Football: Brendan has the last laugh

Iskaral Pust

Just to clear up from my last post, as I mix my "super-agents" (they sort under "useless scum, doing nothing of worth and getting paid around a billion more times than they are worth"), but Pereira's agent is Kia Joorabchian.

For that fact alone, he can stay the hell away.

11 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Perhaps, but have you got Salah's knack for showmanship? He'd set the goal up perfectly by missing a bunch of sitters earlier on: we were just amazed that he actually hit the target at all!

he is a tease.

11 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Ancelotti seems to have been sacked. So that's good news for Gunners. I doubt Everton has the squad to lure him. But Arsenal is still full of good players (specially up front).

Don't think Arsenal will go for him tbh and don't think he would be good for Arsenal either. He's still a big name who will attract speculation but his last two stints at Bayern and Napoli did not go well at all. I think he might have reached that stage of his career where the game has passed him by. 

@Rorschach - some bad news for you. Paul Joyce wrote an article in The Times saying that Moyes is back in the frame for the Everton job. It's behind a paywall but the gist of it is that Moshiri has taken charge of leading the clubs search for a new manager and has prepared an offer for Moyes after Pereira ruled himself out. Not yet clear whether the contract offer is for a permanent position or on an interim basis initially. 

26 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

@Rorschach - some bad news for you. Paul Joyce wrote an article in The Times saying that Moyes is back in the frame for the Everton job. It's behind a paywall but the gist of it is that Moshiri has taken charge of leading the clubs search for a new manager and has prepared an offer for Moyes after Pereira ruled himself out. Not yet clear whether the contract offer is for a permanent position or on an interim basis initially. 

Heard the rumour on Twitter..

If he did, that's a great way from Moshiri of saying "I like to throw away money". F*cking incompetent if true, and utterly useless leadership. One wonders how these people ever made money in the first place.

In all seriousness: the club struggles, the intensity is low, the supporters are angry and the solution is 

to bring back the manager regarded as to defensive, and after having seen him fail for six years in other venues????

Keeping Big Dunc on until a permanent manager is in place is higly risky. Bringing Moyes back is infinetely worse. 

14 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Moshiri shouldn't be making these decisions anyway. What's the point of appointing Brands as DoF if Moshiri and Kenwright are going to constantly interfere and get their way? It seems like Brands has been reduced to a glorified scout. 

Provided that newspaper reports are true, mind. 

But yeah, if they want to run around making panicked desicions, they shouldn't have hired a DoF.

And No1 pick means Arteta.

18 hours ago, Mme Erzulie said:

After Gomez came on, they didn't have a sniff. It's amazing how good we look defensively when Joe's on form. If he can stay fit, I predict we'll see the return of the stingiest defence in the PL. His ceiling is miles above both Matip's and Lovren's. 

He has a higher ceiling than Matip. On that I can agree, however I think miles above him is selling him short. Matip is a class cb in his own right. If he had not picked up this injury proneness in England. Afterall, there were quite a few games towards the end of last season, in which I rated Matip's performance higher than van Dijk's (CL final was one of those games) - note, I said, I rated him higher performance wise in those games, van Dijk is obviously the better overall player.

11 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Perhaps, but have you got Salah's knack for showmanship? He'd set the goal up perfectly by missing a bunch of sitters earlier on: we were just amazed that he actually hit the target at all!

Never mind that.What gave you done with Varys'sssssss nutsack?

Lo Celso is a wanker. Backed into Kimmich and then falls to the floor like he'd been sucker punched or something. Good thing the ref didn't fall for his shit and gave him a yellow for his shenanigans. 

ETA. The woodwork was Spurs best player in that half. Spurs lucky to be going in only 2-1 down. Bayern should be out of sight already. 

All 16 qualifying sides from the big 5 leagues for the first time which is rather sad.

Atalanta certainly rode their luck - I doubt many sides have got through with 7pts before. Shame that 90th minute collapse vs Shakhtar cost Dinamo Zagreb a place.

11 hours ago, Raja said:

@Mexal@Jeor

Man, this sucks

Ouch. And here I was thinking a dislocated shoulder might just be a couple of weeks.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And No1 pick means Arteta.

I'm unsure of Arteta. Although he has no doubt learned a lot in his 3-4 years as an assistant at Man City under Guardiola, he's never held the top job before. I guess he would join the likes of Lampard and Solskjaer, both of which have not been roaring successes, but eminently cheaper than people like Ancelotti who might not even be a sure thing results-wise anymore.

6 hours ago, Jeor said:

I'm unsure of Arteta. Although he has no doubt learned a lot in his 3-4 years as an assistant at Man City under Guardiola, he's never held the top job before. I guess he would join the likes of Lampard and Solskjaer, both of which have not been roaring successes, but eminently cheaper than people like Ancelotti who might not even be a sure thing results-wise anymore.

Lampard is doing a pretty sound job at Chelski (he is in the middle of a race for a top four finish, he got out of the CL group stage in a very difficult group, so not sure what else was he supposed to achieve thus far). Solskjaer and United is another story. I don't think he is the fix to United's problems, but he is also not the cause of it. The squad and club structure was a big mess he inherited, and he arguably made it worse this transfer window (squad wise), the club structure is another story, which is a bit outside his control.

Whether the situation at Arsenal has a stronger resemblence with the situation at United or Chelski is obvious open for interpretation. I think it looks more like United on a superficial level at least.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Lampard is doing a pretty sound job at Chelski (he is in the middle of a race for a top four finish, he got out of the CL group stage in a very difficult group, so not sure what else was he supposed to achieve thus far). Solskjaer and United is another story. I don't think he is the fix to United's problems, but he is also not the cause of it. The squad and club structure was a big mess he inherited, and he arguably made it worse this transfer window (squad wise), the club structure is another story, which is a bit outside his control.

Whether the situation at Arsenal has a stronger resemblence with the situation at United or Chelski is obvious open for interpretation. I think it looks more like United on a superficial level at least.

Fair enough on Lampard. Chelsea have low expectations because of the transfer business and they know they're going with a young team and a genuine rebuild project (not a "rebuild project" where an experienced manager just buys up heaps of proven performers). In that context, he's actually done pretty well.

However, I think the Arsenal situation is much more liked United. The new manager won't have the luxury of time and low expectations and they will be supposed to be chasing cups and at least Top 4 finishes in their first year. I just hope we don't go full-bore United and go through a number of managers in quick succession, because as we see at United that really wreaks havoc with the squad.

Archived