UK Politics: Who Pays the Andyman?

Tywin Manderly

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-punch-matt-hancock-election-hospital-protest-twitter-nhs-a9239751.html%3famp

As @Heartofice hates fake news so much I'm sure they will be along presently to call the right wing press out on this utter bullshit. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-punch-matt-hancock-election-hospital-protest-twitter-nhs-a9239751.html%3famp

As @Heartofice hates fake news so much I'm sure they will be along presently to call the right wing press out on this utter bullshit. 

Who are the right wing press because it was Robert Peston and Lauran Kuenessberg who reported it, neither of which are even close to right wing. From what I can tell they say they got the news from 'senior tories' , but obviously they don't appear to have bothered to fact check any of it and rushed to get it out onto the internet. They have had to backtrack and apologise when the video came out because clearly it doesn't show what they said had happened. 
Now if there were tories trying put out fake news then not only is that really bad, but also really stupid because there was video of it. But we don't know. I wouldn't put it past the tories because they have history of dishonest tactics. 

But really this is another example of really bad journalism, exactly as the 'Boris SNATCHES phone' example is bad journalism. Even this morning a statement by the hospital in question has apologised to the boy, but also explained that he had already been seen and was waiting in a treatment room as it was unusually busy at the time. Again, doesn't quite tie up to the narrative being pushed. 

Thats not even mentioning a number of almost certainly bull***t tweets going around claiming that the mother of the boy put him on the floor herself in order to take the photo. There is really just layers and layers of fake news going on that it seems impossible to get to the bottom of anything.

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

That ship sailed with the Edstone and the bacon sandwich in 2015 (not that Miliband was a particularly hardcore Blairite anyway)

Ed Miliband wasn't any kind of Blairite. It was his whole deal. He was the anti-Blairite candidate, backed by the unions and everything. You can blame Blairites for a lot of things but not Ed Miliband. 

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

not to mention that at least part of the reason for Blair's success was the lack of direction of the Tories in that time period. With the Tories now embracing neo-Thatcherism (Thatcher but turned all the way to 11), that's not the case now.

Are you seriously suggesting that the Conservative party now, riddled as it is with defections and expulsions and disunity, led by a man with a -47 approval rating and bereft of any actual talent or even competence on the front bench, is not ripe for an effective leader of the opposition to defeat? 

19 hours ago, Jen'ari said:

So what are people’s honest predictions for how it will go now?.

The polls may be wrong and I'm sure they will narrow by the time of the vote on Thursday. But it speaks volumes that even hardcore Labour supporters I know are, in their most optimistic projections, talking about maybe being able to form a minority government. That's the hard limit of their hopes right now. The likelihood, I'm afraid, is that we are talking about a workable Tory majority, I'd guess around 30-50 seats. If we're lucky, we get a repeat of the last parliament, where the government are unable to do anything but the opposition are too fragmented to do anything but block the government. 

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Who are the right wing press because it was Robert Peston and Lauran Kuenessberg who reported it, neither of which are even close to right wing. 

Mail online, the Sun and Express all had 'punched' in their headline. 

7 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

The point being that it wasn't just the right wing press. It was a news story pumped out by pretty left wing journalists who hadn't bothered to do their job and had to apologise later.

You are saying LK is left wing?  She might be compared to you.  That's a pretty low bar though.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

She works for the BBC mate. She's hardly right wing press.

And yet low and behold she was trotting out right wing propaganda without remotely checking the validity of the information she shared.  Who she works for is irrelevant, its what she does with her position that decides how she is viewed.

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

And yet low and behold she was trotting out right wing propaganda without remotely checking the validity of the information she shared.  Who she works for is irrelevant, its what she does with her position that decides how she is viewed.

And Peston did the same thing. 

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

And Peston did the same thing. 

You keep banging on about that as if it is relevant somehow, if one person who could be considered politically neutral/soft left wing shares a story, that doesn't mean that 'the right wing press' were not the driving force behind the story being pushed.  And we know why it was being pushed - to keep Boris being an unfeeling twat out of the news. 

Why aren't you interested in the fact that Conservative sources clearly lied to 'respected' journalists to further their own political ends? 

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

You keep banging on about that as if it is relevant somehow, if one person who could be considered politically neutral/soft left wing shares a story, that doesn't mean that 'the right wing press' were not the driving force behind the story being pushed.  And we know why it was being pushed - to keep Boris being an unfeeling twat out of the news. 

Why aren't you interested in the fact that Conservative sources clearly lied to 'respected' journalists to further their own political ends? 

I bang on about it because it wasn't the right wing press who created the story. I think that is pretty relevant to the narrative you are trying to push here. 

I mentioned the senior tories in my post above. You ignored that, as well as pretty much everything else I said.

I mean, it wasn't the right wing press who created the story lie. It was the Conservative party press office. The right wing press merely jumped on the story lie with delight, and without bothering to check it.

7 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

I find it weird that the BBC is considered left-wing by many. As an institution it's socially liberal, which is not remotely the same thing.

The right consider them left wing biased

The lef consider them right wing biased

They generally do a good job of being politically neutral... up to a point.

But their idea of neutrality is to never call out liars at the time, but to "fact check" them afterwards and separately, where you have to go hunting to find the corrections; and to give equal weight to all opinions, whilst inviting Farage onto Question Time every other week because he talks a lot, whilst being easily distracted by every distraction technique put out there. Oh, and holding the opposition to account to a higher degree than the government of the day - whichever side of the political spectrum that is (presumably because they're the government, and officially have more support than the opposition; and not at all because multiple governments keep threatening to do nasty things to the BBC)

Members of the right-wing that consider the BBC to have a left-wing bias, seem not to really know what left-wing actually means. The BBC is perfectly happy for women and minorities to climb the socioeconomic hierarchy. They are largely unwilling to entertain the notion - indeed they are actively hostile to it - that the hierarchy shouldn't exist. They are defenders of the status quo and entrenched power structures.

Archived