The Irishman (I Hear You Tag Spoilers)

RumHam

18 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I’m glad it wasn’t just me who got too distracted by the de-aging. Felt like I was watching the Polar Express at times.

Had to give up after the grocery beat down, he moves like an 80 year old and at that point I couldn’t take it seriously any more 

Wow, I can’t imagine letting a 30 second scene ruin a 3.5 hour film for me...

25 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Wow, I can’t imagine letting a 30 second scene ruin a 3.5 hour film for me...

I mean that was basically the final straw. I've just spent about half an hour trying to ignore De Niros rubbery face, the way he can barely stand up straight, how they'd barely been able to cover up the way his top lip has folded over with age or that he can't really walk properly any more. How was I meant to take seriously the idea that this guy was a 'house painter' or in any way dangerous, when in almost every scene you could imagine him being beaten up by an asthmatic child.

3 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

“They wouldn’t dare”

I loved that dialogue scene, not just because of the acting and the writing, but also because you could tell the actors were interacting with each other, no matter the camera angle. Too many times, in such dialogue scenes, the actor with the back to the camera may be talking but they look so stiff, they might as well be a statue. Not in this scene.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

I also loved Shutter Island. Best Leo movie of 2010 :D 

Certainly at least the best one where he's haunted by his dead wife and things aren't always what they seem. 

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m glad it wasn’t just me who got too distracted by the de-aging. Felt like I was watching the Polar Express at times.

Had to give up after the grocery beat down, he moves like an 80 year old and at that point I couldn’t take it seriously any more 

byeeeeeeee. back to Marvel movies with you. 

56 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I loved that dialogue scene, not just because of the acting and the writing, but also because you could tell the actors were interacting with each other, no matter the camera angle. Too many times, in such dialogue scenes, the actor with the back to the camera may be talking but they look so stiff, they might as well be a statue. Not in this scene.

Bob and Al had such good chemistry in this movie. It's a god damned shame it took this long to get them together on camera (Heat doesn't count). 

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

yeah dude in Godfather Sonny beating up Carlo looked so fucking fake. Ruined the entire movie for me

That scene is particularly absurd.  When Caan is punching him I don't think his fist is within a foot of where it's supposed to be hitting.

18 hours ago, red snow said:

I just find it hard to think the film was primarily about an old man - it was about his whole adult life, the majority of which wasn't centred around him being an infirm old man. 

But it was, because it was an old man / men looking back.  As you say, The Mule wasn't looking back, but really now, in that film, that you seem to have no trouble buying that geezer fucking three way underage women relative to his age at once, not at all problematical, even in terms of veracity, kind of undercuts what you are saying about not having trouble with a film that actually views aging in movie real time.

That's how I'm reading it anyway.  That you don't like the film, that it didn't work for you is fine.  I also loved Scorsese's Age of Innocence, and large numbers of the males I know, who love his gangster flix, didn't even go to this one, or walked out and hated it. What mattes is that you can understand why others who aren't you do really appreciate Age of Innocence / The Irishman.

But interestingly in terms of this particular discussion of elderly men's movement and violent screen action, last night I was at the Beacon theater, where Bob Dylan is performing a string of shows.  Now there was somebody in a 70+ body that moved like that.  Then I compared him onstage last night with Jagger, whom I last saw onstage when the Stones played Havana (2016) -- and Jagger didn't move like either De Niro or Dylan.  I mean really, I know very few men 50 years younger than Jagger who could move like that!  But like Dylan at some points, after this, Jagger had to postpone a bunch of dates this year because he was in hospital -- just as Madonna, had to postpone shows on her tour due to pain.  I dunno, all this was going through my mind while watching Bobby D last night.

2 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think this is only true of the edited for tv 4:3 aspect ratio version. 

hmmm, yeah, that might be true actually. That scene WAS incredible. Gonna have to watch Heat again. 

7 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Btw, going back to the dialogue scene in this movie at Frank's party, did they make De Niro look way taller than Pacino? He looked almost a full head taller. Was Hoffa a short guy?

He was 5'5", while the real life Frank Sheeran was 6'4". 

Archived