Football: Brendan has the last laugh

Iskaral Pust

38 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Arsenal are sadly the next club to bottle it when it comes to China.

If Özil only had the same strong opinion on the treatment of the Kurds by Turkey... is probably what a more cynical person would write at this point.

I don’t know the background but ‘East Turkistan’ sounds like a bit of a loaded term so I’m not entirely surprised Arsenal wouldn’t come out and unreservedly back Ozil. Still, their statement is a particularly mealy mouthed refusal to make any sort of comment on what is clearly a terrible situation.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I don’t know the background but ‘East Turkistan’ sounds like a bit of a loaded term so I’m not entirely surprised Arsenal wouldn’t come out and unreservedly back Ozil. Still, their statement is a particularly mealy mouthed refusal to make any sort of comment on what is clearly a terrible situation.

'East Turkestan' is a loaded term in the sense that it's a western term that the Chinese are opposed to being used as it encourages it being thought of as an independent region, but it's got nothing to do with actual Turkey if that's what you're thinking. It's just coz the Uyghurs are a Turkic people (ie both the nation and the region are named after a broader ethnic background rather than one taking the name from the other or anything).

I’m not surprised this was a tough game: Watford with a new manager bounce, an early Saturday game after an intense midweek for us, and lots of rotated positions and tired legs generally.  I’m just glad we won.

I definitely think we need the back-ups to play in the CWC and use it as a break for tired legs.  Once we get to January 5th — which is four more PL games between 12/26 to 1/5 after the CWC — then the schedule eases back to just one game a week for a few weeks. 

Firmino, TAA and Robertson all look like they need a rest, and Hendo has to be kept away from any possible injury now Gini is out injured too along with Fabinho, Matip and Lovren.  We have attacking MF options but our defensive MF and emergency cover for CB is now down to just Hendo.

Has Lampard's new manager bounce come to an end? I really hope so.

Was watching Real Sociedad vs Barca. Ended 2-2 but that was a high quality game. Some great technical skills on display. Odegaard has been pure class this season. Real Madrid's midfield for next season could be in great shape with Odegaard coming back. Freddy Valverde has been a revelation for them this season as well and reliable journos have been saying that van de Beek is a done deal as well. Not sure Real Madrid actually need Pogba - he'd very much be a luxury signing for them. A good backup for Casemiro should be much higher priority imo. 

16 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Bad news for Liverpool, as Leicester's draw makes the eventual collapse and Leicester's title win all the more embarassing.

You are clutching for straw there. They won big during the Thatcher years, they'll win big during the Johnson years. Better make your peace with it.

:leaving:

Spoiler

correlation is obviously not causation.

27 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Bad news for Liverpool, as Leicester's draw makes the eventual collapse and Leicester's title win all the more embarassing.

You can't help yourself can you?

Archived