Jump to content
Iskaral Pust

Football: Brendan has the last laugh

Recommended Posts

Happy for Atalanta. They are fun to watch. Zero points after 3 games, bottom of the group at the start of the day and they finish as runners up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Soylent Brown said:

Perhaps, but have you got Salah's knack for showmanship? He'd set the goal up perfectly by missing a bunch of sitters earlier on: we were just amazed that he actually hit the target at all!

Never mind that.What gave you done with Varys'sssssss nutsack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lo Celso is a wanker. Backed into Kimmich and then falls to the floor like he'd been sucker punched or something. Good thing the ref didn't fall for his shit and gave him a yellow for his shenanigans. 

 

ETA. The woodwork was Spurs best player in that half. Spurs lucky to be going in only 2-1 down. Bayern should be out of sight already. 

Edited by Consigliere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All 16 qualifying sides from the big 5 leagues for the first time which is rather sad.

Atalanta certainly rode their luck - I doubt many sides have got through with 7pts before. Shame that 90th minute collapse vs Shakhtar cost Dinamo Zagreb a place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Raja said:

@Mexal@Jeor

Man, this sucks

 

Ouch. And here I was thinking a dislocated shoulder might just be a couple of weeks.

5 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And No1 pick means Arteta.

I'm unsure of Arteta. Although he has no doubt learned a lot in his 3-4 years as an assistant at Man City under Guardiola, he's never held the top job before. I guess he would join the likes of Lampard and Solskjaer, both of which have not been roaring successes, but eminently cheaper than people like Ancelotti who might not even be a sure thing results-wise anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jeor said:

I'm unsure of Arteta. Although he has no doubt learned a lot in his 3-4 years as an assistant at Man City under Guardiola, he's never held the top job before. I guess he would join the likes of Lampard and Solskjaer, both of which have not been roaring successes, but eminently cheaper than people like Ancelotti who might not even be a sure thing results-wise anymore.

Lampard is doing a pretty sound job at Chelski (he is in the middle of a race for a top four finish, he got out of the CL group stage in a very difficult group, so not sure what else was he supposed to achieve thus far). Solskjaer and United is another story. I don't think he is the fix to United's problems, but he is also not the cause of it. The squad and club structure was a big mess he inherited, and he arguably made it worse this transfer window (squad wise), the club structure is another story, which is a bit outside his control.

Whether the situation at Arsenal has a stronger resemblence with the situation at United or Chelski is obvious open for interpretation. I think it looks more like United on a superficial level at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Lampard is doing a pretty sound job at Chelski (he is in the middle of a race for a top four finish, he got out of the CL group stage in a very difficult group, so not sure what else was he supposed to achieve thus far). Solskjaer and United is another story. I don't think he is the fix to United's problems, but he is also not the cause of it. The squad and club structure was a big mess he inherited, and he arguably made it worse this transfer window (squad wise), the club structure is another story, which is a bit outside his control.

Whether the situation at Arsenal has a stronger resemblence with the situation at United or Chelski is obvious open for interpretation. I think it looks more like United on a superficial level at least.

Fair enough on Lampard. Chelsea have low expectations because of the transfer business and they know they're going with a young team and a genuine rebuild project (not a "rebuild project" where an experienced manager just buys up heaps of proven performers). In that context, he's actually done pretty well.

However, I think the Arsenal situation is much more liked United. The new manager won't have the luxury of time and low expectations and they will be supposed to be chasing cups and at least Top 4 finishes in their first year. I just hope we don't go full-bore United and go through a number of managers in quick succession, because as we see at United that really wreaks havoc with the squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

 

It seems absolutely unfair that we can sign a player like this for only 7.25m.  He looked very good in both games against us — I think Michael Edwards has unlocked some FM cheat codes. And it would be great to have a higher quality back-up to our front three.

I know you have to be wary of buying players just because they looked great when playing against you, but this guy seems to have been a key part of Salzburg’s success.  And just like Ajax last year, it is a pity to see Salzburg losing their players already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's how Salzburg operate though. They'll find others to replace him, and sell them on too a few years later.

Really all we're doing here is cutting out the middle man - it's Southampton you should be feeling sorry for!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melissa Reddy confirming the Minamino transfer too :)

 

 

Quote

For all the understandable headlines and hype around Erling Haaland, Minamino is considered the standout star at Salzburg.

Liverpool have fended off competition from Manchester United to agree a January deal in principle with Red Bull Salzburg for Takumi Minamino, who has a paltry release clause of just £7.25million.

Christoph Freund, sporting director of the Austrian champions, told The Independent this week that the 24-year-old is ready to accelerate his development at one of Europe’s elite clubs after five years of service. 

Liverpool’s excellent off-field relationship with Salzburg - their new £50million training base was inspired by their Champions League group opponents - has helped them push past a queue of interest in Minamino, which includes United and several Bundesliga sides.

Described as modest, warm and engaging, he initially was homesick in Austria, but it never showed in his performances. He would often treat his translator, Yuki, to days out in Munich so they could sample the Japanese cuisine there.

Minamino is extremely popular with the dressing room and staff at Salzburg for his excellence on the pitch and his humility off it. In almost 200 appearances for the club, he has produced 64 goals and 44 assists, with 18 of those contributions coming in Europe.

Minamino is able to operate as a playmaker, as a progressive No 8, off either flank or as the focal point of the attack. To add to his versatility, he possesses an incredible engine and has hardly suffered injury in his career. His lengthiest sideline spell was an absence of 10 games in 2017 due to an intra-articular ligament issue. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

It seems absolutely unfair that we can sign a player like this for only 7.25m.  He looked very good in both games against us — I think Michael Edwards has unlocked some FM cheat codes. And it would be great to have a higher quality back-up to our front three.

It does seem like a great deal for Liverpool. He looked good in both the games against us, I haven't watched a huge amount of Austrian football so I don't really have much of an opinion of his actual quality but there's clearly at least some potential there to be a decent player. At £7.25 million in the current market even if he doesn't turn out to be good enough to play for Liverpool so long as he's a mid table in the Premier League level forward we should make a profit.

It is a bit of a shame if both him and Haaland are leaving in January though. Ok selling players on is Salzburg's model but they could have had a decent run in the Europa League with their current side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very weird game. Good to see Greenwood hitting the net. His first goal was a bit dubious though, as I thought Garner's effort was closer to the foul than to the regular ball-winning challenge.

Hopefully we won't see Mata & Matic starting together very often this season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Minamino coming in probably means no contract extension for Lallana and Milner for next season. With Milner replacement being a fullback hopefully!

I think Milner will want to go to Leeds to finish off his career if they get promoted anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×