Lady Stoneheart's destination

Jon The Dragon

Lady Stoneheart will most likely remain in the Riverlands.  It is her home territory, and the location for her main enemies (Freys and Lannister occupiers).   As she seems mostly focused on vengeance, I don't seeing her feeling the need to move elsewhere.

I see no reason for her to do anything about Littlefinger.  It is possible that she could hear about "Alayne" and consider the possibility that it is Sansa.  In that event, she would most likely send somebody who could recognize Sansa to check it out.

I think the likelihood of Jaime joining the Night's Watch approaches zero.  It's not really his style.  If anything, I would expect the BwB to eventually kill him or get him killed.  I have considerable doubts that he will leave the Riverlands alive.

But, I don't think he is dead yet.  It has been several weeks since his disappearance, and his body hasn't shown up, which suggests the BwB is keeping him around for some reason.  My guess is that he will lead an attempt to free the Frey prisoners being transferred to KL.  "I'm Jaime Lannister, these are my men, and I have been sent to take custody of the prisoners"  Might even work.

Makes a lot more sense than the Golden Tooth idea.  There would be a very tight time window on it, and it carries a substantial risk of killing the hostages they would be trying to rescue, and that is without Jaime's orders to its commander to kill the hostages if it looked like a rescue was in the offing.  And if the people you are attempting to rescue die from the rescue attempt, you have, by definition, failed.

Given that there has been no news about such a massacre, I doubt it has occurred.  It would need to have happened shortly after Jaime's disappearance, at the latest, which was some time ago; certainly enough for news to get out.  My own suspicion is that Jeyne's appearance in the prologue is her arrival at Casterly Rock en route to the Crag.

3 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Lady Stoneheart will most likely remain in the Riverlands.  It is her home territory, and the location for her main enemies (Freys and Lannister occupiers).   As she seems mostly focused on vengeance, I don't seeing her feeling the need to move elsewhere.

I see no reason for her to do anything about Littlefinger.  It is possible that she could hear about "Alayne" and consider the possibility that it is Sansa.  In that event, she would most likely send somebody who could recognize Sansa to check it out.

I think the likelihood of Jaime joining the Night's Watch approaches zero.  It's not really his style.  If anything, I would expect the BwB to eventually kill him or get him killed.  I have considerable doubts that he will leave the Riverlands alive.

But, I don't think he is dead yet.  It has been several weeks since his disappearance, and his body hasn't shown up, which suggests the BwB is keeping him around for some reason.  My guess is that he will lead an attempt to free the Frey prisoners being transferred to KL.  "I'm Jaime Lannister, these are my men, and I have been sent to take custody of the prisoners"  Might even work.

To this I also agree. I can see LS moving towards the North, like the Twins. Davos' chapter in aCoK when they sail Stannis's fleet onto KL as @chrisdawonce mentioned holds startling references to LS, Arya and Gendry moving against the Twins (though it also may be some veiled foreshadowing of the RW). Anyhow, I can see LS at some point planning to cross into the North after reaching the Twins, but I don't believe she'll ever make it. 

I also do not see LS moving into the Vale whatsoever. Sansa will be taking care of LF there, and there are hints for other characters and events resolving that part of Sansa's arc.

I too have a bad feeling about Jaime's fate and also believe he won't make it out of the RL, at least not alive. Your proposal is a possibility. I'm curious why they kept him alive so far.

10 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Makes a lot more sense than the Golden Tooth idea.  There would be a very tight time window on it, and it carries a substantial risk of killing the hostages they would be trying to rescue, and that is without Jaime's orders to its commander to kill the hostages if it looked like a rescue was in the offing.  And if the people you are attempting to rescue die from the rescue attempt, you have, by definition, failed.

Given that there has been no news about such a massacre, I doubt it has occurred.  It would need to have happened shortly after Jaime's disappearance, at the latest, which was some time ago; certainly enough for news to get out.  My own suspicion is that Jeyne's appearance in the prologue is her arrival at Casterly Rock en route to the Crag.

