1917 film (spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

Saw it last night, on the newly opened IMAX theatre in my city. It was my first time seeing a movie in IMAX, and I can hardly imagine a better movie for that honour. 

I have been thinking about this movie a lot since I left the theatres; it had such a profound effect on me. The single-take technique never felt like a ploy at all (unlike in Birdman), but rather enhanced the suspense and intimacy entirely. 

Everything on the brilliance of the direction and cinematography has already been said, so I'll just say this: the shots of the ruined city at night is what cinema was invented for. Jesus Christ. 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/13/2020 at 9:59 PM, red snow said:

I enjoyed it quite a bit - it was refreshing to have a film focus on WWI instead of WWII. I really don't get some of the negative comments about the characterisation being thin/not being overly invested in the leads. I very quickly became attached to them and genuinely cared as to whether they'd make it. There's only so much characterisation you can do in a "real time" film and I thought they really cut the point and that there was also a lot of subtext (eg you just knew that shit had gone down for one of them at the somme). There also wasn't any "I'm doing this because" speeches particularly for the character who was just along for the ride yet I was pretty confident why he was putting himself through such danger.

Reveal hidden contents

because of the comradery he felt for other soldiers even if he'd never met them and later because his friend's death had to count for something. That and he seemed to be a genuinely brave hero who got shit done with very little in the way of complaining

. The two leads were also good at being likeable which is useful in this type of film. Basically I think you have to be a little bit cold not to care at all about the leads.

Having watched the film yesterday I would agree with this. We may not get a detailed life story for any of them but I think it manages to convey a good amount of characterisation without using much dialogue. That also works for some of the supporting characters like Colonel MacKenzie where we get to see the other officers' opinions of him before we meet him.

I like to think that Blake would have got a posthumous medal awarded to him, I think that's what he would have wanted and I could imagine Schofield recommending him for one for saving his life.

The way the film is structured is also very effective, never letting the tension slip completely but still having some relative lulls such as the journey with Mark Strong's men before suddenly turning back into a life-or-death situation. I think the only set-piece I wasn't sure about was the river rapids and waterfall which felt a bit contrived and it seems a bit unlikely that this big waterfall was right next to the town especially when all the other countryside we see is relatively flat.

Archived