The Irishman (I Hear You Tag Spoilers)

RumHam

36 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

You know Brando just RUINED Godfather 1 by stuffing his cheeks full of cotton swabs, just RUINED the WHOLE movie. I had to walk out ya know.:blink:

Nobody cares that they aged Brando up because it looked ok, Brando puts in an amazing performance and you don’t look at him and think it’s ridiculous. Nobody cares that DeNiro played his younger self because it’s a great performance.

There we’re almost zero complaints about the de-Aging in Captain Marvel because it was barely noticeable, in fact I thought it was very well done and praiseworthy

I know it’s a struggle to get your head around but what your failing to see is that it’s not deaging that is the problem, it’s when it’s poorly executed. 

Most of the reviews I’ve read that liked the movie mention that it was distracting but they liked the movie inspite of it. Fair enough, I didn’t dislike the Irishman, I thought it was a pretty average Goodfellas knockoff. I’m sure it gets better towards the end and i might go back to it but I’m it’s a shame a potentially good movie was ruined for me.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

There we’re almost zero complaints about the de-Aging in Captain Marvel because it was barely noticeable, in fact I thought it was very well done and praiseworthy

eh, Jackson moved his age as much as De Niro did here. Wasn't a deal breaker. For me, the actors' performances overwhelmingly outbalanced their looks.

12 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

eh, Jackson moved his age as much as De Niro did here. Wasn't a deal breaker. For me, the actors' performances overwhelmingly outbalanced their looks.

The difference being DeNiro is getting on quite a bit, but at the same time I think Captain Marvel did a decent job of understanding the limitations of the technlogy and worked with it.

I actually thought DeNiro wasn’t great in the Irishman , certainly trying to play a younger version of himself, he was physically stiff unsurprisingly for someone of his age and didn’t do anything noteworthy. It’s been a VERY long time since he has been great in anything.

And Pesci looked particularly bizarre when aged down , because he’s so old now. 

Im sure some people weren’t bothered by it or maybe didn’t notice it, I find that difficult to believe; because on my large Ultra HD screen it was horribly noticeable 

46 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The difference being DeNiro is getting on quite a bit, but at the same time I think Captain Marvel did a decent job of understanding the limitations of the technlogy and worked with it.

I actually thought DeNiro wasn’t great in the Irishman , certainly trying to play a younger version of himself, he was physically stiff unsurprisingly for someone of his age and didn’t do anything noteworthy. It’s been a VERY long time since he has been great in anything.

Im sure some people weren’t bothered by it or maybe didn’t notice it, I find that difficult to believe; because on my large Ultra HD screen it was horribly noticeable 

This is because you didn't watch the whole movie. I'll agree that his performance was weaker in the first act, but not as the movie went along. He was incredibly good in the final act.

50 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Because you didn’t watch the entire fucking movie. He was phenomenal in the final act. 

:ninja: by Corvinus

32 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

This is because you didn't watch the whole movie. I'll agree that his performance was weaker in the first act, but not as the movie went along. He was incredibly good in the final act.

I'm happy to believe that to be the case. It's not like he's not a good actor. However, he was not great in the first part of the movie, and I believe that's because he was really restricted trying to play a guy who's decades younger than he is, when he moves like a guy in his 70's. For me it was breaking the illusion too much, and I think thats a fair point.

Even if you enjoyed the movie, the huge over reaction to someone pointing out the technical issues within the movie is pretty something. 

I don't agree with every complaint being given right now, but I do agree that De Niro was not very good in this movie; even in the last third. I thought Pacino and Pesci were significantly better, as were most of the smaller roles. De Niro was a cipher, and a not a particularly interesting one. 

I know I have vision problems, but Di Nero didn't look at all plastic to me.

I love this film for so successfully providing the best possible summing up - conclusion to our organized crime genre which took over from the Western in the 1970's as the US's most iconic film genre.  There shall certainly continue to be organized crime flicks but they won't be in that particularly located, historical vision of the United States, past, present, that we've seen all through Scorsese's career.

Judging by what has been coming out every single day since 2016 about our political and corporate figures, films of crime and corruption for the future are likely to move from those who are knowingly illegitimate, who also generally work hard to legitimatize their ill got gains and join the nation's ruling class.  We'll now be focused on those criminals who literally 'legitimately' run the country in all aspects, with utter immunity from any political, social, legal or economic consequences for every bit of plunder from addicting a whole generation of WHITE people even! on opioid drugs as just the mildest form of their evil.

Attacking the poster rather than the post here people. There have been a great many people, not just HOI, who have said that the de aging was poorly done and that De Niro was clearly not in the right shape for the role.

Just because someone talks shit about politics doesn't mean they can have legit criticism about something else. P.s. I havent seen the film, I dont have 210 spare mins to play with at the minute. 

The only part of the de-aging that was distracting to me was Deniros' eyes, seemed strangely blue sometimes. And the one laughable deli beat down scene. I don't know how anyone can watch his feeble attempt to kick the guy and say it isn't horrible. There is a you tube clip of three old men fighting outside a senior citizen home and they looked / moved better than him and he is supposed to be in late 30's in that scene.  

Other than that I thought it was fine and didn't take away anything from the movie, for me. I didn't have a problem with Pesci at all, maybe because it's been so long since I have seen him that I remember him younger?

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Attacking the poster rather than the post here people. There have been a great many people, not just HOI, who have said that the de aging was poorly done and that De Niro was clearly not in the right shape for the role.

Just because someone talks shit about politics doesn't mean they can have legit criticism about something else.. 

Never venture to gen chat really so no clue about anyone’s “politics”. Might’ve been some overzealous defending of the movie in here but “attack” is a strong word to use. It’s not that serious. 
it’s one thing to think De Niro and the movie weren’t that good. Don’t think anyone pushed back on Fez for thinking so. But it’s hard to take that opinion serious when you say you turned the movie off after like 30 minutes. 

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

Is it though? I can't think of a single film I hated after 30 mins and loved at the end. 

Plenty of slow burns come together at the end. But yes, if you truly hated it because of the de-aging, or one short scene, then the rest of the film probably isn’t going to change your mind. 

18 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is it though? I can't think of a single film I hated after 30 mins and loved at the end. 

I turned off Under the skin after like 20 minutes but I think it would be ignorant to say Scarlett Johansson was awful in it or that it was a “_______ knockoff” after only seeing that small portion but idk

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

How long was that opening wedding in The Godfather? Felt like half an hour of meh the first time I saw it.

Is it me or is it ironic that Scorsese was all "old man get off my lawn Marvel big budget CGI movies ruining the industry" and how they aren't real cinema and yet the biggest complaint about his movie is the CGI? 

Archived