Best incredibly minor character

Hop robin

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

, sorry, off topic, to bring it back, Zahrina (“and one!) the slaver woman from the auction who also runs the tavern in Meereen (incidentally demonstrating the Slavers have already gone back on their word to end slavery within meereen but hey ho)

I am reasonably sure she is the harpy, or at the very least in the organisation. The password for the word at her tavern is "freedom" or something like that. 

The Other who killed Waymar Royce in AGOT prologue. He is definetely a one-liner, and I still wonder what he said:

"The Other said something in a language the Will did not know, his voice was like cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking."

And we learn that the Others have something like humour.

Lady Ravella Smallwood, who is both bawdy and kind. Zei, the prostitute in service on the Wall with her trusty crossbow, and Morna Whitemask, the wildling witch-chieftess who leads her own people in battle, was gifted with one of the Night's watch castles and swore to be Jon Snow's woman, or his man, whatever he prefers. 

9 minutes ago, Daena the Defiant said:

Morna Whitemask, the wildling witch-chieftess who leads her own people in battle, was gifted with one of the Night's watch castles and swore to be Jon Snow's woman, or his man, whatever he prefers. 

I am kicking myself for not remembering Morna, with her weirwood mask. She’s awesome. Thank you. 

This guy is not incredibly minor.  He might even turn out to play a larger role in the future. 

It was evenfall and Dany was feeding her dragons when Irri stepped through the silken curtains to tell her that Ser Jorah had returned from the docks … and not alone.  “Send him in, with whomever he has brought,” she said, curious.

When they entered, she was seated on a mound of cushions, her dragons all about her.  The man he brought with him wore a cloak of green and yellow feathers and had skin as black as polished jet.  “Your Grace,” the knight said, “I bring you Quhuru Mo, captain of the Cinnamon Wind out of Tall Trees Town.”

The black man knelt.  “I am greatly honored, my queen,” he said; not in the tongue of the Summer Isles, which Dany did not know, but in the liquid Valyrian of the Nine Free Cities.

“The honor is mine, Quhuru Mo,” said Dany in the same language.  “Have you come from the Summer Isles?”

“This is so, Your Grace, but before, not half a year past, we called at Oldtown.  From where I bring you a wondrous gift.”

“A gift?”

“A gift of news.  Dragonmother, Stormborn, I tell you true, Robert Baratheon is dead.”

Outside her walls, dusk was settling over Qarth, but a sun had risen in Dany’s heart.  “Dead?” she repeated.  In her lap, black Drogon hissed, and pale smoke rose before her face like a veil.  “You are certain?  The Usurper is dead?”

“So it is said in Oldtown, and Dorne, and Lys, and all the other ports where we have called.”

He sent me poisoned wine, yet I live and he is gone.  “What was the manner of his death?” On her shoulder, pale Viserion flapped wings the color of cream, stirring the air.

“Torn by a monstrous boar whilst hunting in his kingswood, or so I heard in Oldtown.  Others say his queen betrayed him, or his brother, or Lord Stark who was his Hand.  Yet all the tales agree in this: King Robert is dead and in his grave.”

Dany had never looked upon the Usurper’s face, yet seldom a day had passed when she had not thought of him.  His great shadow had lain across her since the hour of her birth, when she forth amidst blood and storm into a world where she no longer had a place.  And now this ebony stranger had lifted that shadow.

“The boy sits the Iron Throne now,” Ser Jorah said.

“King Joffrey reigns,” Quhuru Mo agreed, “but the Lannisters rule.  Robert’s brothers have fled King’s Landing.  The talk is, they mean to claim the crown.  And the Hand has fallen, Lord Stark who was King Robert’s friend.  He has been seized for treason.”

“Ned Stark a traitor?” Ser Jorah snorted.  “Not bloody likely.  The Long Summer will come again before that one would besmirch his precious honor.”

“What honor could he have?” Dany said.  “He was a traitor to his true king, as were the Lannisters.”  It pleased her to hear that the Usurper’s dogs were fighting amongst themselves, though she was unsurprised.  The same thing happened when her Drogo died, and his great khalasar tore itself to pieces.  “My brother is dead as well, Viserys who was the true king,” she told the Summer Islander.  “Khal Drogo my lord husband killed him with a crown of molten gold.”  Would her brother have been any wiser, had he known that the vengeance he had prayed for was so close at hand?

“Then I grieve for you, Dragonmother, and for bleeding Westeros, bereft of its rightful king.”

Beneath Dany’s gentle fingers, green Rhaegal stared at the stranger with eyes of molten gold.  When his mouth opened, his teeth gleamed like black needles.  “When does your ship return to Westeros, Captain?”

“Not for a year or more, I fear.  From here the Cinnamon Wind sails east, to make the trader’s circle round the Jade Sea.”

