1917 film (spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

So, I had the opportunity to see this film at a sneak peek showing last night.  It was incredible.  A hard film to watch but hard to look away from at the same time.  The long tracking shot which gives the appearance that there were no breaks in the film start to finish draws you in.  The landscape of the First World War was nightmarish in the extreme.  I think the nightmare metaphore is deliberate the way in a dream something idilic can immediately shift into horror and back again.  

The acting was top rate (I didn’t realize one of the leads was Tommen until I left the theater).  Understated with sincere emotional impact as good acting should be.

When this film is released take the time to see it.

54 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Looking forward to seeing this on the big screen. Heard Deakins killed it again with the cinematography. 

He really did.  The contrast between the beauty of the countryside and the horror of the First World War hellscape is striking.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

So looking at the credits, does Richard Madden play Tommen's brother?

Also been a fan of Mendes, looking forward to this.

Yes.  Early in the film Tommen says to his compatriot that his brother looks like him. They do sort of favor each other.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Yes.  Early in the film Tommen says to his compatriot that his brother looks like him. They do sort of favor each other.

And the lion and the wolf finally find comity.

On 12/12/2019 at 6:26 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So, I had the opportunity to see this film at a sneak peek showing last night.  It was incredible.  A hard film to watch but hard to look away from at the same time.  The long tracking shot which gives the appearance that there were no breaks in the film start to finish draws you in.  The landscape of the First World War was nightmarish in the extreme.  I think the nightmare metaphore is deliberate the way in a dream something idilic can immediately shift into horror and back again.  

The acting was top rate (I didn’t realize one of the leads was Tommen until I left the theater).  Understated with sincere emotional impact as good acting should be.

Thanks for putting this film on my radar.

I'll be sure to see it in theaters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 4:26 AM, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Just came out at one of my local theaters. The theater is one of the older non-franchise ones in this neighborhood so I was wondering, is this movie something worth upgrading to an AMC/IMAX to watch?

7 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Just came out at one of my local theaters. The theater is one of the older non-franchise ones in this neighborhood so I was wondering, is this movie something worth upgrading to an AMC/IMAX to watch?

I didn’t see the film in IMAX but is was on a very large screen.  I can’t see that IMAX wouldn’t help.

Yeah, this was amazing. I was kind of hoping Scorsese would have a chance at another best director Oscar for The Irishman, but I think Mendes is pretty much a lock. He shot the hell out of this. Camerawork is some of the best I’ve ever seen. Deakins should certainly win one as well. 

Can’t recommend this enough. 

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Screw you Sam Mendes this movie is absolutely unbelievable! 

Im not sure if it was the dodgy curry I had before the movie making me feel weird but I don’t remember the last time I felt so tense and emotional during a movie.

Just... just brilliant!

The last two movies I’ve seen at the theater are 1917, and Uncut Gems. 

My nerves are shot. :lol:

I enjoyed it quite a bit - it was refreshing to have a film focus on WWI instead of WWII. I really don't get some of the negative comments about the characterisation being thin/not being overly invested in the leads. I very quickly became attached to them and genuinely cared as to whether they'd make it. There's only so much characterisation you can do in a "real time" film and I thought they really cut the point and that there was also a lot of subtext (eg you just knew that shit had gone down for one of them at the somme). There also wasn't any "I'm doing this because" speeches particularly for the character who was just along for the ride yet I was pretty confident why he was putting himself through such danger.

because of the comradery he felt for other soldiers even if he'd never met them and later because his friend's death had to count for something. That and he seemed to be a genuinely brave hero who got shit done with very little in the way of complaining

. The two leads were also good at being likeable which is useful in this type of film. Basically I think you have to be a little bit cold not to care at all about the leads.

The set pieces were all great and the tension was maintained throughout. The ruins/war zone at night was beautiful and dreamlike.

My only real criticism was that I was often taken out of the film by speculating on how on earth they'd filmed particular sequences and spotting potential cuts. I don't think I've watched a film before where I've been thinking I might actually enjoy the "making of" feature more than the film itself. As such the film was at its best when I could just enjoy the film for what it was. Hopefully repeat viewings after seeing some "making of" footage will allow me to that for the duration. It also highlights to me how there is a fine-line between technical mastery and storytelling. That said I totally get the idea behind the "one-take" approach and how it made you feel like you were the third soldier for most of the film. Has anyone tried this type of technique with horror yet? I know there's all the "lost footage/cam" horror films but I imagine you could achieve a really tense horror with the approach Mendes used here.

Archived