

15 hours ago, #1dolFAN said:

You say “tedious”, I say “detailed”. George Martin has created a universe as far-reaching and vast (in both size and chronology) as any Star Wars or L.O.T.R. world. For him to have the specifics and history in correlation like he does is simply awe inspiring.

Hold your tongue, sir.

Don't tell me what to do. You're not my supervisor.

On 11/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, AttilatheHun said:

I read A Game of Thrones and I am reading A Clash of Kings right now. I like the world Martin has created and the novels fascinated me with detailed character builds. The short mentions of the reign of Targaryens made me wonder about the history of House Targaryen. Do you recommend me to get Fire and Blood?

YES!

On 11/25/2019 at 1:07 PM, AttilatheHun said:

Does it contain any spoilers of A Storm of Swords, A Feast for Crows, and A Dance with Dragons? 

No, but if you can read between the lines, it does an awful lot of foreshadowing

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

I love these kinds of books though, I love The Silmarillion as well.

,I recommend to end ASOIAF first though. If you leave them in the middle for such a big book you are gonna forget half of the names in the books.

On 11/26/2019 at 12:05 AM, AttilatheHun said:

As a person keen of history, I don't mind reading any informative book. I decided to wait until I finish the novels. Thank you for your help.

Good decision.  Read all of the novels first and then buy the extra books.  Experience the story the way we experienced it.  Surprises are delightful.

All depends how deep you want to go. If you are just reading for fun, the main novels and the Dunk and Egg novellas are that. If you want to pursue the world building and look for clues related to where the author might be going with the last two main novels then all of the ancillary readings are a must. 

Archived