How did you pick your screen name?

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

@Lyanna<3Rhaegar Great idea for a thread! There are so many screen names on this site which I have wondered about. May I finally have some answers! 

Thanks for the '<3' explanation. I'm afraid I am mystified by the magical art of using numbers and symbols for words or meaning. 

@Ygrain, your name is one which I have been curious about before. Thanks for the explanation!

@Daendrew, I had always figured this was a play on a real life name mixed with the Targaryen 'ae' spelling. I guess I wasn't too far off in my assumption.

@Lost Melnibonean, your name is one which i was proud to recognize right away. Great series. I do have a name question for you though, who is @Lost Melnibonean II?

As to my own name choice, it is two-parter. First, it is a play on the phrase "brother from another mother", which is basically a phrase for a friend whom you may think of as close as a brother. 

Second, it comes from a combination of ideas in the novels. The numerous baby switches is one. Another is how Craster's male offspring are Others from a mother. 

I look forward to seeing some more names and explanations on here.

6 hours ago, Ygrain said:

It was the name of my DnD character at the time when I was starting my internet presence, and I've used it for all kinds of sites. Originally, it's a possible spelling for the mother of King Arthur, and I liked its sound as well as rather exotic looks. Hm... and it's the name of my current DnD character, too :D

*sigh* DnD :D I need ppl who'll play that with me. Somehow I'm always the only nerd in my friend group. 

3 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

A combo of the "meaning" of my actual name and middle name. The first means "sweetheart", the second means "sunray".

I was under the impression that you were vlaams. I lived in Noord Brabant as a teen, what is your name? Toets or Zoet or something delightful like that? 

2 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

@kissdbyfire Don’t tempt me

Go on. 

Or not. I don’t wanna be blamed later. And I don’t know about your username, although I like to think it’s to do w/ Dacey Mormont, of the Awesome She-Bear Clan, but I fucking love your avi. :thumbsup:

15 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

I was under the impression that you were vlaams. I lived in Noord Brabant as a teen, what is your name? Toets or Zoet or something delightful like that? 

It's Jill ;) The English version of the Latin Julia, which in English also means "sweetheart". The middle name is Helen, the anglicised version of Helena, which is not only a name that launched a thousand ships, but also means Sunray in ancient Greek.

So, I'm named after Juliet and Helena so to speak, though Helenia is my mom's middle name and was the first name of my grandmother who died a month before I was born.

And yes, I'm from Flanders, though both my great-grandparents at my mother's side moved from the Netherlands to Belgium at the change of the 19th-20th century. My parents just preferred English sounding names.

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I don’t wanna be blamed later.

I would never put the blame of my own behaviour on someone else! 

I lingered and lurked to read topics on this forum for a few months before I decided to join in. As a regular ASD my first username was my own real name (I had been so focused on reading content I had never bothered to look at the user names). After I registered I realised it “would not do” (as Syrio Forel would put it) to be called “Maria” in this forum, so I went for my most loved inconspicuous character of the series, the one I would like to be in real life (come on Dacey Mormont is comfortable both in mail and gowns, while I’m just absolutely never comfortable regardless of what I’m wearing). 

10 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

It's Jill ;) The English version of the Latin Julia, which in English also means "sweetheart". The middle name is Helen, the anglicised version of Helena, which is not only a name that launched a thousand ships, but also means Sunray in ancient Greek.

Hi Jill! Glad to make acquaintances at last :) I know a lot of Julias around here and I never knew the meaning of that name. As always, you enrich me! 

4 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

I would never put the blame of my own behaviour on someone else! 

I lingered and lurked to read topics on this forum for a few months before I decided to join in. As a regular ASD my first username was my own real name (I had been so focused on reading content I had never bothered to look to user names). After I registered I realised it “would not do” (as Syrio Forel would put it) to be called “Maria” in this forum, so I went for my most loved inconspicuous character of the series, the one I would like to be in real life (come on Dacey Mormont is comfortable both in mail and gowns, while I’m just absolutely never comfortable regardless of what I’m wearing). 

I :wub: all the Mormont women. 

And that post read incredibly sober. And I had even made myself a stiff G&T, so as to not let you drink alone... pfff. 

1 minute ago, Lady Dacey said:

Hi Jill! Glad to make acquaintances at last :) I know a lot of Julias around here and I never knew the meaning of that name. As always, you enrich me! 

Hi Maria :D

In Latin it has no actual meaning, only in English (worded that wrong post above). In Latin it's the female version of Julius or the Julians.

Archived