Events for the last two books

Lady Rhodes

No matter how the books and show end up comparing, there are some things that are not disputable;

1)Daenerys invasion

2)Battle with the Others

3)Who ends up in the Iron Throne, if anyone?

So what do you think is going to happen when? I am wondering if Danny’s invasion may start in Winds.

Winds should probably end with Dany sailing to Westeros. I think she needs an entire novel in Westeros if she's going to realistically play out her further character development (I'm looking at you, Season 8). 

There's going to be another Battle at the Wall after Jon's death. The wildlings are not going to just calmly sit by as the only person in a position of authority there that supported them is betrayed and killed. Heads will roll and the ensuing panic might cause Selyse to go through with burning Shireen to hopefully speed up Stannis' most likely ill-fated march on Winterfell. Shireen will definitely be burned.

Riverrun will be retaken with the help of the Brotherhood Without Banners (and Jaime?) and the Freys there will be slaughtered, including Genna Lannister. I don't know if it'll be during Daven's wedding (Red Wedding 2.0) or some other form of subterfuge, but it's definitely going to happen as well.

There will be an event or events in King's Landing that involves Cersei killing the High Sparrow and some of her other remaining enemies. I don't think what happened in the show will happen in the books (although it would still be awesome), but either way, the Faith Militant will be no more by the time Winds is finished.

The Boltons' rule will end and Winterfell will be retaken in Winds. The Boltons don't have much time left as villains in my opinion, plus if George really wants to complete the series in two books, they need to go.

The prisoners from the Red Wedding will either be killed during an escape attempt, or successfully escape, meaning that the Northern and Riverlands' lords can more safely rebel against the Boltons and Freys. 

Speaking of the Freys, their House will essentially fall in Winds. The main bulk that will survive will probably be most of the children and those residing at Rosby. Almost every Frey involved in the Red Wedding won't make it out of Winds in my opinion.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:57 AM, Lady Rhodes said:

No matter how the books and show end up comparing, there are some things that are not disputable;

1)Daenerys invasion

2)Battle with the Others

So what do you think is going to happen when? I am wondering if Danny’s invasion may start in Winds.

ad 1) Daenerys should arrive in Westeros some time. If she needs to invade the country, or if she is welcome, e.g. by Aegon or someone else, or if she only comes to fight the threat from North of the Wall - that we shall see. AlienCarnivore is probably right, that it may take a whole book (i.e. TWOW) for Daenerys to quit Essos. In that case that will leave few pages only left (in ADOS) for her interaction with Westerosi people, which is a shame.

8 hours ago, Greywater-Watch said:

ad 1) Daenerys should arrive in Westeros some time. If she needs to invade the country, or if she is welcome, e.g. by Aegon or someone else, or if she only comes to fight the threat from North of the Wall - that we shall see. AlienCarnivore is probably right, that it may take a whole book (i.e. TWOW) for Daenerys to quit Essos. In that case that will leave few pages only left (in ADOS) for her interaction with Westerosi people, which is a shame.

I am of the same opinion for the both of you. I want her arrival in Westeros to be in winds but I think that it is more likely to end with her setting sail. That said, I agree one book for her Westerosi conquest (successful or failed) seems rushed.

On 12/10/2019 at 5:57 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

1)Daenerys invasion

2)Battle with the Others

I have a feeling you're going to object strongly to my opinions on all three of these things! I'll break my opinions into three separate posts. I'll start with:

1) Daenerys invasion. It's not happening. I understand that this is the expectation and that the story was building to it, but I think there is a larger arc going on that most readers haven't noticed. The easiest way to describe it, is as a wheel of time. In a nutshell, when the Others were defeated, magic itself was locked and warded within the Wall. Over the thousands of years the wards have gotten threadbare and worn. When our story began, magic was already leaking out, and that is why there has been a return of white walkers and dragons.

