How did you pick your screen name?

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

I think I already said this, but mine means "bad luck" (or "a person with bad luck") in Serbian. It's spelled differently of course.

It started in Dungeons&Dragons game some 15 years ago, or something like that. I had notoriously bad luck with dice in that game and I named one of my characters "Baxus" because of that. Then I used it on some other message board and kind of adopted it as my online alias at the time.

13 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Shit. This isn't the Dragonriders of Pern fan page...?  Nearly 20 years down the drain...

It's not but don't think you walk around unrecognized :D

Loved the Dragonriders when I read the first volume but gradually, fell out :-(

Because: 

"Not half so dreadful rises to the sight,
Through the thick gloom of some tempestuous night,
Orion’s dog (the year when autumn weighs),
And o’er the feebler stars exerts his rays;
Terrific glory! for his burning breath
Taints the red air with fevers, plagues, and death."

And because I like dogs. A lot. 

5 hours ago, dog-days said:

Because: 

Wonderfully ominous and evocative.

9 hours ago, dog-days said:

Because: 

A crying shame, I always thought(hoped) your name was because the dog days are over, the dog days are done, can you hear the horses! because here they come.

:( 

:P 

there are 2 stories...one true and one less true

1...i am a glorified rockhound who will use all senses to determine the mineral content of a sample ... rocksniffer sounded better than rocklicker

2...When i was young sailor i was nicknamed crotchsniffer for a habit i had of receiving certain perfumed articles of clothing from Ladies who i spent time with in port ... so i tweaked it for the forum and my geologic bent...

On 12/6/2019 at 10:24 PM, Pebble thats Stubby said:

oh I've had lots of temporary names but always come back to a Pebble of some kind

i am still waiting for the best name of all... Pebs the Prober... :bowdown:

On 12/6/2019 at 9:12 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I believe you were also the Black Bear at one point although did you actually change your name for that or just the avatar? :P 

<snip>

On 12/8/2019 at 9:53 AM, Buckwheat said:

Everybody was the Black Bear that one time he hosted pictionary and complained about all the PMs that he was getting and couldn't differentiate. :P 

<snip>

it is known...

i too was the black bear...of course i was smoking :smoking:

On 12/7/2019 at 6:30 AM, Leap said:

no idea

I think at least part of the motivation was something that was neat and not full of numbers, plus I arrived a little bit late to be Varys' Estranged Ballbag.

you and me both, brother...and the gods are still weeping for us

On 12/8/2019 at 8:33 AM, Inkdaub said:

It also might reference a small, hardy mouse known for survival in an extreme environment.  There's a shadow shaped like this mouse on the second moon.

...i thought they called that one Muad'Dib

On 12/8/2019 at 3:40 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Shit. This isn't the Dragonriders of Pern fan page...?  Nearly 20 years down the drain...

:lmao:

On 12/9/2019 at 5:38 AM, Ygrain said:

It's not but don't think you walk around unrecognized :D

Loved the Dragonriders when I read the first volume but gradually, fell out :-(

i recognized the Jaxom reference right away as well...my Number One Niece, aka @She who must be Obeyed really dug this series, has every one, even the ones by Anne's son.

once before i was kicked-out and barred-for-life from Nashville. Tennessee, i was a guest of Davidson County sheriff's dept for a couple of days and she gave me The White Dragon (#3) to read...it was a good story so i read some of the others

On 12/10/2019 at 4:20 PM, larrytheimp said:

4:20 blaze it

...aren't all of the clocks set to 4:20 all of the time...

:smoking:

7 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

I can't say this without slipping into Everett McGill's voice.  Which is good.  We should all talk like Everett McGill.  All the time.

13 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

there are 2 stories...one true and one less true

1...i am a glorified rockhound who will use all senses to determine the mineral content of a sample ... rocksniffer sounded better than rocklicker

2...When i was young sailor i was nicknamed crotchsniffer for a habit i had of receiving certain perfumed articles of clothing from Ladies who i spent time with in port ... so i tweaked it for the forum and my geologic bent...

i am still waiting for the best name of all... Pebs the Prober... :bowdown:

it is known...

i too was the black bear...of course i was smoking :smoking:

you and me both, brother...and the gods are still weeping for us

:lmao:

i recognized the Jaxom reference right away as well...my Number One Niece, aka @She who must be Obeyed really dug this series, has every one, even the ones by Anne's son.

once before i was kicked-out and barred-for-life from Nashville. Tennessee, i was a guest of Davidson County sheriff's dept for a couple of days and she gave me The White Dragon (#3) to read...it was a good story so i read some of the others

...aren't all of the clocks set to 4:20 all of the time...

:smoking:

I should have suggested you hook up with the Columbia Gem and Mineral society year’s ago.  Even after moving to Greenville we help with the pre-Thanksgiving Rock show out at Jamil Temple.  :)

9 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I should have suggested you hook up with the Columbia Gem and Mineral society year’s ago.  Even after moving to Greenville we help with the pre-Thanksgiving Rock show out at Jamil Temple.  :)

...never even thought of it...just looked at website. i shall look into it

thanks

how are you liking the upstate?

On 12/5/2019 at 9:22 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I see so many different & unique screen names & am always curious as to the story behind them, or what they mean. 

Some seem straight forward, ode's to our favorite characters or a fun twist on a characters name, but maybe there is more to the story than that?

For example, my screen name, I assume appears to be a nod to R+L=J, but to be completely honest when I made the screen name it hadn't even occurred to me that this may be the case. What did occur to me, fairly early on, is that Lyanna was not kidnapped & raped by Rhaegar, but went willingly & consensually. So that is how I came to the Lyanna "sideways heart" Rhaegar name

Other names I considered were anything to do with Arya because she is my favorite female character or something to do with the direwolves because, well, they are cool.

So the questions I pose to you are:

1. What is the story behind your screen name? How did you come up with it? What does it mean?

2. What were some other names you considered before choosing your current name? Why did you discard those names & stick with the one you have? 

Way back when on dial up AOL in the 90's (I'm an old geezer) I wanted Drawkcab to be my email/screen name. Just thought it was neat at that time. But it was taken. I tried Drawkcabi and it was available. Then in 2002 I joined the ASOIAF board of that time and I was just using Drawkcabi as my screen name for most things. Since then I've thought maybe it should be Drawkabimi or I could have tried just Drawkcab for the EZBoard, but whatever, it is what it is and it's what I've grown into as an identity.

It was the combination of a little dyslexia (p,b,d issues) and a typo (and some frustrations)

Back on the old board, there couldn't be any duplicate names from ANYWHERE in ez-board (not just our group) so I was trying to come up with various spellings of Lady and after many many tries, I can only assume I was aiming for the b (instead of the d :rolleyes: ) and the name was accepted.  At first I tried ignoring the Lany part and would even sign my post with Cassandra or Cassie or "C" but everyone still called me Lany, so I eventually accepted it.

By the time we migrated here, I had become Lany and was happy with it, so I kept my typo of a name :)

Actually, I am now glad that I made the mistake.  I was still new to the internet back then.  Now I couldn't even imagine being a "Lady" anything.

Archived