The Horror of Lightbringer?

Bobity.

Was doing some searching research on the Jade Compendium and this quote jumped out at me!

The Jade Compendium. The pages that told of Azor Ahai. Lightbringer was his sword. Tempered with his wife's blood if Votar can be believed. Thereafter Lightbringer was never cold to the touch, but warm as Nissa Nissa had been warm. In battle the blade burned fiery hot. Once Azor Ahai fought a monster. When he thrust the sword through the belly of the beast, its blood began to boil. Smoke and steam poured from its mouth, its eyes melted and dribbled down its cheeks, and its body burst into flame." A Dance with Dragons - Jon III

What happens to a creature stabbed by Lightbringer. 

• Blood began to boil
  • Smoke poured from mouth
  • Melting eyes
  • Body burst into flame.

I am re reading F&B and just got past Barth's grisly death account of Princess Aerea, the progression from boiling blood to smoking mouth to melting eyes is exactly how it went for the Princess!!

"I laid my hand upon her brow to learn how hot she was, it was as if I had thrust it in into a pot of boiling oil..thin tendrils of smoke issued from her mouth....her very eyes cooked within her skull and finally burst, like two eggs left in a pot of boiling water for too long" - F&B Pg 248

Only deviation from the description in the Jade Compendium is the Princess not bursting into flames, which could very well had been her fate if Barth and Benifer had not placed her into ice water. Feels wrong to make an association between a blow from Lightbringer and the horror inspired death Princess Aerea suffered, but here we are...

2 hours ago, Bobity. said:

Was doing some searching research on the Jade Compendium and this quote jumped out at me!

• Blood began to boil
  • Melting eyes
  • Body burst into flame.

I am re reading F&B and just got past Barth's grisly death account of Princess Aerea, the progression from boiling blood to smoking mouth to melting eyes is exactly how it went for the Princess!!

Only deviation from the description in the Jade Compendium is the Princess not bursting into flames, which could very well had been her fate if Barth and Benifer had not placed her into ice water. Feels wrong to make an association between a blow from Lightbringer and the horror inspired death Princess Aerea suffered, but here we are...

Nice catch.Must ponder.

But what about those weird fire creatures that wreathed under Aerea's skin? Those must have been the source of the heat in her. Lightbringer is known to be a source of heat, so could the connection be just that? Smoking blood, bursting into flames, melting eyes... George uses this imagery quite often.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:31 AM, Bobity. said:

• Blood began to boil
  • Melting eyes
  • Body burst into flame.

Are you proposing a correlation between the two?  I mean, the Valyrians were doing all kinds of nasty experiments.  Why not engineer a creature who can boil the insides out of people?  These creatures are biological warfare against the white walkers.  It is a dual edge bioweapon though.  The girl is all Targaryen and she was not immune.  

The passage is foreshadowing Jon executing Dany and her soul turning to fire and second lifing a dragon (Dany's sould and blood will give fire to the sword as it will the dragon). As was happening to her in her Wake the Dragon dream that also resembles the passage. There are similarities with Aerea because Aerea was skinchanging a dragon (or maybe a wurm) and coming back to her body, bringing part of the dragon blood back with her that causes the fire made flesh issues.

Archived