How did you pick your screen name?

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

5 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

but please tell me you are a fellow Harry Potter fanatic

What sort of doubt do you have? Of course she must be a potterhead too!

(Now let’s talk about the superior juvenile book series His Dark Materials? I do feel so sorry HBO is also screwing up these books...)

1 minute ago, Lady Dacey said:

What sort of doubt do you have? Of course she must be a potterhead too!

(Now let’s talk about the superior juvenile book series His Dark Materials? I do feel so sorry HBO is also screwing up these books...)

His dark materials is amazing!! I haven't read them in so long though that I am able to enjoy the show some :)

I don't think they have done a good job of explaining the daemons though. For instance: 

Spoiler

Billy Costa being cut from his daemon is so heart wrenching - or should be. I think they should have explained more how painful it is to be far from your daemon & what exactly it means to be cut from them. Really all they said was that they are their souls outside their body - which has many implications but I think it should have been touched on more. On the other hand the brunette Mrs. Coulter is sooo creepy! I think she has done well so far 

49 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And that post read incredibly sober.

Top five comments I’ve ever got ever! Definitely! 

50 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And I had even made myself a stiff G&T, so as to not let you drink alone... pfff. 

Aren’t you amazing? You are. And even though I’m drinking fancy beer at the moment I feel like I must share gin is my particular favourite spirt and G&T my favourite drink specially if a throw some fresh ginger in it

5 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

Now let’s talk about the superior juvenile book series His Dark Materials? I do feel so sorry HBO is also screwing up these books...)

Read those books a lifetime ago, and I will admit to not remembering much. But I’m rather enjoying the TV show... especially after that god-awful film they made a few years ago. 

(Also, sorry, I know humour doesn’t always translate well in writing, but I was of course joking when I said my derailing of the thread was all your fault :blush: ).

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

Read those books a lifetime ago, and I will admit to not remembering much. But I’m rather enjoying the TV show... especially after that god-awful film they made a few years ago. 

(Also, sorry, I know humour doesn’t always translate well in writing, but I was of course joking when I said my derailing of the thread was all your fault :blush: ).

Yes! I think not having read the books recently has allowed me to enjoy the series also & absolutely nothing could be worse than the terrible movie. 

I can't believe how much I like Mrs. Coulter. I was disappointed at first because she wasn't what I expected looks wise but she is great. Lyra is growing on me & I love the Gyptians. 

2 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

Top five comments I’ve ever got ever! Definitely! 

Aren’t you amazing? You are. And even though I’m drinking fancy beer at the moment I feel like I must share gin is my particular favourite spirt and G&T my favourite drink specially if a throw some fresh ginger in it

Interesting! Have ginger growing in my garden, and will most defo try that in tomorrow’s G&T! (Do you grate some on top, or chop it or what? I need a recipe!)

1 minute ago, Angel Eyes said:

My screen name comes from Angel Eyes, the villain of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly since I hail from the same state as Lee Van Cleef (though I prefer his turn as Colonel Douglas Mortimer).

Lee Van Cleef totally rocks. 

1 minute ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Yes! I think not having read the books recently has allowed me to enjoy the series also & absolutely nothing could be worse than the terrible movie. 

I can't believe how much I like Mrs. Coulter. I was disappointed at first because she wasn't what I expected looks wise but she is great. Lyra is growing on me & I love the Gyptians. 

Ruth Wilson is amazing! I love Dafne Keen (Lyra), and I adore James Cosmo, who played Jeor Mormont beautifully. And am totally in love w/ Iorek Byrnison, of course. 

Lyanna<3Rhaegar, thanks for the cocktail party thread. I’ve been away from the forum for awhile and it’s nice to jump in to a more social gathering, as opposed to a full on theory slugfest. I had to chuckle when I read your explanation though, because I always thought yours meant Lyanna is greater than three Rhaegar. I’m not very well versed in old school emojis.

My screen name is a combination of the crow and raven motif with a nod to my favorite father figure, Jeor Mormont and I guess a nod to my literary studies days, which were mostly concentrated in American novels and authors. I’m not really a huge horror fan, but I always appreciated Edgar Allen Poe. I also love how GRRM combines all the different elements of genre fiction and “high” literature into such a fantastic work. 

