How did you pick your screen name?

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

I see so many different & unique screen names & am always curious as to the story behind them, or what they mean. 

Some seem straight forward, ode's to our favorite characters or a fun twist on a characters name, but maybe there is more to the story than that?

For example, my screen name, I assume appears to be a nod to R+L=J, but to be completely honest when I made the screen name it hadn't even occurred to me that this may be the case. What did occur to me, fairly early on, is that Lyanna was not kidnapped & raped by Rhaegar, but went willingly & consensually. So that is how I came to the Lyanna "sideways heart" Rhaegar name

Other names I considered were anything to do with Arya because she is my favorite female character or something to do with the direwolves because, well, they are cool.

So the questions I pose to you are:

1. What is the story behind your screen name? How did you come up with it? What does it mean?

2. What were some other names you considered before choosing your current name? Why did you discard those names & stick with the one you have? 

Hugor is my favorite character. In the 90s there was this thing to teach kids to spell, or something, hooked on phonics. South Park made an episode where Cartman learns from Hooked on monkey phonics, my name is kind of an homage to that silly joke.

I changed my name to that from Third Eyes the Charm. Which was a play off of the phrase third times the charm. This was the third time I made an account here. (I had to create a 3rd account after this website changed its format. I believe I had a fake email attached to my previous screen name, or maybe i just forgot my password, mayne both)

My second account was Hugor Stone. My two favorite characters were exiled and forced to change their name to respectively Hugor and Stone. So my name was an homage to them and their current situation.

I dont think im allowed to talk about my first account lol, so Im gonna stop typing, around... now

51 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Hugor is my favorite character. In the 90s there was this thing to teach kids to spell, or something, hooked on phonics. South Park made an episode where Cartman learns from Hooked on monkey phonics, my name is kind of an homage to that silly joke.

I changed my name to that from Third Eyes the Charm. Which was a play off of the phrase third times the charm. This was the third time I made an account here. (I had to create a 3rd account after this website changed its format. I believe I had a fake email attached to my previous screen name, or maybe i just forgot my password, mayne both)

My second account was Hugor Stone. My two favorite characters were exiled and forced to change their name to respectively Hugor and Stone. So my name was an homage to them and their current situation.

I dont think im allowed to talk about my first account lol, so Im gonna stop typing, around... now

haha! nice! My husband has watched a lot of South Park, but I have not. I do remember hooked on Phonics though! 

It was the name of my DnD character at the time when I was starting my internet presence, and I've used it for all kinds of sites. Originally, it's a possible spelling for the mother of King Arthur, and I liked its sound as well as rather exotic looks. Hm... and it's the name of my current DnD character, too :D

11 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

It was the name of my DnD character at the time when I was starting my internet presence, and I've used it for all kinds of sites. Originally, it's a possible spelling for the mother of King Arthur, and I liked its sound as well as rather exotic looks.

Interesting! I always thought it was something to do with Ygritte. How do you pronounce it?

26 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

It was the name of my DnD character at the time when I was starting my internet presence, and I've used it for all kinds of sites. Originally, it's a possible spelling for the mother of King Arthur, and I liked its sound as well as rather exotic looks. Hm... and it's the name of my current DnD character, too :D

Does name Yvraine sounds similar to yours? If it does than GW can add another rip-off/inspiration to the list.

1 minute ago, Ygrain said:

GW?

Games Workshop it is kinda like Wizards of the Coast, company focusing on miniatures and tabletop games, but with extensive following novels of varied quality. They were known for taking inspiration of their character from Arthurian Legend, but also Herbert, Tolkien, Michael Moorcock .

6 minutes ago, Eltharion21 said:

Games Workshop it is kinda like Wizards of the Coast, company focusing on miniatures and tabletop games, but with extensive following novels of varied quality. They were known for taking inspiration of their character from Arthurian Legend, but also Herbert, Tolkien, Michael Moorcock .

Ah, I see. Yes, most likely a ripoff, the pronunciation is the same minus the g/v swap.

Interesting thread, choosing one's name is concept that was kinda esoteric to me with "Nomen est omen" latin saying   and  even Planescapes:  "Power in Names".

My has two layers: First is depiction of Stannis with Flaming Sword and Crown of Iron in black, mocking his Tv biased representation and some of his detractors:

The dark lord brooded high in his tower," Galyeon began, "in a castle as black as the night." "Black was his hair and black was his soul," the musicians chanted in unison. 

