Crisis on Infinite Earths (CW Arrowverse massive crossover)

Corvinus85

So this started last night, part 1 of 5. Whomever is still watching these shows, feel free to express your thoughts. 

This will be the last thing I watch from this TV universe, along with the final episodes of Arrow. I commend CW for bringing so many comic-book characters to life, but ultimately these shows are just bad, and while they're low budget and quite literally free to watch, I would appreciate a little less of the lazy writing that constantly plague them.

On Oliver Queen's fate

Spoiler

That better not be the end. Even if he ultimately dies, and his daughter becomes the new GA, that was a bit of a shitty ending.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

So this started last night, part 1 of 5. Whomever is still watching these shows, feel free to express your thoughts. 

This will be the last thing I watch from this TV universe, along with the final episodes of Arrow. I commend CW for bringing so many comic-book characters to life, but ultimately these shows are just bad, and while they're low budget and quite literally free to watch, I would appreciate a little less of the lazy writing that constantly plague them.

On Oliver Queen's fate

Reveal hidden contents

That better not be the end. Even if he ultimately dies, and his daughter becomes the new GA, that was a bit of a shitty ending.

It was ridiculous for him to fight an army by himself. What was he supposed to accomplish? 

Either superman, spergirl or flash would make much more sense. 

In regards to the Ep itself. I would say it was by far the worst ep of the crossovers so far. The side story of going to get Clark's son was a waste of time and the rest was meh...

16 minutes ago, divica said:

It was ridiculous for him to fight an army by himself. What was he supposed to accomplish? 

Either superman, spergirl or flash would make much more sense. 

In regards to the Ep itself. I would say it was by far the worst ep of the crossovers so far. The side story of going to get Clark's son was a waste of time and the rest was meh...

That's the lazy writing I'm talking about

Spoiler

The Monitor shows up and proceeds to remove the heroes one by one, leaving Oliver last, instead of just removing them all at once. And then he has the nerve to say it wasn't supposed to go down that way. :lol:

It's really become painful to watch these. Arrow is only its last leg, so I'm still watching, and still watching Supergirl because it occasionally has good themes, but I'm done after this.

2 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

That's the lazy writing I'm talking about

Hide contents

The Monitor shows up and proceeds to remove the heroes one by one, leaving Oliver last, instead of just removing them all at once. And then he has the nerve to say it wasn't supposed to go down that way. :lol:

It's really become painful to watch these. Arrow is only its last leg, so I'm still watching, and still watching Supergirl because it occasionally has good themes, but I'm done after this.

I think they should end all these series this year. 

Arrow started great and gradually became a cw crap show... 

The other shows never got the atention that the first seasons of arrow had... And after crisis where are the stories supposed to go? How do they top that? 

Besides the fact that flash is becoming too repetitive... 

I also have no idea why they end a green arrow series so that they start another green arrow series... 

I've been enjoying Batwoman well enough (we'll see how long that lasts, probably a season and a half until it becomes repetitive) so I caught the first ep of the crisis crossover, and wow. Just cringeworthy all around. I've abandoned every DCTV show after a season or three and nothing there indicated that I've been missing out

The shows are all just as terrible as ever, but there's a certain charm to these event crossovers. For example, Crisis is certainly not well-written by any stretch of the imagination, but the spectacle is so damn fun. It reminds me of the ridiculous tales I'd play out with my action figures when I was a kid. For that reason, I am enjoying this crossover.

Seeing Routh as Superman has been the unexpected bright spot for me. I had no idea that I wanted to see him play the role again.

Is this the resident Arrowverse complaining thread? Fine with me.

So... yeah, I must admit, I haven't been following any of these shows for ages, but the almighty Youtube algorithm has decided to bombard me with Crisis on Infinite Earths scenes. So here I am...

Basically I started watching Arrow back when it aired, was very annoyed from the first moment of the obvious attempt to have a Batman show with neither Batman nor money, forcing Green Arrow to be this brooding loner. The island flashbacks kept me interested for some time, but the meandering main 'plot' soon caused me to stop watching once I started missing episodes. Several years later I found myself switching into the middle of one episode and just watching these people in silly latex costumes sprouting empty phrases while staring into the middle distance at night... it was so stupid I was dying of shame. I never went back.