20 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

But I’m rather enjoying the TV show... 

I’m enjoying it, surely, but there is just so much exposition in the dialogue! I remember feeling somewhere between lost and found while reading the first book, and even though the narrator was third person objective nothing was handed over. I love Ruth Wilson as Mrs Coulter and Dafne Keen as Lyra, they are doing amazing jobs. Dafne Keen is so fierce!

I was rereading Lyra in Oxford in the first chapters of Northern Lights this very week, and it reminded so much of Arya’s chapters in Braavos... 

@Lyanna<3Rhaegar only it really should not have been Billy but Tony Makarios, and I felt so deeply for him and his dried fish. It was beautiful to witness Lyra’s empathy towards the boy, how appalled she was that some people felt inclined to laugh at him

“Poor little Tony Makarios was no different from any other human whose daemon had departed in death. Oh, if they took Pantalaimon from her! She swept him up and hugged him as if she meant to press him right into her heart. And all little Tony had was his pitiful piece of fish….  

Where was it?  She pulled the blanket down. It was gone.  

She was on her feet in a moment, and her eyes flashed fury at the men nearby.  

“Where’s his fish?”  They stopped, puzzled, unsure what she meant; though some of their daemons knew, and looked at one another. One of the men began to grin uncertainly.  

“Don’t you dare laugh! I’ll tear your lungs out if you laugh at him! That’s all he had to cling onto, just an old dried fish, that’s all he had for a daemon to love and be kind to! Who’s took it from him? 

Where’s it gone?”

Sorry. I totally have a crush on Lyra Silvertongue 

46 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I got it :) I really appreciate you trying to make yourself clear though 

about the ginger, what I do is I grate like a tablespoon worth of the rhizome and squeeze the pulp through a muslin cloth, so I get around one teaspoon of strong flavoured cloudy and fiery liquid. That one teaspoon does very well with 50ml of gin and 60ml of natural quinine tonic water, the juice of half a green lime and a lot of ice in a tall glass

1 minute ago, Nagini's Neville said:

he guy is called Darcy,

I know because of the movie with Colin Firth? But I’m Lady Dacey (first name) because of Dacey Mormont, as comfortable in mail as in a dress for a feats. 

"There's a carving on our gate," said Dacey. "A woman in a bearskin, with a child in one arm suckling at her breast. In the other hand she holds a battleaxe. She's no proper lady, that one, but I always loved her."

I love her too. I did breastfeed my son until he decided to stop by himself, when he was 3 years and 9 months old. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, I felt so very powerful, so fierce, like I could tackle the world.

The servers were bringing out huge silver platters piled high with cuts of juicy pink lamb, the most appetizing dish they'd seen all evening. And Robb was leading Dacey Mormont in a dance.

When she wore a dress in place of a hauberk, Lady Maege's eldest daughter was quite pretty; tall and willowy, with a shy smile that made her long face light up. It was pleasant to see that she could be as graceful on the dance floor as in the training yard. Catelyn wondered if Lady Maege had reached the Neck as yet. She had taken her other daughters with her, but as one of Robb's battle companions Dacey had chosen to remain by his side. He has Ned's gift for inspiring loyalty. Olyvar Frey had been devoted to her son as well. Hadn't Robb said that Olyvar wanted to remain with him even after he'd married Jeyne?

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Go on. 

Or not. I don’t wanna be blamed later. And I don’t know about your username, although I like to think it’s to do w/ Dacey Mormont, of the Awesome She-Bear Clan, but I fucking love your avi. :thumbsup:

Oh she is called Dacey! I haven't reread Cat's chapters for a while and the german audiobook guy always calls her Daisy. But Dacey is probably pronounced similarly. GRRM's names are really an absolute nightmare for dyslexic ppl. Still can't really write Dany's full name- whatever it is haha and I probably will never be able to get a real world Jaime and Arya right anymore and all the other names, where he thinks it's funny to just change up a couple of letters 

14 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Hugor is my favorite character. In the 90s there was this thing to teach kids to spell, or something, hooked on phonics. South Park made an episode where Cartman learns from Hooked on monkey phonics, my name is kind of an homage to that silly joke.

