Feologild

I think Sansa should have:

• Executed Littlefinger herself. The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword and since she passed the sentence, she should have swung the sword; is she any better than Joffrey by relying on someone else to do the deed?
  • Learned how to fight, at least to protect the civilians. She wound up being useless when the Night King raised the dead in the crypts and everyone had to flee.

8 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

• Executed Littlefinger herself. The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword and since she passed the sentence, she should have swung the sword; is she any better than Joffrey by relying on someone else to do the deed?
  • Learned how to fight, at least to protect the civilians. She wound up being useless when the Night King raised the dead in the crypts and everyone had to flee.

You wouldn't want to be executed personally by Sansa.  She'd be whacking at your neck over and over.  A professional headsman would be far better. 

And I don't think she'd be much good at cutting your throat, either.  

On 12/3/2019 at 8:49 PM, Feologild said:

So what are your unpopular Game of Thrones opinions?

Here is  of mine that seem to be unpopular. 

Season 7 and 8 where not that bad, they where rushed but not bad.

How can something be rushed and not be bad.

Isn't rushing your way through something that you could've easily taken your time for a bad thing?

On 12/5/2019 at 6:34 PM, BlackLightning said:

Isn't rushing your way through something that you could've easily taken your time for a bad thing?

Rushing it was bad but I personally still enjoy both S7 & S8. They're are by far the lowest of quality seasons but I still found enjoyment in them. 

On 12/5/2019 at 6:56 AM, SeanF said:

You wouldn't want to be executed personally by Sansa.  She'd be whacking at your neck over and over.  A professional headsman would be far better. 

And I don't think she'd be much good at cutting your throat, either.  

Arya's not that practiced with slitting a throat either. I've taken note of how she kills and while most of her kills are poison (Ghita, House Frey), most of her kills up close are stabbings (the stableboy, a Frey soldier, a Lannister soldier, Polliver, Rorge, and the Waif). Before killing Littlefinger, she's only killed two by throat-slitting: Meryn Trant and Walder Frey.

21 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Arya's not that practiced with slitting a throat either. I've taken note of how she kills and while most of her kills are poison (Ghita, House Frey), most of her kills up close are stabbings (the stableboy, a Frey soldier, a Lannister soldier, Polliver, Rorge, and the Waif). Before killing Littlefinger, she's only killed two by throat-slitting: Meryn Trant and Walder Frey.

She would have been trained for it though.

On 12/5/2019 at 7:34 PM, BlackLightning said:

I get this sentiment.  The story itself wasn't really the problem. Most of the things that happen are believable and consistent with the characters/ universe, it was just done quickly and didn't feel right. I think D&D tried to give George's ending to something that stopped being George's story a long time ago and it just fell flat.  My unpopular opinion is that season six is the worst of the entire series, and seasons seven and eight are leaps and bounds better even with their problems. 

My popular decision would be that I'm completely fine with Jon not becoming king. In fact I say its a rare good decision from the season 8 writing. 

Aside from Jon being the main character there's nothing to indicate he'd be a good king. If anything he's a collection of all the attributes that were previously shown as not to work. Jon's reluctance in accepting leadership roles was shown to backfire in Robert, Jon being rigid was shown not to work in Stannis and Jon heavily placing morality over practicality was shown not to work with Ned Stark, Jon disregarding any advice and sticking to his guts was shown not to work with Robb. Not to mention that Jon seemed completely incapable of keeping his vassals in line and content during his rule as king in the north. 

My other unpopular opinion is that I don't really agree with the popular notion that the Starks are simply too pure for this sinful Westeros. They are just ineffective leaders who put their own desire to protect their honor above the common good. 

On 12/4/2019 at 10:13 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Sansa is not a fighter.  Not every woman in the history of the North is/was a warrior.  Her strength is her intelligence and powers of observation.  She didn't have the upper-arm strength to decapitate a melon with a sword, much less strike Littlefinger's head from his body - she'd have botched it horribly.  She should have had Brienne do it.  Or, as in the show, let Arya do it; since Arya is a Stark.  

The writing of Sansa in the crypt was abysmal.  They have Sansa wanting to stay on the wall to show support for the fighters as Lady of Winterfell, and then she falls apart in the crypt.  Sansa should have at least comforted and rallied the others in the crypt; Tyrion also could have tried to form some kind of defensive perimeter (were they given some dragonglass daggers?).  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2019 at 2:09 PM, WolfOfWinter said:

Jaime was never on a redemption arc.

Dany's ending was the most logical outcome for her character.

Jon didn't deserve to be crowned by the Northerners.

Cersei really wasn't that bad a person in the show. 

Then what was Jaime’s purpose?

On 12/18/2019 at 11:09 AM, WolfOfWinter said:

Cersei really wasn't that bad a person in the show. 

It is unfortunate that this is an unpopular opinion, because it is objectively and manifestly true.

No doubt the undue conflation of A Song of Ice and Fire with Game of Thrones has colored people's perspectives and induced confusion when attempting to analyze characters, but it's especially problematic with Show!Cersei. It is true that marketing played a major role in painting her as villainous, but how readily people bought into it is very much due to sexism -- but it wouldn't be Game of Thrones if misogyny didn't permeate every aspect of the show, internal and external. ;)

Until the nonsensical and very poorly justified cleverly crafted and logical transformation into Mad Queen ™ at the end of Season 6, Cersei essentially did nothing wrong since killing Robert in Season 1, besides issuing verbal threats and engaging in some immature conduct -- both of which she was hardly the only culprit in doing, and neither of which is indicative of a villain, especially on GoT. For the most part, she was largely reacting to clear and present threats to her children.

The narrative exhibited something that was at odds with what we were apparently meant to think; we were only told, by other characters and by promotional materials, that Cersei was evil, and were never shown it until she "chose violence" in Season 6, at which point she... was retconned into being a deranged hedonist?

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Then what was Jaime’s purpose?

Your mistake is thinking that anything pertaining to the show had any purpose or semblance of deeper meaning; it was all extremely superficial and illogical more often than not.

Having said that, Show!Jaime most consistently fulfilled one purpose: to promote twincest.

Archived