Awards Season 2020 - Movies Edition: Once Upon a Time... (SAG Nominations)

Mladen

23 hours ago, Zorral said:

Damn right!  And she was, in her own words, the others' "Mama Bear."

They did a 20 year side by side of her wearing the infamous green dress and a replica and she looked damn near identical today. 

• 4 weeks later...

Two actors have now won an Oscar for playing the Joker. Just thought that was interesting and worth a mention. And further proof that Jared Leto's grills were truly and utterly unnecessary.

Full List of Winners (I hope):

*winners in red (sorry to the colour blind), at the top of each list. Also, it says winner...

Best picture
Winner: Parasite
Ford v Ferrari
The Irishman
Jojo Rabbit
Joker
Little Women
Marriage Story
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood

Best actress
Winner: Renee Zellweger - Judy
Cynthia Erivo - Harriet
Scarlett Johansson - Marriage Story
Saoirse Ronan - Little Women
Charlize Theron - Bombshell

Best actor
Winner: Joaquin Phoenix - Joker
Antonio Banderas - Pain and Glory
Leonardo DiCaprio - Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
Adam Driver - Marriage Story
Jonathan Pryce - The Two Popes

Best supporting actress
Winner: Laura Dern - Marriage Story
Kathy Bates - Richard Jewell
Scarlett Johansson - Jojo Rabbit
Florence Pugh - Little Women
Margot Robbie - Bombshell

Best supporting actor
Winner: Brad Pitt - Once Upon A Time in Hollywood
Tom Hanks - A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Sir Anthony Hopkins - The Two Popes
Al Pacino - The Irishman
Joe Pesci - The Irishman

Best director
Winner: Parasite - Bong Joon-ho

The Irishman - Martin Scorsese
Joker - Todd Phillips
1917 - Sam Mendes
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino

Best original screenplay
Winner: Parasite - Bong Joon-ho & Han Jin Won

Knives Out - Rian Johnson
Marriage Story - Noah Baumbach
1917 - Sam Mendes & Krysty Wilson-Cairns
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Quentin Tarantino

Best adapted screenplay
Winner: Jojo Rabbit - Taika Waititi

The Irishman - Steven Zaillian
Joker - Todd Phillips & Scott Silver
Little Women - Greta Gerwig
The Two Popes - Anthony McCarten

Best animated feature
Winner: Toy Story 4

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
I Lost My Body
Klaus
Missing Link

Best documentary feature
Winner: American Factory

The Cave
The Edge of Democracy
For Sama
Honeyland

Best international feature
Winner: Parasite - South Korea

Corpus Christi - Poland
Honeyland - North Macedonia
Les Miserables - France
Pain and Glory - Spain

Best original song
Winner: (I'm Gonna) Love Me Again - Rocketman (Elton John & Bernie Taupin)

I Can't Let You Throw Yourself Away - Toy Story 4 (Randy Newman)
I'm Standing With You - Breakthrough (Diane Warren)
Into the Unknown - Frozen 2 (Kristen Anderson-Lopez & Robert Lopez)
Stand Up - Harriet (Joshuah Brian Campbell & Cynthia Erivo)

Best original score
Winner: Joker - Hildur Guðnadóttir

Little Women - Alexandre Desplat
Marriage Story - Randy Newman
1917 - Thomas Newman
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - John Williams

Best cinematography
Winner: 1917 - Roger Deakins

The Irishman - Rodrigo Prieto
Joker - Lawrence Sher
The Lighthouse - Jarin Blaschke
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Robert Richardson

Best visual effects
Winner: 1917 - Guillaume Rocheron, Greg Butler & Dominic Tuohy

Avengers: Endgame - Dan DeLeeuw, Russell Earl, Matt Aitken & Dan Sudick
The Irishman - Pablo Helman, Leandro Estebecorena, Nelson Sepulveda-Fauser & Stephane Grabli
The Lion King - Robert Legato, Adam Valdez, Andrew R Jones & Elliot Newman
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Roger Guyett, Neal Scanlan, Patrick Tubach & Dominic Tuohy

