Rugen is Varys

miyuki

So I re-read Feast for the third time and finally realized from the first Jaime chapter that the gaoler in charge of the third level of the dungeons of the Red Keep is Varys in disguise. And I found a link that says GRRM confirms this.

What interest me is why did Rugen/Varys let go of Biter, Rorge and the faceless man? Why did Varys send them to the Wall? Does Varys know about the mission Jaqen is sent to do in Oldtown? Did Varys send him? 

9 hours ago, Ahl of the House Cutler said:

Varys is a Blackfyre supporter, so IMO he hired the three Faceless Men and sent them north to find and kill Bloodraven.  

Jaqen/Pate was in Oldtown to use Marwyns glass candle to assist in helping find Bloodraven.

This is an interesting theory. I need to re-read Dance as well, I didn't really get the whole Blackfyre thing on my first read, but after reading Dunk & Egg, it really got me in the mood to re-read the series with a new look at things.

7 hours ago, miyuki said:

This is an interesting theory.

I don't think Varys knows BR is still alive. Or would know enough of his plans to feel threatened.

My understanding is Yoren customarily visit the castles and ask for recruiting the prisoners. For Jaquen and his pals, it was probably a death sentence or the NW. So not much of a choice. The prisoners are granted, unless special cases. Like Tywin wanting an example. Or Ned, unless he confesses his betrayal. In both cases the decision was taken by the Small Coucil.

This case is narrated by Sansa GOT, Sansa III:

Father asked if there were any knights in the hall who would do honor to their houses by taking the black, but no one came forward, so he gave this Yoren his pick of the king’s dungeons and sent him on his way.

So I don't think Varys has anything to do with it.

IMO, an interesting question is what Jaquen was doing in KL. Was he caught trying to kill someone? Who? And surprising given the skills he demonstrated at Harrendal, and the FM in general. Or did he went to the Black Cells all by himself? For example, taking the face of the Lorathi criminal. Ned was the only important person in the BC. To kill him, or to have him evade? Anyway, it must have something to do with stealing something in the Citadel.

Varys isn't omniscient; he doesn't know everything, even if he might pretend otherwise.  My guess is that he doesn't know that Jaqen is FM.  I also suspect that Jaqen was created to move Arya's story along with no thought as to how he got into the black cells.  I doubt he was in KL to kill Ned.  Littlefinger seems to be the only one interested at that point; and he was doing quite well on his own. 

As to what Jaqen is doing in Oldtown, I think he is looking for information on dragons.  Tyrion mentioned a book of dragonlore hidden at the Citadel.  Jaqen is probably looking for that, and anything else he can get his hands on.  Given Daenerys's possession of dragons, it makes sense for them to get as much knowledge as possible.

I suspect that glass candles might be important enough that they are another possible target. Or if I were member of "brotherhood" who want to keep their secrets I would try to make sure that my possible enemies would lose their "eyes" and so an opportunity to find out what I am doing.

On 11/27/2019 at 5:35 AM, Nevets said:

I also suspect that Jaqen was created to move Arya's story along with no thought as to how he got into the black cells. 

I'm afraid it's only that. But I would prefer there was some logic behind. Or GRRM used another way, without such flaw, to grant Arya with 3 deaths from Jaqen.

Archived