I changed my name to that from Third Eyes the Charm. Which was a play off of the phrase third times the charm. This was the third time I made an account here. (I had to create a 3rd account after this website changed its format. I believe I had a fake email attached to my previous screen name, or maybe i just forgot my password, mayne both)

My second account was Hugor Stone. My two favorite characters were exiled and forced to change their name to respectively Hugor and Stone. So my name was an homage to them and their current situation.

I dont think im allowed to talk about my first account lol, so Im gonna stop typing, around... now

While we are on the topic, care to share where your profile picture is from? 

54 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

I know because of the movie with Colin Firth? But I’m Lady Dacey (first name) because of Dacey Mormont, as comfortable in mail as in a dress for a feats. 

"There's a carving on our gate," said Dacey. "A woman in a bearskin, with a child in one arm suckling at her breast. In the other hand she holds a battleaxe. She's no proper lady, that one, but I always loved her."

I love her too. I did breastfeed my son until he decided to stop by himself, when he was 3 years and 9 months old. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life, I felt so very powerful, so fierce, like I could tackle the world.

The servers were bringing out huge silver platters piled high with cuts of juicy pink lamb, the most appetizing dish they'd seen all evening. And Robb was leading Dacey Mormont in a dance.

When she wore a dress in place of a hauberk, Lady Maege's eldest daughter was quite pretty; tall and willowy, with a shy smile that made her long face light up. It was pleasant to see that she could be as graceful on the dance floor as in the training yard. Catelyn wondered if Lady Maege had reached the Neck as yet. She had taken her other daughters with her, but as one of Robb's battle companions Dacey had chosen to remain by his side. He has Ned's gift for inspiring loyalty. Olyvar Frey had been devoted to her son as well. Hadn't Robb said that Olyvar wanted to remain with him even after he'd married Jeyne?

sorry, I read over you explanation! Ahh the Mormont Ladies!! *sigh* they are so great and so brave!! And they always remind me of how totally inadequate I am haha. I'd be really totally fucked in this world. I wouldn't want to be just sold to some stranger in marriage, but riding into battle doesn't sound that great either. Dacey is really an amazing character love her too. Her death kinda hit me harder than Robb's( especially during my first read, because I was really pissed at Robb back than), was looking forward to what was to come for her character.

Oh, I've heard stories how you suddenly feel like a super-herione as a mother (probably as a father too, maybe in a different way). That's so great! Sounds magical :) There definitely seems to be a strong connection between motherhood and being a warrior.  There is after all no one more dangerous than a protective mother (especially in the animal-kingdom)

Exactly the Colin Firth movie. I'm dyslexic so Darcy and Dacey look kinda the same to me *sigh*. And it doesn't help, that I haven't reread Cat's chapters in a bit and the Audiobook guy calls her Daisy - so that is the name I always pictured (probably Dacey is pronounced similarly anyway

13 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Interesting! I always thought it was something to do with Ygritte. How do you pronounce it?

Sorry, I missed your post!

I pronounce it as ihg+rain but it seems that native English speaker go for eeg+rain. From what I've seen, spelling variations differ quite a lot, from Ygrain(e)/Igrain(e) to Igern or Yghern. Back in the days when I was at the Morrowind Summit Forums, I actually met there a namesake with that last spelling, not realising she was me :D

8 hours ago, OtherFromAnotherMother said:

@Ygrain, your name is one which I have been curious about before. Thanks for the explanation!

What, you're not into royal genealogies?! :D

7 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

*sigh* DnD :D I need ppl who'll play that with me. Somehow I'm always the only nerd in my friend group. 

I've played, with some pauses and switches of parties, for.... OMFG, 26 years. The core of the current band... at least 15. Damn, I'm so ancient :wacko:

6 hours ago, Lady Dacey said:

I went for my most loved inconspicuous character of the series, the one I would like to be in real life (come on Dacey Mormont is comfortable both in mail and gowns, while I’m just absolutely never comfortable regardless of what I’m wearing). 

I was heartbroken seeing Dacey die, she was such a strong presence even within those short lines she was given. Glad someone appreciates her, too!

Archived