“I see,” said Dany, disappointed.  “I wish you fair winds and good trading, then.  You have brought me a precious gift.”

“I have been amply repaid, great queen.”

She puzzled at that.  “How so?”

His eyes gleamed.  "I have seen dragons.”

Dany laughed.  “And will see more of them one day, I hope.  Come to me in King’s Landing when I am on my father’s throne, and you shall have a great reward.”

The Summer Islander promised he would do so, kissed her lightly on the fingers as he took his leave.  Jhiqui showed him out, while Ser Jorah Mormont remained.

Quhuru Mo

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, FitzChivalry Fartseer said:

Jalabhar Xho - ‘Guys? Guys? It’s next year now, so, errrrrmmm, can we invade my homeland? Is that possible? Oh, NEXT year? Ok, guys, I’ll chill’

I'd love it if there was some wierd custom where a 'conquest' in the summer islands is just each claimant bringing 100 men and winner takes all and the Lannisters just wasted the chance...

• 2 weeks later...

I too bring you a duo of favorite incredibly minor characters.

1. Josmyn Peckledon - The doughty youth of 14 who acquitted himself honorably in the Battle of the Blackwater, killing two knights, wounding a third, and capturing two more.  He later becomes Jamie's squire.   This kid is going places.

2. Pretty Pia from the buttery - The promiscuous young woman from Harrenhall who clearly has some sort of psychological disorder that prevents her from saying "No." to sex with whomever.  I like her because even though she is used and very badly abused by men and disdained by women, she maintains a certain innocence about her.  When I read about her I not only feel sad but I find myself wishing very badly that she turns out OK in the end.

I award myself Extra Bonus points because not only do these two hook up later in the book and seem to fill a need for each other, but they also both serve as foils for Jamie along his character arc, providing opportunities for him to show kindness, mentoring, and decency.

Pate is by far the best the best secondary character, because he is everywhere, all the time!!

•     Spotted Pate, the aforementioned character, an empty-headed pig boy with good fortune
  •     Pate (novice), a novice at the Citadel
  •     Pate the Woodcock, a knight of King Jaehaerys I's Kingsguard
  •     Pate of Longleaf, a squire who killed Lord Jason Lannister
  •     Pate (Night's Watch), a builder in the Night's Watch
  •     Pate (Ranger), a ranger in the Night's Watch
  •     Pate the stonemason, a stonemason who became High Septon
  •     Pate of Fairmarket, a peasant who became King of the Trident
  •     Pate the Plowman, the founder of House Moreland
  •     Pate (Standfast), a peasant sworn to House Osgrey
  •     Pate of the Blue Fork, a hedge knight married to Amerei Frey
  •     Pate (Pinchbottom), an old man who lived at Little Dosk and was killed by ironborn raiders
  •     Steely Pate, a blacksmith during the reign of Daeron II
  •     Pate (Old), an old man killed by Lannister forces during the War of the Five Kings
  •     Pate (Mory), another man killed by Lannister forces during the War of the Five Kings
  •     Pate (Lancewood), yet another man killed by Lannister forces during the War of the Five Kings
  •     Pate (Shermer's Grove), still another man killed by Lannister forces during the War of the Five Kings
  •     Spotted Pate of Maidenpool, another builder in the Night's Watch, he died defending Castle Black
  •     Pate (whipping boy), a whipping boy for Joffrey and Tommen Baratheon
  •     Pate (orphan), an orphan taken in at the Crossroads inn

On 12/4/2019 at 4:07 AM, Greywater-Watch said:

The Other who killed Waymar Royce in AGOT prologue. He is definetely a one-liner, and I still wonder what he said:

"The Other said something in a language the Will did not know, his voice was like cracking of ice on a winter lake, and the words were mocking."

Dance with me then :fencing:

On 12/4/2019 at 10:07 AM, Greywater-Watch said:

He said 'Every main character who is even remotely heroic will die in this series. You're but the first.', And he was right.

I love for us to come to together make a “grading system” for how “big” a certain character is. Now we would have to discuss (and argue) about what the criteria would be. My idea is to have an A+, A, A-, B+, B, ect. type of ranking. A+ would be the absolute “main character” of the story (Jon, Dany, ect) then work our way down from there. Maybe D+ characters are ones that are mentioned and often “around” but have no real lines. 

Just an idea. 

16 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

I love for us to come to together make a “grading system” for how “big” a certain character is. Now we would have to discuss (and argue) about what the criteria would be. My idea is to have an A+, A, A-, B+, B, ect. type of ranking. A+ would be the absolute “main character” of the story (Jon, Dany, ect) then work our way down from there. Maybe D+ characters are ones that are mentioned and often “around” but have no real lines. 

Just an idea. 

Maybe make an official thread for it, otherwise it will get lost and maybe Hop robin wants the tread the way it is. But interesting idea :) I suspect fights :P

Archived