How did you pick your screen name?

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

Mine was originally The Pebble that Hides.   -Its been shortend to Pebble,  or Pebbles or Pebs over the years.  the most recent iteration due to kinda adopting the Stubbies into the very short people collective.

When I joined I wanted a name that had a nod to the books,  and also reflected me.  Pebbles and Mountains are made out of the same stuff just exist in different scales of magnitude.

Pebble cos I'm a short arse,   its also a nod to my Hubby who often told me that his RL name meant Pebble or small stone.

and the hides,  cos it rhymes with rides.   and I'm often accused of hiding down there normally after someone has walked straight into me, and thrown their beer all over me, after mistaking me for a gap in the crowd. 

1 hour ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Mine was originally The Pebble that Hides.   -Its been shortend to Pebble,  or Pebbles or Pebs over the years.  the most recent iteration due to kinda adopting the Stubbies into the very short people collective.

When I joined I wanted a name that had a nod to the books,  and also reflected me.  Pebbles and Mountains are made out of the same stuff just exist in different scales of magnitude.

Pebble cos I'm a short arse,   its also a nod to my Hubby who often told me that his RL name meant Pebble or small stone.

and the hides,  cos it rhymes with rides.   and I'm often accused of hiding down there normally after someone has walked straight into me, and thrown their beer all over me, after mistaking me for a gap in the crowd. 

I believe you were also the Black Bear at one point although did you actually change your name for that or just the avatar? :P 

I was originally Florence’s Machine, a play on my favourite band’s name (Florence and the Machine). Then i think it was Helena’s Machine, to mash my own name with the old username. And from there to Helena Ex Machina because i’m very unoriginal and thought it sounded good. And now I don’t want to change it because its such a faff and people are used to it

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I believe you were also the Black Bear at one point although did you actually change your name for that or just the avatar? :P 

I was originally Florence’s Machine, a play on my favourite band’s name (Florence and the Machine). Then i think it was Helena’s Machine, to mash my own name with the old username. And from there to Helena Ex Machina because i’m very unoriginal and thought it sounded good. And now I don’t want to change it because its such a faff and people are used to it

oh I've had lots of temporary names but always come back to a Pebble of some kind

It's the name of a carrier pigeon in a Tad Williams book.  I think it was a pigeon.  I never really connected with the book but the name stuck.  I used to name my mix tapes and other such things Inkdaub1...Inkdaub2...etc.  Inkdaub was the first user name I used the first time I needed one on the computer.  That may have been the first time I logged in to the internet.  One of the first anyway. 

Mine was born when I took an online IQ test and got a really high score minutes before creating my first ever email account, which I jokingly/braggingly named polishgenius. Little while later I joined a couple of forums under that name and it's been my handle everywhere since.

Except on twitter, where some rando has it and I have to be polskigenius, but I've got my eye on the upcoming purge as they don't use their account much and I can hopefully grab it then.

I joined almost 20 years ago in the ezboard days so actual character names were much more available. Back then I was a whippersnapping teenager, so I figured I would go the opposite way and choose a crusty old codger as my screen name (though I'm pretty sure I wasn't fooling anyone given the banality of my early posting life).

Plus I liked the character.

I'm also from Australia, so coming from a faraway island with an outdoorsy culture where (drop) bears might kill you at any moment was an added bonus. :D

5 hours ago, Ygrain said:

You mean, it's a translation for dracarys? :-)

It also might reference a small, hardy mouse known for survival in an extreme environment.  There's a shadow shaped like this mouse on the second moon.

On 12/7/2019 at 3:12 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Everybody was the Black Bear that one time he hosted pictionary and complained about all the PMs that he was getting and couldn't differentiate. :P 

My username is basically the English translation of my real name. For a while just after I joined the forum, my username was Dacey Mormont, for obvious ASOIAF-related reasons, but I realised quite soon that I don't really want an ASOIAF game, so I've been Buckwheat since. Sometimes people shorten it to Buck or Bucky, I even got used to being called that by people at cons.

I am the actual God of Science, you know?

Okay, here's the serious story: Back when I first signed in to a forum I was doing so with the intention of writing Stargate fanfiction. I was pissed at Stargate's tendency to just genocide villainous peoples even after showing that they might not quite be always chaotically evil as a species. The first story was therefore a prequel story about the Goa'uld at the height of their empire, with one of them named Toth being the main character witnessing their descent into madness and a confusing civil war when Ptah is overthrown by Ra.

Yes, it was the fanfic of a 16 years old, so of course Toth was a super sarcastic self-insert, but honestly I don't care because I never again managed to go as bonkers with a character and so he stuck as my handle everywhere. And even when it was taken I went for the Egyptian spelling of Dschehuti or when even that was taken I named my handle after his flagship in the story (for example with my Steam account).

Archived