George's Other Stuff 2.0.

Lord Varys

I'm taking another shot an George's other stuff, although I've still not tracked down all the stories. Do any of you have them all?

And, considering the A Song for Lya and Other Stories seems to include place and date of writing (or rather: completion) I'd like to ask whether anyone has ever made a list ordering George's stories by completion date rather than publication date (which isn't the best way to read an author chronologically) if such a thing is possible with the dates we have.

12 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I'm taking another shot an George's other stuff, although I've still not tracked down all the stories. Do any of you have them all?

I think I've got all the short story collections he has published but I know there are a few short stories that aren't in any of them and I don't have some of them. I should try to work out which of them I'm missing at some point.

I'm also missing most of his Wildcards work.

The stories whose precise dates of completion I could pin down as per the dates given in anthologies and some ebook copies are:

1. The Hero: February 1969

2. The Exit to San Breta: April 1970

3. Run to Starlight: December 1970

4. Dark, Dark Were the Tunnels: May 1971

5. With Morning Comes Mistfall: June 1971

6. The Second Kind of Loneliness: July 1971

7. Slide Show: July 1972

8. Override: December 1972

9. A Song for Lya: January/February 1973

10. Weekend in a War Zone: April 1973

11. FTA: June 1973

12. An Seven Times Never Kill Man: October 1974

13. In the House of the Worm: February 1975

14. Nightflyers (revised version): November 1978

If anybody is out there who owns the collections I'm missing (I only own A Song of Lya and Nightflyers in English at this point) I'd appreciate it if you bothered to check in those copies whether there are completion dates given for the other stories - if so, it would be great if you could post them here.

As for stories I'm missing in English (it is much easier to get the translated stories and collections in German - nearly the entire George has been translated) at this point those are:

1. Night Shift

2. The Last Super Bowl Game (both versions)

3. Night of the Vampyres

4. The Computer Cried Charge! (that story really sounds like fun...)

5. ... For a Single Yesterday

6. Patrick Henry, Jupiter, and the Little Red Brick Spaceship

7. Closing Time

8. Black and White and Red All Over (the fragment)

If anybody has access to any of the published/unpublished/lost juvenilia I'd be interested in those, too:

'Garizan, the Mechanical Warrior' (written 1964, lost)

'Meet the Executioner' (1965, comic, published in Ymir #2)

'The Isle of Death' (1965, comic, Ymir #5)

'The Strange Story of the White Raider' (1965, comic, published in Batwing)

'Powerman vs. The Blue Barrier!' (1965, text, published in Star-Studded Comics #7)

'The Sword and the Spider' (1965, comic, published in Dr. Weird)

'Only Kids Are Afraid of the Dark' (1966, comic version of the text story, published in Dr. Weird)

'The Coach and the Computer' (1966)

'The Added Safety Factor' (1968) - this one was rewritten as 'Warship' which I have (no idea of the original text is somewhere available)

'Protector' (eventually renamed 'Protectors' - no idea if that one was ever published)

Many years ago I picked up a UK edition of, Sandkings. The only dates in it are first publication dates, not completion dates, so they may not be of much use, but for the record they are:

• The Way of Cross and Dragon (June 1979)
  • Bitterblooms (Nov 1977)
  • In the House of the Worm (1976)
  • Fast-Friend (1976)
  • The Stone City (1977)
  • Starlady (1976)
  • Sandkings (August 1979)

17 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

As for stories I'm missing in English (it is much easier to get the translated stories and collections in German - nearly the entire George has been translated) at this point those are:

1. Night Shift

3. Night of the Vampyres

7. Closing Time

I took a look in my copy of Songs of Stars and Shadows and it has some info on some of these in George's introduction.

Night Shift : written "early summer 1971", "a month before With Mornings Comes Mistfall".

Night of the Vampyres : George says he had a slump in his writing output after moving to Chicago in January 1972 and this was the first story he wrote after getting out of it, but doesn't specify exactly when that was.

Men of Greywater Station : he came up with the idea with Howard Waldrop in a Playboy club during a Kansas SF convention and they wrote it in August 1972.

George says he sent Waldrop his contribution for a second collaboration (which Waldrop never finished) in October 1972 and 'about the same' wrote ... for a single yesterday.

The Runners - sometime in 1973, written in a single day, something George notes he's never managed again.

Patrick Henry, Jupiter, and the Little Red Brick Spaceship - "slightly later in 1973"

Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr - May 1974

This Tower of Ashes - shortly before a WorldCon in Washington DC

I looked in some other collections I have which were mostly unhelpful (although I did discover I had a copy of The Last Super Bowl, which is one I thought I was missing). In Quartet George suggests he was writing Black and White and Red All Over in summer 1985 but abandoned it some time after that when he couldn't sell it.

15 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I took a look in my copy of Songs of Stars and Shadows and it has some info on some of these in George's introduction.

Night Shift : written "early summer 1971", "a month before With Mornings Comes Mistfall".

