UK Politics: Who Pays the Andyman?

Tywin Manderly

That's an awful lot of people who, for the next five years, don't get to voice one single fucking word of complaint about schools, hospital waiting times, policing, military cutbacks, child poverty, elderly poverty, the collapse of the union and why is Brexit still effecting their lives in 2023. Completely and totally bizarre.

This must have Boris laughing. He / his party must feel like they really are in a that sort of shoot someone in broad daylight in Hyde Park (cf Times Square for Trump) and still get elected situation.

Some level of Brexit fatigue among conservative remainers? Convinced that get Brexit done, rather than let Brexit drag is the better of 2 bad options?

As an outsider looking in, it might be horrific but there's a silver lining - Boris is going to have to own everything from now on.

If the exit polls are right, Corbyn will have to go.

I'm betting Boris won't last a 5 year term.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

This must have Boris laughing. He / his party must feel like they really are in a that sort of shoot someone in broad daylight in Hyde Park (cf Times Square for Trump) and still get elected situation.

Some level of Brexit fatigue among conservative leavers? Convinced that get Brexit done, rather than let Brexit drag is the better of 2 bad options?

At this point I think we have to concede the point that the UK that is place of fairness, charity and mutual respect - if it ever existed in the first place - certainly no longer exists. We've gone back to 1980s levels of selfishness and a certain subset of people who take genuine, visceral pleasure in the misfortune and misery of others.

Just now, Jeor said:

As an outsider looking in, it might be horrific but there's a silver lining - Boris is going to have to own everything from now on.

If the exit polls are right, Corbyn will have to go.

I'm betting Boris won't last a 5 year term.

A little naive perhaps? Anything bad that happens because of Brexit will be the EU's fault for being petty and not coming to the table in good faith in the future relationship negotiations; which is more likely to be how the UK govt approaches negotiations.

But the biggest concern UK people should have is on trade negotiations with the USA. The UK has pretty much ceded all trade negotiation expertise to Brussels for, what, 40 years? Lambs to the slaughter comes to mind. At least in the case of the EU it still regards the UK as important for the overall prosperity of the EU. The US is more likely to see the UK as ripe for a hostile takeover and asset stripping. I hope your trade negotiators are well prepared, or trying to get well prepared.

Just now, SeanF said:

The conflict between England and Scotland is concerning.

Other than that, a far left led Labour Party has proved that the English and Welsh don't like the far left. 

Or that there are too many people in this country who swallow whatever unutterable horseshit is fed down their throats by Murdoch and his ilk, including the notion that even the Corbyn Labour Party was - as I suppose we must now start using the past tense - "far left" by any reasonable definition of the phrase.

6 minutes ago, Werthead said:

At this point I think we have to concede the point that the UK that is place of fairness, charity and mutual respect - if it ever existed in the first place - certainly no longer exists. We've gone back to 1980s levels of selfishness and a certain subset of people who take genuine, visceral pleasure in the misfortune and misery of others.

Also, typo, I meant to say conservative remainer fatigue.

As someone who supports the progressive movement worldwide this is seriously disappointing. Did the young not turn out to vote this time; they're our only hope for seizing control from oligarch puppets like Johnson.

3 minutes ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

maybe we can still hope Boris loses his seat.   maybe maybe?

I won't hold out hope, but the delicious schadenfreude of the conservatives gaining a large majority, only for Boris to see power slip from his grasp, would be a small consolation.

Fingers crossed on Raab too.

Just now, Liffguard said:

I won't hold out hope, but the delicious schadenfreud of the conservatives gaining a large majority, only for Boris to see power slip from his grasp, would be a small consolation.

Fingers crossed on Raab too.

yeah,   I've not got much hope.   but maybe we can take a few nasty scalps which may take some of the sting out of a massive Tory win

Archived