The Children of the Forest and Bloodraven have been attempting damage control, because 700 ft of ice could potentially destroy a lot of people in Westeros should the wards fail. This is what I believe the true threat from the north is - the curtain of light is the Wall. So how does this affect Daenerys? Well, Bloodraven has been studying the past, present, and future through the weirwoods. He's confirmed that the past cannot be tampered with, but he might be able to affect the future by realigning the wheel of time so that historic events occur to different people and areas of Westeros. History repeats itself. How many times have we read that someone is somebody reborn? Melisandre believes Stannis is Azor Ahai reborn. Arianne believes Anders Yronwood is Criston Cole reborn. Aeron Greyjoy was reborn as Damphair. Illyrio believes Daenerys was reborn.

The "players" on the wheel may change, but the events are very similar. Daenerys represents the origin of dragons - the mother, if you will. She's effectively at the beginning of a new cycle, something which I believe Bloodraven and the Children are actively trying to prevent. She's called a "child of three", which is also a requirement in identifying the Prince that was Promised. I think the definition of "child of three" means she had two siblings, Rhaegar and Viserys, and that the prophecy was about the return of dragons, which was something the Targaryens were keen to do. You may recall that Rhaella suffered a series of stillborns, miscarriages, and deaths of other children before she finally gave birth to her third living child, Daenerys. Aerys was so suspicious of all the deaths that he placed septas to sleep with Rhaella. But what if someone were poisoning Rhaella and any children that survived, in order to prevent a third child from surviving? The wood's witch said the prince that was promised would be a direct descendent of Aerys and Rhaella, so it's obvious to me that someone was trying to prevent the prophecy from coming true.

So if Bloodraven was trying to prevent the prophecy from coming true and he saw through the weirwoods that Daenerys would be born and survive no matter what he did to Rhaella, then his next step was to prevent her from coming to Westeros, and I think he will succeed. 

As far as historical events are concerned, we are witnessing some of the major ones right now. Jon Snow seems poised to be reborn as the Nights King, and very soon he will go up against the Lord of Winterfell in a repeat of that old tale. Arianne is on her way to deliver a marriage proposal to Young Griff. These two are replaying the roles of when the lord of Dorne married Nymeria of the Rhoynar. The Faith Militant appears to be on the verge of seizing control over the Iron Throne from the Andals. The Greyjoys appear to be reprising the roles of the Blackfyre Pretenders, and Daenerys - by all appearances - seems poised to replay Aegon the Conqueror, but she's lacking two husbands. Aegon was married to two other Targaryens. Daenerys is lacking two Targaryen men to marry. She's married to Hizdahr, and by the end of Dance it looks like she may be hauled back to the Mother of Mountains to live with the crones. Will her dragon save her from Khal Jhaqo? Or will Drogo's spirit influence how the dragon acts and see this as Dany's fate? Quaithe keeps reminding Daenerys to remember who she is. The choice between Hizdahr and Daario is actually a symbolic choice between duty and her true passion. If she chooses Hizdahr, we might have a chance at seeing her make her way to Westeros, but if she chooses Daario, she's chosen the life of a dragonlord, and I think she will want to take over and rule the Dothraki.

I don't think it'll be Dany's invasion. Aegon will sit the throne when Dany arrives in Westeros and I think it will be a peaceful crossing. Something like she'll take Dragonstone and when Aegon hears of it he'll send for her to come to KL peacefully, and she'll oblige. Or he'll come to her.

Then they simmer, and behind the scenes Sansa, Tyrion, Arianne, Euron and so stoke the fires, until the war they're hoping for breaks out in the form of the second Dance.

Most the final book will be Jon's conquest of Tyrion's iron throne, with the Others trailing behind Jon's army. When he's consolidated the realm he'll turn around to fight the Others, the war for the dawn will happen in the dried out bed of the Narrow Sea. It will end when Dany dies and turns into a dragon and Jon rides her to save everyone by defeating the Others/Stannis/ice dragon and Euron.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:47 PM, chrisdaw said:

I don't think it'll be Dany's invasion. Aegon will sit the throne when Dany arrives in Westeros and I think it will be a peaceful crossing. Something like she'll take Dragonstone and when Aegon hears of it he'll send for her to come to KL peacefully, and she'll oblige. Or he'll come to her.

I agree with this. She will have an uneasy meeting with Aegon, but I don't think she'll trust or believe him. They will dance. 

Then they simmer, and behind the scenes Sansa, Tyrion, Arianne, Euron and so stoke the fires, until the war they're hoping for breaks out in the form of the second Dance.