I agree the window is very tight, and yes it does carry a risk for the hostages. That there has been no news about it though may not be an issue. If the massacre happened in a gorge in the hills in the RL before the Golden Tooth, with no Lannister soldier left alive to tell the tale, then it's possible nobody knows yet, explaining why we require a prologue featuring Jeyne in it. Between Jaime sending them to CR and Kevan's council in the epilogue there is a lot of time. You would think Kevan would confirm their arrival at CR. However, Theon's first chapter of tWoW is set before Jon's last chapter, and thus the Prologue may show events that takes place before Kevan's council.

10 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

As for Jaime's threats to Edmure.  IIRC Tom was present. If he wasn't present, he certainly learned of it from Edmure himself, once Jaime left Tom to sing for Edmure right after making the threat. So, LS for sure knows Jaime threatened to fling Edmure's child with a trebuchet.

I agree w/ everything else, but not so sure about the above...

Tom and Edmure have some history, and I find it unlikely that Edmure “Floppy Fish” Tully would confide or even chat w/ Tom. :dunno:

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Tom and Edmure have some history, and I find it unlikely that Edmure “Floppy Fish” Tully would confide or even chat w/ Tom. :dunno:

Unless Tom showed him something/said something to gain his trust (i dont actually have an idea what this could be, but doesnt seem implausible)

10 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think that was the first idea George wanted to plant in our heads: the reminder of the Floppy Fish. It certainly is the first thing going through Edmure's mind. It's the sole way to prevent the reader on first-read from thinking: euhm, Jaime, it wasn't smart of you to leave a guy, who happily hanged a Frey with LS at the end of aSoS, alone with her brother. But Tom sings a line after ther surrender to Jaime that hints at the reader that he did sing assuring lines to Edmure and that he was part in getting the Blackfish to escape.

Before Jaime departs and while Emmon Frey makes his speech to the household of Riverrun:

The singer was listening too, the one that Jaime had taken from Ser Ryman Frey. Jaime came upon him standing inside an open door, where it was dry. "His lordship should have been a singer," the man said. "This speech is longer than a marcher ballad, and I don't think he's stopped for breath."
Jaime had to laugh. "Lord Emmon does not need to breathe, so long as he can chew. Are you going to make a song of it?"
"A funny one. I'll call it 'Talking to the Fish.'" (aFfC, Jaime VII)

This title of a song makes no sense whatsoever in the context of the scene, absolutely none. It only fits with Jaime leaving Tom alone with Edmure. Tom talked to the floppy Fish, but he doesn't call him 'floppy' anymore.

Could Tom O'sevens be staying in Riverrun to assassinate Emmon Frey and maybe Genna Lannister instead of just intelligence gathering? Or maybe opening the gate for the unarmed RL force to retake the castle. All their weapons should still be inside. Black Walder is possibly at Seagard and Edwyn isn't too far away either on the way to, or at The Twins. Lots of Frey targets nearby. Seagard would be a good place to take.

18 minutes ago, Jon The Dragon said:

Could Tom O'sevens be staying in Riverrun to assassinate Emmon Frey and maybe Genna Lannister instead of just intelligence gathering? Or maybe opening the gate for the unarmed RL force to retake the castle. All their weapons should still be inside. Black Walder is possibly at Seagard and Edwyn isn't too far away either on the way to, or at The Twins. Lots of Frey targets nearby. Seagard would be a good place to take.

Tom O' Sevens is imo there to spy but most importantly to let BwB in during the wedding festivities of Daven and a Frey girl, for Red Wedding 2.0 and retaking Riverrun.

Well, Lady Stoneheart is looking for Arya and there are more than just a couple witnesses who have seen her alive and well. Many of them quite recently.

So, after Lady Stoneheart finds Arya (she clearly hasn't been to Saltpans...if she did, she'd know Arya left the country), Lady Stoneheart probably going to head straight north to take care of the Boltons, Theon and this fake Arya.

But I think Lady Stoneheart still has a lot business to attend to in the Riverlands. Since the Lannister host is travelling west with the Westerling-Spicer clan, Edmure, Roslin and their baby boy, I suppose LS and the Brotherhood are going to postpone their plans for House Frey, commandeer the Lannister host and continue onto Casterly Rock. I think there within Casterly Rock they will organize another massacre...this time for House Lannister. Aren't there a couple of Lannister weddings in the works? Daven Lannister is betrothed to a Frey and Joy Hill (a Lannister bastard) has in turn been betrothed to a Westerling. Ser Raynald Westerling, Robb's supposed closest friend.