Night of the Vampyres : George says he had a slump in his writing output after moving to Chicago in January 1972 and this was the first story he wrote after getting out of it, but doesn't specify exactly when that was.

Men of Greywater Station : he came up with the idea with Howard Waldrop in a Playboy club during a Kansas SF convention and they wrote it in August 1972.

George says he sent Waldrop his contribution for a second collaboration (which Waldrop never finished) in October 1972 and 'about the same' wrote ... for a single yesterday.

The Runners - sometime in 1973, written in a single day, something George notes he's never managed again.

Patrick Henry, Jupiter, and the Little Red Brick Spaceship - "slightly later in 1973"

Lonely Songs of Laren Dorr - May 1974

This Tower of Ashes - shortly before a WorldCon in Washington DC

Great!

We can thus pin down 'Night Shift' as May 1971 since 'Mistfall' was written in June 1971.

'Night of the Vampyres' can be dated as being written before July 1972 since that's when he finished 'Slide Show'. I guess one can then tentatively say 'first half of 1972'.

A pity there are not more clues for the 1973 stories. Could be difficult to create some sort of order there in relation to the stories we have dates for.

'This Tower of Ashes' would then have been the 1974 Washington Worldcon since it was definitely not the of 1963 nor 2021 ;-). With the con starting on 29th August I guess one could try to tentatively say the story was written in July-August 1974.

45 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I did throw together this bibliography a few years back, which I believe lists every single thing GRRM has ever written.

As for the writing dates, I think Dreamsongs has a lot of info on the stories that are in that book, but not so much on the others.

Yeah, that was pretty helpful. If I recall correctly you did that the last time I started this kind of thread. I left a commentary there a couple of days ago about the Warship thing which you claim was 'Protector(s)' originally but George says in Dreamsongs it was 'The Added Safety Factor'.

Down the list of stories I'm still missing:

1. Night Shift

3. Night of the Vampyres

4. Patrick Henry, Jupiter, and the Little Red Brick Spaceship

5. Closing Time

6. Black and White and Red All Over (the fragment)

On 11/28/2019 at 4:56 AM, Lord Varys said:

If anybody is out there who owns the collections I'm missing (I only own A Song of Lya and Nightflyers in English at this point) I'd appreciate it if you bothered to check in those copies whether there are completion dates given for the other stories - if so, it would be great if you could post them here.

It hasn't been hard to buy GRRM's works in English in Germany these last 20 years. Just order them from Amazon. 

4 hours ago, Loge said:

It hasn't been hard to buy GRRM's works in English in Germany these last 20 years. Just order them from Amazon. 

Oh, the prices have gone up if you want them in good condition.

On 11/27/2019 at 10:56 PM, Lord Varys said:

The stories whose precise dates of completion I could pin down as per the dates given in anthologies and some ebook copies are:

1. The Hero: February 1969

2. The Exit to San Breta: April 1970

3. Run to Starlight: December 1970

4. Dark, Dark Were the Tunnels: May 1971

5. With Morning Comes Mistfall: June 1971

6. The Second Kind of Loneliness: July 1971

7. Slide Show: July 1972

8. Override: December 1972

9. A Song for Lya: January/February 1973

10. Weekend in a War Zone: April 1973

11. FTA: June 1973

12. An Seven Times Never Kill Man: October 1974

13. In the House of the Worm: February 1975

14. Nightflyers (revised version): November 1978

1. Night Shift

3. Night of the Vampyres

7. Closing Time

I have all of these if you need them, but for me to transcribe them takes a while. Just letting you know just in case. 

If anybody has access to any of the published/unpublished/lost juvenilia I'd be interested in those, too:

'Garizan, the Mechanical Warrior' (written 1964, lost)

'Meet the Executioner' (1965, comic, published in Ymir #2)

'The Isle of Death' (1965, comic, Ymir #5)

'The Strange Story of the White Raider' (1965, comic, published in Batwing)

'Powerman vs. The Blue Barrier!' (1965, text, published in Star-Studded Comics #7)

'The Sword and the Spider' (1965, comic, published in Dr. Weird)

'Only Kids Are Afraid of the Dark' (1966, comic version of the text story, published in Dr. Weird)

'The Coach and the Computer' (1966)

'The Added Safety Factor' (1968) - this one was rewritten as 'Warship' which I have (no idea of the original text is somewhere available)

'Protector' (eventually renamed 'Protectors' - no idea if that one was ever published)

These are super difficult to find. I look for them constantly. I do have “Only Kids” in the story form, not any of the comic form. 

ADDING: have you seen this full list from GRRM on his blog? https://www.georgerrmartin.com/for-fans/for-collectors/

• 2 weeks later...

Just read 'Weekend in a War Zone' and, man, George was in fucked-up places at times. 'Meathouse Man' is pretty dark, but that story also has a nasty quality to it. I always wondered why the protagonists being dumped by their girlfriends for the narrator's best friend did never explore that particular 'solution' to their problem - but there it is in all its gory glory...

Archived