Some time later I thought to give Supergirl a try. I made it till half-way through the second season before deciding to just watch the crossover episodes and then not even those anymore. The hamfisted corporate pseudofeminism aside, the writing was just atrocious. Basically a run-of-the-mill soap opera with no point to anything except the designated fist fight each episode. I was basically just enduring for as long as I did because of the cast. Especially Melissa Bennoist oozes fun. Honestly, if the whole show was just Kara and Barry sitting on a couch eating ice-cream and watching movies, I'd watch that! But alas, everything is instead about utterly meaningless relationship worries. Also Superman getting walked over each episode he appears in really got on my nerves. Which is a damned shame because the actor does a fantastic job portraying his Clark as this super supportive ball of positivity. Which makes Karas constant off-handed put-downs about him being a nerd unintentionally mean-spirited. It's as if the showrunners have no idea how to portray Kara as awesome without putting someone else down...

... which, come to think of it, is a big problem of all these crossover stories. They are rarely really about characters working together as a team, but single scenes instead often highlight one character being in the center to the detriment of everybody else. Which in turn makes all these crossovers really frustrating to watch.

So... yes, it's admirable that they are bringing all these cameos together, but what I have seen barely fazes me. How the hell did they manage to make a Kevin Conroy Batman boring?

• 5 weeks later...

This was fun... a shit-ton of easter eggs, and probably more that I missed... The CW shows aren't really well done if you compare them to say, HBO or even a commercial cable network like FX... but they manage to tap into something that makes them fun to watch.... silly, but fun. 

My favorite cameo was

Spoiler

Ezra Miller's Barry Allen... 

.... totally wasn't expecting that... it was pretty cool

I'm an unabashed fan of the Arrowverse, warts and all, and I thought they stuck the landing with Crisis. It wasn't perfect, it wasn't HBO, it wasn't anything like that.  But these shoes aren't meant to be.  They're based on comic books and they're telling comic book stories.  And yes, there are better comic book stories out there amongst the movies, but this stuff works on the level it's meant to work on.

Crisis wasn't perfect.  There were moments I scratched my head.  But in the long run, it worked.  Now, how it plays with the shows it connected and reset the world of?  That's going to be what tells.

I thought it was fantastic that they actually hid the Flash came (can we dispense with spoilers this many days removed and based on the fact that this thread fell to about page 3, so people don't seem to care?).  The stuff they did with Kevin Conroy and Batman was well done.  Jon Cryer is just about the best Lex Luthor there is right now.  

It isn't perfect, but I'll take all of the Arrowverse over pretty much everything DCEU (excepting Wonder Woman)...

• 2 weeks later...

Well Arrow is done. I'm actually glad I stuck with it, because despite its loads of bad writing, it still had heart and likeable characters.

Interesting setup with Diggle, which I saw coming, but I'm done with all the CW shows. 

Yeah I only went back and finished season 7 of arrow when I found out season 8 was the last. Gave up on flash and legends a while ago and never started with Supergirl just watched the crossover episodes of each one.

Crisis was quite good I found it entertaining and that's about all I could ask for. Now to watch the last episode of arrow.

That's from a Legends of Tomorrow season finale. That show embraced a campy off the wall ridiculous tone. It works if you've watched what led up to it, but if the tone isn't for you then you'd hate it.

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

That's from a Legends of Tomorrow season finale. That show embraced a campy off the wall ridiculous tone. It works if you've watched what led up to it, but if the tone isn't for you then you'd hate it.

I love the fact that they've learned into the misfit nature of their show.  Oh it isn't perfect.  But the general banter and carefree nature of things has set them free and Legends is a vastly improved show from the serious nature of its first season.

I loved the back and forth in the first post Crisis episode where Nate keeps commenting on not being invited to the crossover...

Ha, this was that episode where I decided to finally bail on Legends. But it wasn't the giant Beebo, which was hilarious, and had predicted it would show up. It was how they treated a number of the characters in the closing arc of the season. The clip above showcases some of this, with the rest of the characters reduced to the role of cheerleaders because they couldn't think of anything else to do with them.

11 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I loved the back and forth in the first post Crisis episode where Nate keeps commenting on not being invited to the crossover...

Yeah it was pretty great. Perfect time to roll with the documentary episode right after the cross over. Also loved Bobo Del Ray as Rasputin

Archived