Yeah, I think the West is going to get a good taste of Mother Merciless and her marauding band of avengers. And I think Jaime is going to be forced to watch the carnage and left alive as punishment. So, by the time, Cersei flees back to Casterly Rock (with or without Myrcella's body), there she will find her childhood home has become a slaughterhouse and a traumatized Jaime will be there to greet her.

Plus, GRRM has hinted that we would be going west and get a detailed look at Casterly Rock before the end of the series. He has also expressed mild regrets that he didn't write a POV for Robb Stark in A Clash of Kings during Robb's campaign in the Westerlands. So, since what's done is done, now we will get a nice snapshot at what Robb's campaign did to the Westerlands.

16 minutes ago, Jon The Dragon said:

Meh, I think Tom's role in Riverrun is to be a spy not an assassin. Well, I take that back...maybe he'll be more of an assassin in time. Of course, Genna, Emmon and their children cannot be touched until LS and the Brotherhood sack Casterly Rock. Essentially, at the end of the day, the only Lannisters I see making it to A Dream of Spring will be Cersei and Jaime. They kept romanticizing and talking about how they are the only ones who matter...well, call it poetic justice that they are the only ones left.

2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Well, Lady Stoneheart is looking for Arya and there are more than just a couple witnesses who have seen her alive and well. Many of them quite recently.

So, after Lady Stoneheart finds Arya (she clearly hasn't been to Saltpans...if she did, she'd know Arya left the country), Lady Stoneheart probably going to head straight north to take care of the Boltons, Theon and this fake Arya.

But I think Lady Stoneheart still has a lot business to attend to in the Riverlands. Since the Lannister host is travelling west with the Westerling-Spicer clan, Edmure, Roslin and their baby boy, I suppose LS and the Brotherhood are going to postpone their plans for House Frey, commandeer the Lannister host and continue onto Casterly Rock. I think there within Casterly Rock they will organize another massacre...this time for House Lannister. Aren't there a couple of Lannister weddings in the works? Daven Lannister is betrothed to a Frey and Joy Hill (a Lannister bastard) has in turn been betrothed to a Westerling. Ser Raynald Westerling, Robb's supposed closest friend.

Yeah, I think the West is going to get a good taste of Mother Merciless and her marauding band of avengers. And I think Jaime is going to be forced to watch the carnage and left alive as punishment. So, by the time, Cersei flees back to Casterly Rock (with or without Myrcella's body), there she will find her childhood home has become a slaughterhouse and a traumatized Jaime will be there to greet her.

Plus, GRRM has hinted that we would be going west and get a detailed look at Casterly Rock before the end of the series. He has also expressed mild regrets that he didn't write a POV for Robb Stark in A Clash of Kings during Robb's campaign in the Westerlands. So, since what's done is done, now we will get a nice snapshot at what Robb's campaign did to the Westerlands.

Meh, I think Tom's role in Riverrun is to be a spy not an assassin. Well, I take that back...maybe he'll be more of an assassin in time. Of course, Genna, Emmon and their children cannot be touched until LS and the Brotherhood sack Casterly Rock. Essentially, at the end of the day, the only Lannisters I see making it to A Dream of Spring will be Cersei and Jaime. They kept romanticizing and talking about how they are the only ones who matter...well, call it poetic justice that they are the only ones left.

Imo Riverrun is the likeliest location for Daven's wedding:

• Freys feel they conquered it over the Tullies, and they will want to show off
  • Littlefinger is the paramount lord of the Riverlands and has Harrenhal, but the Freys consider themselves the effective rulers of the Riverlands despite not having the title by posessing the castle that used to house the Lord Paramount
  • With Lancel having refused Darry, Riverrun is the sole castle that already houses a union of Frey and Lannister (Genna and Emmon). Seems more logical for a wedding to take place there, than having all the Freys travel to CR.
  • George can kill 3 birds with one stone then: have LS kill a lot of Freys, and Lannisters and get her back her family's castle

I'm honestly surprised that someone never even considered that Catelyn is the head of an expansive network of northmen and rivermen rebels. I think people are clouded by their rather biased views of Catelyn. Not only was Catelyn a very good person, but she has always been remarkably intelligent and socially gifted. She was raised as the future Lady Paramount of the Trident for years. People (especially in the Riverlands) know her and sympathize her. The only people that blame her or talk down on her are the pro-Lannister bad actors: the Karstarks, the Boltons, the Freys, etc.

