How did you pick your screen name?

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

4 hours ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

It was the combination of a little dyslexia (p,b,d issues) and a typo (and some frustrations)

Back on the old board, there couldn't be any duplicate names from ANYWHERE in ez-board (not just our group) so I was trying to come up with various spellings of Lady and after many many tries, I can only assume I was aiming for the b (instead of the d :rolleyes: ) and the name was accepted.  At first I tried ignoring the Lany part and would even sign my post with Cassandra or Cassie or "C" but everyone still called me Lany, so I eventually accepted it.

By the time we migrated here, I had become Lany and was happy with it, so I kept my typo of a name :)

Actually, I am now glad that I made the mistake.  I was still new to the internet back then.  Now I couldn't even imagine being a "Lady" anything.

I love this story in part because i always thought “Lany” was intentional and i could not imagine you as anyone else now!

Wow, who knew everyone had such interesting ways of naming themselves! :thumbsup:

I was trying to decide on a ASoIaF type name when my Uncle Rocksniffer complained to @Fragile Bird about my bossy nature in making him take vitamins and she dubbed me "She who must be Obeyed" or SwmbO for short. I must admit it is perfect for me!

So I am She, thanks to the original She Who Must Be Obeyed :D

1 hour ago, She who must be Obeyed said:

Wow, who knew everyone had such interesting ways of naming themselves! :thumbsup:

I was trying to decide on a ASoIaF type name when my Uncle Rocksniffer complained to @Fragile Bird about my bossy nature in making him take vitamins and she dubbed me "She who must be Obeyed" or SwmbO for short. I must admit it is perfect for me!

Did I ever tell you who She is? The wife of lawyer Rumpole of the Bailey.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Did I ever tell you who She is? The wife of lawyer Rumpole of the Bailey.

Wow, I just looked at the show and books about Rumpole which, led me to She: A history of Adventure by Haggard. It is like a whole new world I never knew. I see English Lit, as I was taught, was not limited to Shakespeare. Who knew??!! Not me apparently. :rolleyes:

Time to go to bookstore!

57 minutes ago, maarsen said:

She is also the title of H. Rider Haggard's novel. That is where Rumpole got it. 

I never knew about this book. I must look it up! Thanks, guys. I just watched Rumpole of the Bailey (and read the books) and the fact that he called her She who must be obeyed. I don't remember a reference to Haggard. Learn something new every day!

5 hours ago, She who must be Obeyed said:

Nice story but in my head you are always going to be named as a Liveships Traders reference

13 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I never knew about this book. I must look it up! Thanks, guys. I just watched Rumpole of the Bailey (and read the books) and the fact that he called her She who must be obeyed. I don't remember a reference to Haggard. Learn something new every day!

He also wrote King Solomon's Mines. That you may have heard of. His books are available on Project Gutenberg for download. 

On 12/20/2019 at 7:42 PM, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

It was the combination of a little dyslexia (p,b,d issues) and a typo (and some frustrations)

Back on the old board, there couldn't be any duplicate names from ANYWHERE in ez-board (not just our group) so I was trying to come up with various spellings of Lady and after many many tries, I can only assume I was aiming for the b (instead of the d :rolleyes: ) and the name was accepted.  At first I tried ignoring the Lany part and would even sign my post with Cassandra or Cassie or "C" but everyone still called me Lany, so I eventually accepted it.

By the time we migrated here, I had become Lany and was happy with it, so I kept my typo of a name :)

Actually, I am now glad that I made the mistake.  I was still new to the internet back then.  Now I couldn't even imagine being a "Lady" anything.

I cannot imagine Lany ever having been a typo! I thought it was just a name you liked, I actually like how it looks and sounds.

19 hours ago, maarsen said:

She is also the title of H. Rider Haggard's novel. That is where Rumpole got it. 

I was reading some literature history a few months ago and cam across a reference to She Who Must Be Obeyed, the Rider Haggard's version. And I remembered I knew that nickname from somewhere ... the board!

On 12/15/2019 at 6:07 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

A crying shame, I always thought(hoped) your name was because the dog days are over, the dog days are done, can you hear the horses! because here they come.

:( 

:P

Nah, besides I think there's a quota of one Florence and the Machine reference in a screen name per internet message board. 

I was a young teenager ecstatic over finding the old EZBoard and people who actually read what I liked. At the time my favorite character was Renly, and everything but Renly of Storms End was taken. I was so eager to join I forgot to spell check and became Reny of Storms End. Was ambivalent about the name for awhile. After I went to a couple Worldcons and met some awesome folks  decided I really like the name though. 

I joined way before the TV show was thought of. When I joined most other people seemed to have names related to the books so I just went to the character list in the back of one of the books and read through until I found a name I liked that wasn't already taken. For some reason I have always been fond of the "or" sound in names, so Ormond seemed like a good choice.

4 hours ago, Reny of Storms End said:

I was a young teenager ecstatic over finding the old EZBoard and people who actually read what I liked. At the time my favorite character was Renly, and everything but Renly of Storms End was taken. I was so eager to join I forgot to spell check and became Reny of Storms End. Was ambivalent about the name for awhile. After I went to a couple Worldcons and met some awesome folks  decided I really like the name though. 

Has anyone every said this? :P

45 minutes ago, Ormond said:

I joined way before the TV show was thought of. When I joined most other people seemed to have names related to the books so I just went to the character list in the back of one of the books and read through until I found a name I liked that wasn't already taken. For some reason I have always been fond of the "or" sound in names, so Ormond seemed like a good choice.

My man :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Triskele said:

I feel like if there was a board historian (is there not one?) that it would be fascinating that a thread like this attracts so many "non-regulars."  Ponder it if you will.  

You're not the board historian? Then who the hell is keeping a record of my super deep, enlightening, jean-yes posts?

Now go answer my Census (Where are you from?) question! 

Edit: I don't think it's a mystery on why threads like these would attract what you term "non-regulars". If you're looking at the board and see a thread that is just a fun question, it's easier to reply to than other threads where you may have to formulate an opinion, and then maybe get drawn into a debate.

Archived