Name of Eltharion is originating from Tolkien, but mine is from Warhammer Fantasy short story - The Blade Reforged ( About Elven lord fighting Witch King and after being tortured and blinded (kinda like Maedhros), and sent as an example, preparing to take vengeance against his immortal foe)

"You are setting down a path that can lead to great glory or great tragedy," Belannaer replied after a moment's thought. "There is nothing more for you to study in the ways of fighting. Now you must study your own heart."

That quote oddly resonated with me, making him my favorite character in setting and I feel it also ties with quote Martin often mentioned:

“The only thing worth writing about is the human heart in conflict with itself” ― William Faulkner

When I was a boy, I used to ride my bike to the nearest bookstore and look for new paperback releases of books from Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion Multiverse. The best best were from the Elric of Melnibone series. I stopped reading high fantasy for a long time, turning to horror, and then to political thrillers, and then to post-apocalyptic science fiction.

After my second son was born, I used to take him downstairs so my wife could sleep. I'd lie him upon my chest while sitting on our big comfy chair and channel surf. One night I stumbled upon Season One of HBO's GOT, because Sean Bean is such a good actor. I realized at once that the series must be based on a fantasy series, and I discovered ASOIAF. I spoiled myself as to dragons, the red wedding, and R+L=J, and then I stopped watching the series and exploring ASOIAF online and began to read. Fortunately, I only had to wait a month or so for Dance. By the time I had found this forum, I was totally hooked on ASOIAF. I was a Lost Melnibonean who had returned to high fantasy. 

6 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

haha! nice! My husband has watched a lot of South Park, but I have not.

Its a great show. I mean I havent watched in like a decade but some of those older episodes are the funniest things Ive ever seem. Lol that monkey

1 hour ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Alexis Rose, international woman of mystery. Schitt's Creek. Her mother can't remember her middle name so she tells her, "your name is Alexis something rose." Then she thinks it's Emma, but it's not.

:D I I knew it! Everytime I read one of your posts I picture Alexis with those wrists and her hand facing down lol

8 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

1. What is the story behind your screen name? How did you come up with it? What does it mean?

A combo of the "meaning" of my actual name and middle name. The first means "sweetheart", the second means "sunray".

To answer 2. No didn't consider any other name, as it's my screenname since 1999.

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

When I was a boy, I used to ride my bike to the nearest bookstore and look for new paperback releases of books from Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion Multiverse. The best best were from the Elric of Melnibone series. I stopped reading high fantasy for a long time, turning to horror, and then to political thrillers, and then to post-apocalyptic science fiction.

After my second son was born, I used to take him downstairs so my wife could sleep. I'd lie him upon my chest while sitting on our big comfy chair and channel surf. One night I stumbled upon Season One of HBO's GOT, because Sean Bean is such a good actor. I realized at once that the series must be based on a fantasy series, and I discovered ASOIAF. I spoiled myself as to dragons, the red wedding, and R+L=J, and then I stopped watching the series and exploring ASOIAF online and began to read. Fortunately, I only had to wait a month or so for Dance. By the time I had found this forum, I was totally hooked on ASOIAF. I was a Lost Melnibonean who had returned to high fantasy. 

Similar story here... WoT pushed me over the edge to drop reading fantasy early around the millenium. I was content with Pratchett, Tolkien and Tad Williams' trilogy, and if I wanted to read fantasy I'd just reread those. I was so insulated from it for so long that I held off watching the series. But then I required binge material while studying for a physics exam, and I ended up with S1, while S3 had already aired. I was floored. I had not expected a fantasy series that I could consider a companion to those three. Looked up the author's name, went to a book shop, bought all the books and started reading, and am to this day still mystified it came out during my heydays of reading fantasy, while I was still in college, and for the life of me cannot understand how I ended up missing them being published. Maybe my book shop barely gave them any notice or something. In those days, internet wasn't common yet. Still I was on Amazon ordering books since 1998 or so. :dunno:

11 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Does anyone know how to change their username?

Just go to your profile, edit profile (I think), and change username is one of the options.

@Jabar of House Titan, nope. Click on the arrow thingy that appears next to your user name and you’ll get a scroll down menu. Then choose account settings, and that’s where you can change it. 

Archived