No person in the North or in the Riverlands regards her with any ill will.

Catelyn knows Arya and Sansa are alive. I never imagined that she would know that Rickon and Bran never were killed by Theon but now it makes a lot of sense that she would at least know that Rickon is alive and presumably well on Skagos.

Speaking of Rickon, I feel like the show gave us a little clue as to Rickon's future. I think Rickon and Davos both will be captured by the Boltons. Because Davos will be operating on outdated information, he'll think that Stannis stuck to his original plan of attacking the Dreadfort instead. Stannis made the change of plans after Davos had already left and there was/is no way to inform Davos of the change of plans. Manderly didn't know.

So, I see Davos taking Rickon, Osha and Shaggydog back to mainland Westeros to the Dreadfort only to find that Stannis never showed up and that the castle is still held by the Boltons. If the timelines line up, maybe Roose Bolton will be there to personally see to their captivity.

Which means that the Starks, the other Northmen and what's left of the NW in A Dream of Spring will have their hands full with both the Others and Roose Bolton who is holding Rickon Stark hostage.

5 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Imo Riverrun is the likeliest location for Daven's wedding:

• Freys feel they conquered it over the Tullies, and they will want to show off
  • Littlefinger is the paramount lord of the Riverlands and has Harrenhal, but the Freys consider themselves the effective rulers of the Riverlands despite not having the title by posessing the castle that used to house the Lord Paramount
  • With Lancel having refused Darry, Riverrun is the sole castle that already houses a union of Frey and Lannister (Genna and Emmon). Seems more logical for a wedding to take place there, than having all the Freys travel to CR.
  • George can kill 3 birds with one stone then: have LS kill a lot of Freys, and Lannisters and get her back her family's castle

I think it can go both ways.

Riverrun does make a lot of sense.

But Casterly Rock is going to very tempting...too tempting of a prize to pass by. The host that has Edmure Tully, Sybell Spicer (I can't wait for LS to sink her teeth in her), Jeyne Westerling and Edmure's son will be halfway to Casterly Rock before long. They left towards the end of A Feast for Crows. The non-Tyrion Lannister POV chapters happen weeks and months after that. So...why would the Brotherhood stop them at the Golden Tooth when the Brotherhood can just seize control and march them onto Casterly Rock.

That way, Lady Stoneheart can give House Lannister an additional burn by having such carnage occur in their oh-so-beloved, impenetrable subterranean castle.

4 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

Tom O' Sevens is imo there to spy but most importantly to let BwB in during the wedding festivities of Daven and a Frey girl, for Red Wedding 2.0 and retaking Riverrun.

That's a good time to get them in one place! So how many Freys need to die before Edmure becomes Lord of The Twins?

5 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I do think Cersei will go to Casterly Rock at some point as well, maybe after Aegon takes KL or if a religious uprising happens in the city. I think Mother Merciless will come in the form of Euron to The Westerlands after whatever he is doing near The Reach. 

3 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

So, I see Davos taking Rickon, Osha and Shaggydog back to mainland Westeros to the Dreadfort only to find that Stannis never showed up and that the castle is still held by the Boltons. If the timelines line up, maybe Roose Bolton will be there to personally see to their captivity.

I think they are with The Umbers, as Jeyne Poole and Theon seem to be getting questioned on things that Osha would know about Winterfell. Mikken, the cook and the swords from the crypts, they seem to be fact checking things. The northern houses want Rickon, I don't even know if Stannis knows about him, the Northmen could be using Stannis to retake Winterfell only to produce Rickon. The next book is going to have a lot of northern politics about who is ruling.