I have a feeling the simmering won't last long, and neither will Aegon. Meanwhile, everyone else is still movin' and doin' whatever is in their best personal/political interests.

Most the final book will be Jon's conquest of Tyrion's iron throne, with the Others trailing behind Jon's army. When he's consolidated the realm he'll turn around to fight the Others, the war for the dawn will happen in the dried out bed of the Narrow Sea. It will end when Dany dies and turns into a dragon and Jon rides her to save everyone by defeating the Others/Stannis/ice dragon and Euron.

This is where I really disagree with your prediction. Jon will not conquest for the IT. All he has ever wanted is a family and a place to call home. His home is and has always been in the north; be that in Winterfell or at the Wall. If he goes south it will be because Daeny helped him against the Others and they created an alliance to establish *her* on the IT (not Jon). I'm not sure where you got the idea that the Narrow Sea may dry out (CotF natural disaster #3, or is it #4?), but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that. Also, Jon will most likely ride Daeny, but she won't be turning into a dragon.. 

4 hours ago, Lord Daedrunk said:

This is where I really disagree with your prediction. Jon will not conquest for the IT. All he has ever wanted is a family and a place to call home. His home is and has always been in the north; be that in Winterfell or at the Wall. If he goes south it will be because Daeny helped him against the Others and they created an alliance to establish *her* on the IT (not Jon). I'm not sure where you got the idea that the Narrow Sea may dry out (CotF natural disaster #3, or is it #4?), but I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on that. Also, Jon will most likely ride Daeny, but she won't be turning into a dragon.. 

And you'd be wrong. Jon will go south and conquer the IT not because he wants the throne but to consolidate the realm against the Others. On his return (from death or whatever) Jon will have a singular goal, defeating the Others, and the south, ruled by Tyrion and Sansa, will not heed his warnings. Jon will be KITN, a position he will feel he will need take to be able to lead people against the Others, but to the south that will make him a rebel leader. Jon marches south, defeats (Viserion riding) Tyrion and takes KL, has his hour of the wolf, him and Sansa weave the realm back to peace through marriage alliances, and they sit a pliable "yes sir" child on the throne, Jon bends the knee and consolidates the realm again, their king then calls the banners for the TWFTD. Jon will take the throne, but not name himself king.

Valyrian's second lifed dragons, that's how they tamed them, that's what the Varamyr prologue is leading up to. Dany was 99% of the way there in AGOT in her wake the dragon dream,

Ghosts lined the hallway, dressed in the faded raiment of kings. In their hands were swords of pale fire. They had hair of silver and hair of gold and hair of platinum white, and their eyes were opal and amethyst, tourmaline and jade. "Faster," they cried, "faster, faster." She raced, her feet melting the stone wherever they touched. "Faster!" the ghosts cried as one, and she screamed and threw herself forward. A great knife of pain ripped down her back, and she felt her skin tear open and smelled the stench of burning blood and saw the shadow of wings. And Daenerys Targaryen flew.

Her faded ancestors cheer her on to wake the dragon as they had all done before. But she lived as a human, and so her soul shot back to her body, had she died she would be the dragon.

Rhaego and Drogo did second life a dragon, they live within Drogon. It's why when she wakes she knows the eggs are the most important things in the world, because they have the souls of her husband and son in them. They are two heads, when Dany dies and joins them that is three. It is what is meant by the three heads of the dragon. Dany is related to them (Rhaego anyway), and they are a dragon, that's what blood of the dragon means. Rhaego's soul left Dany in the womb, when souls swap it's a two way street, hence the human baby body comes out a bit like a dragon. Particularly the soul swapping brings back blood, and a child in the womb shares its blood with its mother, so Dany had literal dragon blood in her, which is why she can survive a night in a funeral pyre.

