Is Eddard Stark based off King George VI (Elizabeth II's father)?

Angel Eyes

Both were shy, retiring second sons and not expected to inherit their title, with an elder brother that was a charming ladies' man. They had to accede to their father's title and held deep insecurities about their roles as they immediately had to lead their country through a war, but came out victorious. Both had two daughters who had very different personalities that clashed.

I don't see Ned as insecure as lord, if anything he was pretty good at that, he kept his people loyal, he faced no rebellion, when he becomes hand his first problem is reconizing that he isn't above the rest of the council but their equals and this was troublesome for him as we saw in his POV.

“Another day,” Ned said. Perhaps too sharply, from the looks they gave him. He would have to remember that he was no longer in Winterfell, where only the king stood higher; here, he was but first among equals. “Forgive me, my lords,” he said in a softer tone. “I am tired. Let us call a halt for today and resume when we are fresher.” He did not ask for their consent, but stood abruptly, nodded at them all, and made for the door.

That said, when I looked for inspirations for the creation of Eddard Stark the first result that was showed to me was Richard III wich is pretty ironic considering that Ned was doomed for his mercy for kids while Richard pretty much killed his own nephews to take the crow for himself.

I personaly can't think of one historical figure like Ned, very few seems to be so honorable and driven by duty and still enjoy a relative long sucess without major rebellions and problems.

But about his time as hand of the king, Eddard remembers me a lot of Pope Celestine V. He didn't wanted the job, only took it to stop a major crises, tried to fix a highly corrupted institution without sucess, after his failure he gave up on tho job after only 6 mounths but his sucessor fearing him throw him into the jail were he died.

I actually started to reply yesterday as I recalled a couple of breakdowns of ASOIAF characters to real historical figures.  Couldn't remember the name of the guy Ned was likely based on.   Found both of the videos, GRRM participated in the first one.  During that show Ned is said to have been based in part on William Lord Hastings.   I hope I got that right.  They seemed to base this on the friendship with a king as well as Hasting's demise.  Curiously, in that same bit of the show both Robert Baratheon and Robb Stark are said to be based upon Edward the 4th.  This show is called The Real History Behind Game of Thrones.  It features interviews with Martin himself and a few historians.   Maybe they didn't see the connections you do to King George VI?  You may enjoy a look at this on youtube if that tangle of British history interests you.   

11 hours ago, Arthur Peres said:

I don't see Ned as insecure as lord, if anything he was pretty good at that, he kept his people loyal, he faced no rebellion, when he becomes hand his first problem is reconizing that he isn't above the rest of the council but their equals and this was troublesome for him as we saw in his POV.

“Another day,” Ned said. Perhaps too sharply, from the looks they gave him. He would have to remember that he was no longer in Winterfell, where only the king stood higher; here, he was but first among equals. “Forgive me, my lords,” he said in a softer tone. “I am tired. Let us call a halt for today and resume when we are fresher.” He did not ask for their consent, but stood abruptly, nodded at them all, and made for the door.

That said, when I looked for inspirations for the creation of Eddard Stark the first result that was showed to me was Richard III wich is pretty ironic considering that Ned was doomed for his mercy for kids while Richard pretty much killed his own nephews to take the crow for himself.

I personaly can't think of one historical figure like Ned, very few seems to be so honorable and driven by duty and still enjoy a relative long sucess without major rebellions and problems.

But about his time as hand of the king, Eddard remembers me a lot of Pope Celestine V. He didn't wanted the job, only took it to stop a major crises, tried to fix a highly corrupted institution without sucess, after his failure he gave up on tho job after only 6 mounths but his sucessor fearing him throw him into the jail were he died.

Ned does have his own insecurities as Lord of Winterfell, he says that Brandon would have been better.

1 hour ago, Angel Eyes said:

Ned does have his own insecurities as Lord of Winterfell, he says that Brandon would have been better.

He has insecurities as any 2nd son might have, me personally being a 2nd son can relate much with him, what Ned says is in no way him having insecurities as Lord, the man excelled at that, just that even having been more succesful than both his father and  brother he still considered that Brandon was the man as Asha puts  it "a little  brother might live to be a hundred and  he'd still be the little  brother", unlike Stannis, Ned ever let those thoughts to cloud his judgment and  that's why he's a pretty damn good Lord.

Archived