On 11/28/2019 at 9:23 AM, Jon The Dragon said:

Where will she end up? Stay in the Riverlands, go North, The Vale or South? I'd like to think she compels Jaime to use his army to ride north through the twins (maybe the threatening to kill Brienne) after he learns of 'Jaime Lannister sends his regards' remark, join's up with the Crannogmen at some point and learn about Jon, Jaime could feel like he needs to protect Rhaegar's son, Catelyn could find out her other children are alive, about Ned's honour and try to enforce Robbs will, also Brienne can potentially meet Stannis to fulfil her promise. So many potentials!

Stay in the Riverlands.  She doesn't have a lot of time left.  She will kill or try to kill Jaime Lannister for his minor role in the red wedding.  Jaime knew Roose was plotting to kill Robb Stark. 

51 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I'm honestly surprised that someone never even considered that Catelyn is the head of an expansive network of northmen and rivermen rebels. I think people are clouded by their rather biased views of Catelyn. Not only was Catelyn a very good person, but she has always been remarkably intelligent and socially gifted. She was raised as the future Lady Paramount of the Trident for years. People (especially in the Riverlands) know her and sympathize her. The only people that blame her or talk down on her are the pro-Lannister bad actors: the Karstarks, the Boltons, the Freys, etc.

It has been considered. Radio Westeros did an extensive piece on the BwB a few years ago, before S5 of the abomination. And they pointed out for example how Roose abandoned northman west of the Green Fork when crossing to make for the Twins, and while that faction was taken in the rear, no doubt plenty of them would have escaped. Some likely turned outlaw like Rorge and his mad crew, but others could have joined with the BwB. Then there are the men of RR who surrendered their arms, but refused to become men for Jaime or Emmon Frey. They disappeared into the surroundings, allegedly "going home", but likely will be recruited by the BwB if not the Blackfish.

And I agree: too many readers underestimate the BwB and view LS narrowly as someone out to get revenge, even sometimes thinking she's not looking for her daughters, despite the fact that Merret Frey was questioned about Arya before he was hanged, and LS organizing the Orphans' inn basically. The Crossroads Inn wasn't an inn under the BwB's influence yet when Sandor and Arya stopped by there. But it was turned into an orphanage. This is not just because the Heddle sisters decided this. LS has BwB men guard it unseen. So, it's something she approves off and uses.

The rumor that BwB men were seen to go into the Neck after Merret Frey was hanged atop the ruined castle of Oldstones, also suggests that LS sent those men there, and thus she is engaging in diplomacy and making alliances with potential military forces.

It's just that it's an underground network, and George wants to surprise the reader with hers and the BwBs true abilities and he attempted to downplay her extensive network by making Thoros moan and having Edric Dayne out of the picture.

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I'm rather inclined to think Davos will sail for Eastwatch, as he would believe that to be under command of Jon Snow. It's closer to Skagos, and I don't think Davos will bring the boy to a castle that is a target for an attack. However, Eastwatch was left by Cotter Pyke under the command of a friend of Slynt, and likely part or even the lead behind Jon's assassination attempt (while Bowen is the executer of it). It makes sense to get a POV at Eastwatch, because that's where Cersei wanted to send the Kettleback and extra men with the mission to assassinate Jon, and where two of RR's men were sent to after instead of "going home" they chose to take the black (but do so to inform Jon of Robb's will: Edmure signed it, and must have informed his uncle the Blackfish about it).

3 hours ago, Unit A2 said:

Stay in the Riverlands.  She doesn't have a lot of time left.  She will kill or try to kill Jaime Lannister for his minor role in the red wedding.  Jaime knew Roose was plotting to kill Robb Stark. 

A lot of these characters are running on limited time.

I can actually foresee UnCat surviving well into A Dream of Spring. I can't see her dying (again!) without her reuniting with Bran and Littlefinger.

2 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

It has been considered. Radio Westeros did an extensive piece on the BwB a few years ago, before S5 of the abomination. And they pointed out for example how Roose abandoned northman west of the Green Fork when crossing to make for the Twins, and while that faction was taken in the rear, no doubt plenty of them would have escaped. Some likely turned outlaw like Rorge and his mad crew, but others could have joined with the BwB. Then there are the men of RR who surrendered their arms, but refused to become men for Jaime or Emmon Frey. They disappeared into the surroundings, allegedly "going home", but likely will be recruited by the BwB if not the Blackfish.