Best film editing
Winner: Ford v Ferrari - Michael McCusker & Andrew Buckland

The Irishman - Thelma Schoonmaker
Jojo Rabbit - Tom Eagles
Joker - Jeff Groth
Parasite - Yang Jinmo

Best costume design
Winner: Little Women - Jacqueline Durran

The Irishman - Sandy Powell & Christopher Peterson
Jojo Rabbit - Mayes C Rubeo
Joker - Mark Bridges
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Arianne Phillips

Best sound editing
Winner: Ford v Ferrari - Donald Sylvester

Joker - Alan Robert Murray
1917 - Oliver Tarney & Rachael Tate
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Wylie Stateman
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Matthew Wood & David Acord

Best sound mixing
Winner: 1917 - Mark Taylor & Stuart Wilson

Ad Astra - Gary Rydstrom, Tom Johnson & Mark Ulano
Ford v Ferrari - Paul Massey, David Giammarco & Steven A Morrow
Joker - Tom Ozanich, Dean Zupancic & Tod Maitland
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Michael Minkler, Christian P Minkler & Mark Ulano

Best production design
Winner: Once Upon A Time in Hollywood - Barbara Ling & Nancy Haigh

The Irishman - Bob Shaw & Regina Graves
Jojo Rabbit - Ra Vincent & Nora Sopková
1917 - Dennis Gassner & Lee Sandales
Parasite - Lee Ha Jun & Cho Won Woo

Best make-up and hairstyling
Winner: Bombshell - Kazu Hiro, Anne Morgan & Vivian Baker

Joker - Nicki Ledermann & Kay Georgiou
Judy - Jeremy Woodhead
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil - Paul Gooch, Arjen Tuiten & David White
1917 - Naomi Donne, Tristan Versluis & Rebecca Cole

Best live action short
Winner: The Neighbors' Window

Brotherhood
Nefta Football Club
Saria
A Sister

Best animated short
Hair Love

Dcera (Daughter)
Kitbull
Memorable
Sister

Best documentary short
Winner: Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)

In the Absence
Life Overtakes Me
St Louis Superman
Walk Run Cha-Cha

Just some things to digest:

• Parasite received the most awards. Some pretty big ones too. (Though I still maintain they were robbed acting nominations but that's another thread altogether).
  • 1917, which I personally thought was surely Parasite's biggest competition, got 2 of its 3 wins in technical categories. (Assuming cinematography as "one of the big ones" and usually an indicator of who might get best picture).
  • Again, I could be the only one to think so, but it's pretty cool that 2 actors have now gotten wins for playing a comic book villain. Even more interesting that it's the same villain.

8 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Just some things to digest:

• Parasite received the most awards. Some pretty big ones too. (Though I still maintain they were robbed acting nominations but that's another thread altogether).

Kang-ho Song is the only actor who merited one, IMO. Everyone else was good but not award-level this year.

•  
  • Again, I could be the only one to think so, but it's pretty cool that 2 actors have now gotten wins for playing a comic book villain. Even more interesting that it's the same villain.

And two Oscar winners have played the same role, but did not win Oscars (or even get nominated) for said role. Someone elsewhere pointed out that it seems to be: Oscar Winner plays Joker, no Oscar -> Joker actor wins Oscar -> Oscar Winner plays Joker, no Oscar -> Joker actor wins Oscar. 

6 hours ago, Ran said:

Kang-ho Song is the only actor who merited one, IMO. Everyone else was good but not award-level this year.

And two Oscar winners have played the same role, but did not win Oscars (or even get nominated) for said role. Someone elsewhere pointed out that it seems to be: Oscar Winner plays Joker, no Oscar -> Joker actor wins Oscar -> Oscar Winner plays Joker, no Oscar -> Joker actor wins Oscar. 

I suppose that's fair, about the cast and all. I guess I was also appreciating just how well the Parasite cast worked as a whole. The SAG ensemble cast win was really earned in my opinion. I really appreciate the cohesion; and in my opinion that's so rare with a lot of American movies. There are a lot imbalanced performances from really good movies. Like, one person will really shine, or two people...but everyone else will kind of just be okay. But Parasite really worked for me because the cast just fed off each other so well.

