Football: Brendan has the last laugh

Iskaral Pust

Our last thread was shut down at exactly 400 posts.  It must have been an American sports fan who doesn’t understand injury time.

In the spirit of Brendan Rodgers, who else is having the delicious satisfaction of proving the nay-sayers wrong?  (Which feels even better than a massive portrait in your basement)

- Steve Bruce and Jonjo Shelvey?

- Mourinho and Alli, until Solskjær grabbed a piece of that action?

- Jordan Ayew?

Bring forth your maligned underdogs.

Rodgers and Leicester looks like the managerial cinderella story this season.

Newcastle and Bruce is looking like a good match afterall, but we are just approaching the healfway point of the season, so I'd reserve judgement on that.

As for other candidates I'd throw in Lampard at Chelski. He has thus far proven that a.) he can be succesful at that level and b.) that the Chelski youngsters are indeed good enough to play on a very good level.

Juve under Sarri are just as tedious to watch as Chelsea under Sarri only with a higher calibre squad - ponderous possession that goes nowhere relying on individuals to create moments of magic from nothing. It's starting to look like the swashbuckling football he achieved at Napoli was a fluke. Lazio played very well though. Conte might actually pull off the Scudetto for Inter even with a weaker squad. 

It'll be interesting if Leicester do win. I don't think at this point that Liverpool will drop points before then- they've got Watford and Villa, who are playing well but don't defend nearly well enough to win that game- but after Leicester they've got Wolves twice, Sheffield Utd, Spurs, us, and Everton in the FA cup, in the space of like 20 days. 

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Nice stat. In the last 11 seasons the team top on Christmas day has won the title. Except the 3 times Liverpool were top. They are guaranteed to be top again this year. Another choke job incoming? 

Nah.Just getting into our stride.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Nice stat. In the last 11 seasons the team top on Christmas day has won the title. Except the 3 times Liverpool were top. They are guaranteed to be top again this year. Another choke job incoming? 

Weren’t Arsenal top at Christmas the year Leicester won the league?

31 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Weren’t Arsenal top at Christmas the year Leicester won the league?

I just checked and it appears Leicester were top with 38 points after 17 games. Arsenal had 36. I think Arsenal were top on New Years day. 

Archived