And I agree: too many readers underestimate the BwB and view LS narrowly as someone out to get revenge, even sometimes thinking she's not looking for her daughters, despite the fact that Merret Frey was questioned about Arya before he was hanged, and LS organizing the Orphans' inn basically. The Crossroads Inn wasn't an inn under the BwB's influence yet when Sandor and Arya stopped by there. But it was turned into an orphanage. This is not just because the Heddle sisters decided this. LS has BwB men guard it unseen. So, it's something she approves off and uses.

The rumor that BwB men were seen to go into the Neck after Merret Frey was hanged atop the ruined castle of Oldstones, also suggests that LS sent those men there, and thus she is engaging in diplomacy and making alliances with potential military forces.

It's just that it's an underground network, and George wants to surprise the reader with hers and the BwBs true abilities and he attempted to downplay her extensive network by making Thoros moan and having Edric Dayne out of the picture.

I'm rather inclined to think Davos will sail for Eastwatch, as he would believe that to be under command of Jon Snow. It's closer to Skagos, and I don't think Davos will bring the boy to a castle that is a target for an attack. However, Eastwatch was left by Cotter Pyke under the command of a friend of Slynt, and likely part or even the lead behind Jon's assassination attempt (while Bowen is the executer of it). It makes sense to get a POV at Eastwatch, because that's where Cersei wanted to send the Kettleback and extra men with the mission to assassinate Jon, and where two of RR's men were sent to after instead of "going home" they chose to take the black (but do so to inform Jon of Robb's will: Edmure signed it, and must have informed his uncle the Blackfish about it).

True.

Eastwatch is closer to Skagos. But he has to know that Stannis has chosen Nightfort for his wartime seat and Nightfort is hundreds of miles away from Eastwatch.

Eastwatch is too far away from Winterfell (Stannis' ultimate destination and Rickon's home) and White Harbor (the seat of Lord Wyman who asked for the favor) and is still quite a ways from Castle Black.

9 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Eastwatch is closer to Skagos. But he has to know that Stannis has chosen Nightfort for his wartime seat and Nightfort is hundreds of miles away from Eastwatch.

Eastwatch is too far away from Winterfell (Stannis' ultimate destination and Rickon's home) and White Harbor (the seat of Lord Wyman who asked for the favor) and is still quite a ways from Castle Black.

I think that they are at The Last Hearth, going to Eastwatch could prove troublesome for Osha with any remaining Nights Watch. Davos may also think Karhold could prove troublesome for Rickon. Maybe he thinks someone could get sacrificed to R'hllor if he goes to Eastwatch. If they are at Eastwatch though then maybe they could come down with the force of Giants and Mammoths waiting at the wall. The northerners want Rickon, as I said before I don't think Stannis knows about Rickon yet. I expect Stannis to take Winterfell and then Rickon to turn up after to create some political division and tension. Stannis will want to be seen as king, The Northmen might want independence and to crown Jon or Rickon. If LSH arrives at that point, after liberating between Seagard / The Twins and Winterfell, things could get very interesting. 

2 hours ago, Jon The Dragon said:

I think that they are at The Last Hearth, going to Eastwatch could prove troublesome for Osha with any remaining Nights Watch. Davos may also think Karhold could prove troublesome for Rickon. Maybe he thinks someone could get sacrificed to R'hllor if he goes to Eastwatch. If they are at Eastwatch though then maybe they could come down with the force of Giants and Mammoths waiting at the wall. The northerners want Rickon, as I said before I don't think Stannis knows about Rickon yet. I expect Stannis to take Winterfell and then Rickon to turn up after to create some political division and tension. Stannis will want to be seen as king, The Northmen might want independence and to crown Jon or Rickon. If LSH arrives at that point, after liberating between Seagard / The Twins and Winterfell, things could get very interesting. 

Don't forget about Sansa and the Valemen. The Valemen will want Sansa, the female cousin of their overlord (or alternatively, the wife of their overlord) to rule. Some of the First Men wildling Valemen will want Sansa to rule because she is the ex-wife/whatever of Tyrion.

Very interesting succession crisis afoot. Everyone thinks that the other is dead.

Archived