Poll Question: How Rich Would You Need To Be To Spend $120,000 On A Banana Duck Taped To A Wall?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

And how rich would you need to be to be okay with someone eating said banana after you spent $120,000 on it?

Seriously, this all f’ing happened.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/dec/11/david-datuna-120000-banana-interview-art-basel-miami

At some point the banana would have become overripe and black. At least it got to be eaten while still tasty. Paying that much for ephemeral art is just silly. The guy who bought it had more money than brains, even if he only had $.59. He could have bought a whole pound of bananas then.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Can you get any nasty diseases from a banana? I hope so. 

The person who ate is the banana is an actual artist.

4 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

From what I understand, the "art" is banana taped to the wall, not THE banana taped to the wall. There is a world of difference between the two.

The third banana taped to a wall sold for $150,000.

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Hey, Banksy, the UK graffiti artist, shredded a piece of his artwork by remote control, after the painting had been sold for $1.4 million.

Art is ephemeral! Maybe more than you expect!

And that was the “F U,” much like how the real artist ate the banana. Those people wanted the painting and he wanted to watch them pay for it just so he could destroy it.

41 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

And? Its the concept they paid for. Not the actual dumb banana which will be rotten by the end of the week.

What three people did is waste $410,000 on three bananas worth less than $1. If the whole world was rich, w/e, but I come from an affluent background and have worked with people in the developing world who were deeply impoverished and I find this type of behavior to be sickening.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

What three people did is waste $410,000 on three bananas worth less than $1. If the whole world was rich, w/e, but I come from an affluent background and have worked with people in the developing world who were deeply impoverished and I find this type of behavior to be sickening.

The actual banana is besides the point. Stop fixating on it. I don't get "art" either, but people have all sorts of convoluted reasons for appreciating it. A painting that would otherwise be worth $50 as a decorative piece will suddenly become $5m or $500m just because someone certifies that it is from a renown artist. Does that make any sense to you? It has never made any sense to me but that is how it is.

3 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

The actual banana is besides the point. Stop fixating on it. I don't get "art" either, but people have all sorts of convoluted reasons for appreciating it. A painting that would otherwise be worth $50 as a decorative piece will suddenly become $5m or $500m just because someone certifies that it is from a renown artist. Does that make any sense to you? It has never made any sense to me but that is how it is.

It's not art though. If that's art, then the rapper with all the 69 tattoos on his face is an artist too. Fun fact, he's not an artist. He's a gimmick, and that's exactly what this banana duct taping incident is too.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's not art though. If that's art, then the rapper with all the 69 tattoos on his face is an artist too. Fun fact, he's not an artist. He's a gimmick, and that's exactly what this banana duct taping incident is too.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The museum thinks it is art enough to display it. I think it is ridiculous as well, but gimmick sounds like a very apt description of art. Not sure what you are complaining about then.

On 12/12/2019 at 1:55 PM, Tywin et al. said:

And that was the “F U,” much like how the real artist ate the banana. Those people wanted the painting and he wanted to watch them pay for it just so he could destroy it.

Hopefully the artist, plus whatever other people made money off of related fees, will spend the money better than the buyer ever could have.

Archived