Football: Brendan has the last laugh

Iskaral Pust

3 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

This game has been terrible. West Ham have been shit and Arsenal even more shit. 

I’d quibble only with the part about  who’s been shittier. 

44 minutes ago, Nas! said:

Because Haller’s been garbage.  

I get that people want more effort from him and shit but you've spent half the season with a ridiculously big gap between him and the players who would in theory be supporting him, you can't be a hold-up player if theres no-one to hold up to. And then when Antonio comes back instead of partnering them he just sticks Antonio up front? Don't get it.

57 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I get that people want more effort from him and shit but you've spent half the season with a ridiculously big gap between him and the players who would in theory be supporting him, you can't be a hold-up player if theres no-one to hold up to. And then when Antonio comes back instead of partnering them he just sticks Antonio up front? Don't get it.

I don’t think anyone gets it.  The first team is full of attacking players (bought by Pellegrini) and has little to offer in terms of toughness, commitment, defensive savvy, etc.  I think Pellegrini’s recent strategy is bound to fail because we don’t have enough quality grafters to make it work.  We all saw what happened today when Cresswell was replaced by Masuaku.

I think we’d be better off if Pelle went balls-to-the-wall attacking in hopes we’ll outscore our opposition often enough rather than this current strategy which seems doomed to fail (Chelsea result noted).  

14 of West Ham’s 22 first team players (let’s leave academy players out of the reckoning) have been brought in during Pellegrini’s 1 1/2 seasons in charge.  Amazingly, though, of the 7 healthy players who were in the team before Pellegrini arrived, 6 of them started the game today (many believe the Fredericks transfer had already been arranged before Pelle was hired, which would make it 7 of 8) with only Pablo Zabaleta NOT starting.  

Its crazy, really.  I say die by the sword, Manuel.  Play the players you spent soooo much money on, play the style of football you’ve (apparently) been building towards, and at least if you go down in flames you’ll have done it on your terms.  This, though, this is just sad to watch.   

7 hours ago, Raja said:

Martinelli is good.

The season is gone, so discovering good players is probably all that's left.

I really hope Aubameyang doesn't leave, though who could blame him given the team's lack of progress.

So the Moyes speculation seems to have died silently, thank God. I guess the issue there was Bill wanting him back, and journalists not able to resist the "back to the club where he had success"-storyline, but it made little sense a week ago and it hasn't improved since then. 

Now, it seems, Vitor Pereira is the leading candidate, according to the same journos. I'm not sure that's a wise appointment, and hold out hope for another miss and that something slightly better can be found. 

Would anyway be strange if Dunc isn't leading the team at Old Trafford, which, looking at how we played against Chelsea, could go either way. United are great on the counter, but I guess when we go to Old Trafford, we would be the ones lying deep and playing counter. Strange feeling, anyway, to look at the fixture and think "well, we might get something here".

2 hours ago, Jeor said:

The season is gone, so discovering good players is probably all that's left.

I really hope Aubameyang doesn't leave, though who could blame him given the team's lack of progress.

You're forgetting the Europa league! But I get your point.

It's a shame about Tierney, feel like he hasn't had the chance to get a run of games yet.

1 hour ago, Rorshach said:

Now, it seems, Vitor Pereira is the leading candidate, according to the same journos. I'm not sure that's a wise appointment, and hold out hope for another miss and that something slightly better can be found. 

His wages could be a stumbling block. Reportedly he's earning around €23m/year and his Chinese club are said to have offered him an improved contract in order to keep hold of him. 

39 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

His wages could be a stumbling block. Reportedly he's earning around €23m/year and his Chinese club are said to have offered him an improved contract in order to keep hold of him. 

Yes, that was mentioned in some of the comments. As I'm not sold on him as our saviour and solution, I wouldn't mind a stumbling block or two.

Just don't get me Moyes.

(Or Pulis, or Hughes, or Allardici - again..)

Archived