The hints and themes are endless. It is why (dragon riding) Valyrians considered themselves equal to gods, didn't really keep gods and named their dragons after gods, because a life after death of many years time a human life span as the most powerful beast in the world is godhood. It is why Valyrians said they are kin to the dragons they ride, their relatives second life the dragon, they ride them, they are kin. After death a khal rises on his fiery steed to take his place among the stars. The more fiercely the man burned in life, the brighter his star will shine in the darkness. It is what Euron's Valyrian horn does, blood for fire, fire for blood. No mortal man may sound this horn and live. What is the point of a horn that kills you when you blow it? The answer is one that turns you into a dragon after your death. Throw yourself off a tall tower (suicide) to find out if you can fly (become a dragon), Euron's been trying to do this his whole life, and now he has found a horn and knows how it works, and he intends to do it.

Dany was always supposed to be born a dragon. Quaithe knows, and is trying to baby Dany to the realisation, it is the answer to her question.

"Remember who you are, Daenerys," the stars whispered in a woman's voice. "The dragons know. Do you?"

Dany is fire, all passion and instinct, but lacks the willingness or ability to muck through the nuances of the human life (as a leader at least). As a wildfire burns everything so that the land can grow anew, such is Dany's impact on Essos. It's what she is, what she is supposed to do, her role, burn down what exists so that it can be made anew. But she's not supposed to be the one doing the remaking, fire doesn't create. When she sits to try and rule, she fails, and ends up choosing to save her dragon, her means to have her own way no matter what, over allowing her dragon to die as a means of peaceful compromise. She ends up flying away from all her worries, pressures and doubts on the back of her dragon. As dragons do.

Dany's death and rebirth as a dragon will be her true awakening, it is her human life that is false, the fake, like a dream. It is foreshadowed multiple places but most starkly here.

Some small part of her knew that she was dreaming, but another part exulted. This is how it was meant to be. The other was a nightmare, and I have only now awakened.

She woke suddenly in the darkness of her cabin, still flush with triumph. Balerion seemed to wake with her

Jon will execute Dany with a Valyrian sword. A little bit of her dragon blooded soul will enter the sword and it will take fire, Lightbringer. The rest of her soul will enter Drogon, which will have been turned to stone, it will be in the dried out bed of the narrow sea beside an erupting Dragonstone. Stone dragon, salt of the seabed, smoke of the volcanic eruption. The stone dragon will wake, the more fiercely a (wo)man burned in life the brighter her star will shine in the darkness, the dragon she becomes will be the size of Balerion, and its fire burn as hot. Jon will get on her and they'll fight the Ice Dragon, he will plunge his flaming sword into its blue crystal eye.

Aemond vs Daemon is foreshadowing for the final fight, but so is this passage. Jon will know he's not going to live through the fight with the Ice Dragon, and he'll have a baby daughter, that's the significance of the hollowness he feels.

He rested for a while to let the horse graze. She did not wander far. That was good. Hobbled with a bad leg, he could never have caught her. It was all he could do to force himself back to his feet and climb onto her back. How did I ever mount her before, without saddle or stirrups, and a sword in one hand? That was another question he could not answer.

Thunder rumbled softly in the distance, but above him the clouds were breaking up. Jon searched the sky until he found the Ice Dragon, then turned the mare north for the Wall and Castle Black. The throb of pain in his thigh muscle made him wince as he put his heels into the old man's horse. I am going home, he told himself. But if that was true, why did he feel so hollow?

He rode till dawn, while the stars stared down like eyes.

19 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

And you'd be wrong. Jon will go south and conquer the IT not because he wants the throne but to consolidate the realm against the Others. On his return (from death or whatever) Jon will have a singular goal, defeating the Others, and the south, ruled by Tyrion and Sansa, will not heed his warnings. Jon will be KITN, a position he will feel he will need take to be able to lead people against the Others, but to the south that will make him a rebel leader. Jon marches south, defeats (Viserion riding) Tyrion and takes KL, has his hour of the wolf, him and Sansa weave the realm back to peace through marriage alliances, and they sit a pliable "yes sir" child on the throne, Jon bends the knee and consolidates the realm again, their king then calls the banners for the TWFTD. Jon will take the throne, but not name himself king.

Agree to disagree, I suppose. You don't really know what's going to happen so your speculation is merely a guess based on passages that you feel support your theory. My guess is just that as well, however, I'm not telling people they are straight up wrong.