2 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

I suppose that's fair, about the cast and all. I guess I was also appreciating just how well the Parasite cast worked as a whole. The SAG ensemble cast win was really earned in my opinion. I really appreciate the cohesion; and in my opinion that's so rare with a lot of American movies. There are a lot imbalanced performances from really good movies. Like, one person will really shine, or two people...but everyone else will kind of just be okay. But Parasite really worked for me because the cast just fed off each other so well.

Oh, yes, as an ensemble I've no problem with their win, but as you say, it's a SAG award and the Oscars don't have an equivalent. Kang-ho was definitely good enough to be up there in the male or supporting male category, IMO.

Great.  Now i'm obligated to check out Parasite.  Because that's how things work.   It wins best picture and then it's not long until HR calls you in to ask if you've seen it yet.  Fine.  I'll probably like it too.  I wonder, though, how much of this guy's success in the states hinges on the Bong in his name.   Like, if his name was just Joon, and neither Bong nor Ho, would he have gotten over with audiences to the same extent?   Because in the space of 1 second, you're hit with both bong and ho in quick succession, and you can't help but be positively disposed toward that individual.  It's subliminal.   It's like his name is reaching out to speak our language in a way his movie didn't.   And that makes academy members say, "I think I like this guy!  Now, let's see if I can vote for Parasite.  Hope so!"

And Brad, after earning lots of good will back after his wife's breakup allegations were sorted out, chose to weigh in with, ~ "you know, it's not just my ex who can say annoying things and make you change the channel.  It's my turn!"  Okay, but if his speech really wanted to honor hollywood's past ala his movie, he'd have said some John Wayne conservative leaning mumbo jumbo, shocking everyone senseless and or getting the biggest laughs of the night.

What if they added an award for best speech of the night, voted on at the end from everyone's seats, and that person got called up on stage again, but was not allowed to speak, no microphone, and the audience wasn't allowed to cheer, just silence as the winner pantomimed their joy and the show went off the air playing the winner for best song.  Mime.  The forgotten roots of the Oscar, rediscovered.  Showcased.  Brought back to the forefront.   Like a love eternal.

I am overall fairly pleased with the winners out of those who had been nominated (phrasing it like that because there were glaring omissions in the nominations but hey ho). Personal highlights for me were the wins for Parasite, because i thought it was such a fantastic film, and Laura Dern, because i thought she really deserved the award for this performance, but also has an awards worthy body of work too. Both of these surprised me too, Parasite moreso than Laura, because i truly didn’t expect them to win.

Ricky Gervais is one of the most irritating up himself twats in british comedy  as far as i’m concerned and i cannot fathom his popularity. 

26 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Ricky Gervais is one of the most irritating up himself twats in british comedy  as far as i’m concerned and i cannot fathom his popularity. 

I’ve always been a big fan. The Office, Extras, Life’s Too Short...he just cracks me up. Him and Stephen Merchant, both. 

I also appreciate seeing a fellow atheist speak his mind on religion. Other than maybe Bill Maher, I cant think of many celebrities that do. 

So...I'm coming back to the whole casting nominations issue. Someone else just pointed out that the last movie to win Best Picture without having a single acting nomination was Slumdog Millionaire. Listen, I'm not trying to start trouble or anything, and the sample size is really rather small, but this is a little bit suspect. No? Does the predominantly white (I assume, as I do with all powerful bodies) voting board simply not find non-white people/characters relatable/emotive...? I don't have the words for it, and I certainly don't have the technical know-how of filmmaking, but something certainly feels "not quite okay," even though I don't know how to express it. As someone who enjoys cinema, my opinion is that something is wrong here.

Also because there was a debate about the sort of black characters that get acting nominations. Usually, they're freedom fighter types, or slaves. I mean, the sole POC to get an acting nomination this year was Cynthia Erivo for Harriet...like, something is making me uncomfortable for sure. Very uncomfortable.

Archived