Valyrian's second lifed dragons, that's how they tamed them, that's what the Varamyr prologue is leading up to. Dany was 99% of the way there in AGOT in her wake the dragon dream,

Did they now? I'm pretty sure the only mention of how dragons were tamed was simplified down to "magic", not through resurrection and living a second life as a dragon once they died.  

Her faded ancestors cheer her on to wake the dragon as they had all done before. But she lived as a human, and so her soul shot back to her body, had she died she would be the dragon.

Rhaego and Drogo did second life a dragon, they live within Drogon. It's why when she wakes she knows the eggs are the most important things in the world, because they have the souls of her husband and son in them. They are two heads, when Dany dies and joins them that is three. It is what is meant by the three heads of the dragon. Dany is related to them (Rhaego anyway), and they are a dragon, that's what blood of the dragon means. Rhaego's soul left Dany in the womb, when souls swap it's a two way street, hence the human baby body comes out a bit like a dragon. Particularly the soul swapping brings back blood, and a child in the womb shares its blood with its mother, so Dany had literal dragon blood in her, which is why she can survive a night in a funeral pyre.

The eggs being awakened by blood magic does not mean that Drogo and Rhaego's souls are in those dragons, those things are not mutually exclusive. Drogo and Rhaego are not wargs. Dany is honoring her loved ones by naming the dragons after them. It is true that she recognizes personality traits in the dragons matching them to their namesakes but that is a very human thing to do in general when you name someone or something after another person. The eggs are important to her because they are the last items she has of a life she never knew (as a Targaryen) and the life she should have but never had (a life with Drogo and their child). She is adding sentimental value to the eggs and the blood magic making them warm helps her add value to them. There is only "soul swapping" when warging. Rhaegar was not a warg either and died long before, by your logic are you saying his soul is in Rhaego? Her surviving the funeral pyre is simply magic, not some huge reveal that she is literally a dragon (or will be). 

20 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

The hints and themes are endless. It is why (dragon riding) Valyrians considered themselves equal to gods, didn't really keep gods and named their dragons after gods, because a life after death of many years time a human life span as the most powerful beast in the world is godhood. It is why Valyrians said they are kin to the dragons they ride, their relatives second life the dragon, they ride them, they are kin. After death a khal rises on his fiery steed to take his place among the stars. The more fiercely the man burned in life, the brighter his star will shine in the darkness. It is what Euron's Valyrian horn does, blood for fire, fire for blood. No mortal man may sound this horn and live. What is the point of a horn that kills you when you blow it? The answer is one that turns you into a dragon after your death. Throw yourself off a tall tower (suicide) to find out if you can fly (become a dragon), Euron's been trying to do this his whole life, and now he has found a horn and knows how it works, and he intends to do it.

Dany was always supposed to be born a dragon. Quaithe knows, and is trying to baby Dany to the realisation, it is the answer to her question.

Dany is fire, all passion and instinct, but lacks the willingness or ability to muck through the nuances of the human life (as a leader at least). As a wildfire burns everything so that the land can grow anew, such is Dany's impact on Essos. It's what she is, what she is supposed to do, her role, burn down what exists so that it can be made anew. But she's not supposed to be the one doing the remaking, fire doesn't create. When she sits to try and rule, she fails, and ends up choosing to save her dragon, her means to have her own way no matter what, over allowing her dragon to die as a means of peaceful compromise. She ends up flying away from all her worries, pressures and doubts on the back of her dragon. As dragons do.

Dany's death and rebirth as a dragon will be her true awakening, it is her human life that is false, the fake, like a dream. It is foreshadowed multiple places but most starkly here.

The Valyrians considered themselves gods because they conquered everyone in their path and were able to tame and breed dragons due to "magic". All conquering cultures with no rival feel they are empowered by "god(s)", however that doesn't mean that just because they believe it that they are in fact gods. A lot of that lore is metaphorical and isn't meant to be taken literally. When a Khal dies they don't actually take their place among the stars. Cultures create these comforting ideas around death all the time. All throughout the series there is a focus on the interpretations of prophecy and how most of those interpretations are wrong or mostly inaccurate. I think you tend to take these ideas a bit too literal from reading your posts. 

Euron doesn't know what the horn does. He thinks he does, but that is why he has other people blow it and handle it for him. He's not sure and he's very cautious.

I do agree with your assessment on Dany being fire. She's not the best creating, better at cleansing. But to say she is an actual dragon is a bit of a stretch and an assumption on something that hasn't been proven. Just because you feel something is foreshadowing doesn't mean it is, especially when the last two books aren't out yet. 

20 hours ago, chrisdaw said:

Jon will execute Dany with a Valyrian sword. A little bit of her dragon blooded soul will enter the sword and it will take fire, Lightbringer. The rest of her soul will enter Drogon, which will have been turned to stone, it will be in the dried out bed of the narrow sea beside an erupting Dragonstone. Stone dragon, salt of the seabed, smoke of the volcanic eruption. The stone dragon will wake, the more fiercely a (wo)man burned in life the brighter her star will shine in the darkness, the dragon she becomes will be the size of Balerion, and its fire burn as hot. Jon will get on her and they'll fight the Ice Dragon, he will plunge his flaming sword into its blue crystal eye.

Aemond vs Daemon is foreshadowing for the final fight, but so is this passage. Jon will know he's not going to live through the fight with the Ice Dragon, and he'll have a baby daughter, that's the significance of the hollowness he feels.

Azor Ahai reborn. While I do believe this prophecy will take shape in some form I don't think the legend is literal. Lightbringer most likely is not a sword, it could be a dragon though or even a person personified. I highly doubt Dany will warg into Drogo when she dies. When has she shown any abilities that hint that she can do this? I also doubt that we will be getting a stone dragon (an ice dragon at some point, probably) that suddenly becomes as large as Balerion. If you mean to say Drogon will become a stone dragon I think that even less likely. 

Your thoughts on Aemond vs Daemon could be foreshadowing, but for now it's just your guess. Not everything is foreshadowing for what will happen. One of the main themes of this series is that what is currently happening is not a repeat of history but a unique and different version of what has happened before. 

2 hours ago, Lord Daedrunk said:

I think you tend to take these ideas a bit too literal from reading your posts.

Or you all don't pay enough attention and take them literally enough. I provide a consistent simple thematically relevant answer to a hundred questions posed by the text, and you resort to wishy washy "it's just magic."

That only skin changers (warging is just wolf skin changing) have been shown to swap souls so far is a fair point worth addressing. The answer to that is MMD's blood magic. Her ritual sent the soul to flight, as a skin changer is able to do intrinsically at will. MMD somewhat knew what she was doing, separating Drogo's soul from his body.

Mirri Maz Duur laughed cruelly. "Look to your khal and see what life is worth, when all the rest is gone."

As a skin changer does consciously, MMD sent Drogo's soul from his body. That is why he is a catatonic state, his soul has left, it is the same state as a skin changer when they slip their skin (we get a little bit on that from Jojen with Bran). But MMD didn't count on Drogo's soul finding a home in the dragon egg. Rhaego went too.

It is what the horn does and why Euron needs it. GRRM hints the purpose of the horn symbolically through Cragorn's tattoo (the soul also has to become fire, and that's also the value of the horn, but that's unnecessary detail for here).

It is the horn of hell, he wanted to scream, though no man would have heard him. The cheeks of the tattooed man were so puffed out they looked about to burst, and the muscles in his chest twitched in a way that it made it seem as if the bird were about to rip free of his flesh and take wing.

MMD's blood magic is the basic way of doing it, but some Valyrian refined the process down to a sleek simple blow of a horn.

Jon (probably) dies and everyone assumes he'll just turn into a dire wolf, the magical beast that is his house arms. But the possibility of Dany dying and becoming a dragon, impossible. Even though it explains basically everything. Even though there's dedicated prophesies to people dying to wake dragons. Even though she literally turns into a dragon in a dream titled waking the dragon when she is near death. Even though this was said about her dad,

The Targaryens never bury their dead, they burn them. Aerys meant to have the greatest funeral pyre of them all. Though if truth be told, I do not believe he truly expected to die. Like Aerion Brightfire before him, Aerys thought the fire would transform him . . . that he would rise again, reborn as a dragon, and turn all his enemies to ash.

Someone being reborn as a dragon? No way, what is this? A fantasy story?

Archived