UK Politics: And Brexit came swirling down

Chaircat Meow

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

She should have been very aware of what she was getting into when she married Harry so I have little sympathy there. 

You do realize the reason people dog pile on you is because you never show any empathy, right? Your takes can be bad on their own, but the callus tone only makes it worse. Thankfully you can fix that. Here's a podcast on empathy, it's power and how it makes every aspect of your life better. Please don't be put off by the fact it's hosted by a female sports analyst as many men are.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

You do realize the reason people dog pile on you is because you never show any empathy, right? Your takes can be bad on their own, but the callus tone only makes it worse. Thankfully you can fix that. Here's a podcast on empathy, it's power and how it makes every aspect of your life better. Please don't be put off by the fact it's hosted by a female sports analyst as many men are.

That's unfair. @Heartofice has spent plenty of time displaying empathy for and defending racist slimeball politicians and shit-stirring alt right propagandists that masquerade as journalists.

6 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Apparently only 5% of their income comes from taxpayer funding, the rest is either paid by Charles out of the Duchy of Cornwall or from Harry’s own inheritances from both Diana and the Queen Mother.

So all of it, in fact, comes from taxpayer funding.

8 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea, she should have ... not married him? What?

Yes. That's the answer right there. It's not like he sprung the fact he's a member of the British Royal family on her on the 4th date? She knew immediately from meeting him. It's also a well known fact that the British press are scum and that her life would be immensely different if she decides to join it. She could have walked away, said 'sorry Harry, nice guy, but not for me'. I'm sure lots of other women have done that. 

I mean it's not like I have zero empathy for her, she has obsessives and crazies following her around everywhere, screaming the same things, throwing wild speculation and accusations at her all day.. I have @DanteGabriel 

20 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yes. That's the answer right there. It's not like he sprung the fact he's a member of the British Royal family on her on the 4th date? She knew immediately from meeting him. It's also a well known fact that the British press are scum and that her life would be immensely different if she decides to join it. She could have walked away, said 'sorry Harry, nice guy, but not for me'. I'm sure lots of other women have done that. 

I mean it's not like I have zero empathy for her, she has obsessives and crazies following her around everywhere, screaming the same things, throwing wild speculation and accusations at her all day.. I have @DanteGabriel 

Here’s an alternative plan: marry him in spite of the negatives because they’re in love, then step back from royal duties because in this day and age it’s stupid that a couple should be forced to do stuff they don’t want to just because of who his Dad is? Seems a fairly uncontroversial standpoint: you should be allowed to quit your job.

12 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Here’s an alternative plan: marry him in spite of the negatives because they’re in love, then step back from royal duties because in this day and age it’s stupid that a couple should be forced to do stuff they don’t want to just because of who his Dad is? Seems a fairly uncontroversial standpoint: you should be allowed to quit your job.

No I agree. And I think what they’ve done is great and is the right call. 

But if you know what a job entails and exactly what it will be like before you start, it’s hard to have sympathy for you when you complain about it. You had a choice to not take the job in the first place 

Given their treatment by the press, no one can begrudge Harry and Meghan calling it quits on the royals, but I agree with @ljkeane in that they have to do it properly. If they want freedom from the press then they have to give up the perks and trappings of royalty as well.

To my mind this means surrendering Harry's HRH title (they can keep the Dukedom given precedence with Duke of Windsor) and renouncing the public/British income (both the sovereign grant and the Prince Charles slush fund). If they still want to enjoy security protection etc then they ought to pay for it themselves. Prince Harry has a fair bit of money of his own, and as private citizens they are free to earn money in ways that official royals can't (publish books, speaking tours, endorsements). Good luck to them if they do it.

From the current royals' perspective, it's not that bad of an outcome to slim things down. Harry comes off the books and in the coming decades, the royal watchers were always going to focus on William's three children anyway. Even the PR angle of losing Harry (one of the more interesting royals) could, in the short term, increase Wills' popularity by contrasting his steadiness, carefully curated "family life" and devotion to duty.

28 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

No I agree. And I think what they’ve done is great and is the right call. 

But if you know what a job entails and exactly what it will be like before you start, it’s hard to have sympathy for you when you complain about it. You had a choice to not take the job in the first place 

Has she been seeking sympathy from anyone? 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yep, me bringing up your most ridiculous arguments once every couple of months after you bloviate more hypocritical and hyperbolic posturing is definitely equal to what she's getting.

You should have known the risks, Princess.

13 hours ago, ljkeane said:

They're probably fine financially so why are they only 'working to become financially independent' and keeping the multi million pound house given to them at taxpayer expense? Yeah, they have been treated badly by the tabloids but they're not exactly the heroes of the story either for me. 

"Becoming financially independent" doesn't mean the same thing for them and us.

I'm sure we could live a whole year with their budget for a single month.

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

To my mind this means surrendering Harry's HRH title (they can keep the Dukedom given precedence with Duke of Windsor) and renouncing the public/British income (both the sovereign grant and the Prince Charles slush fund). If they still want to enjoy security protection etc then they ought to pay for it themselves. Prince Harry has a fair bit of money of his own, and as private citizens they are free to earn money in ways that official royals can't (publish books, speaking tours, endorsements). Good luck to them if they do it.

Except they won't do that.

3 hours ago, Jeor said:

From the current royals' perspective, it's not that bad of an outcome to slim things down.

Yeah, but it's not like the royal family is going to give up its estates.

45 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Except they won't do that.

Maybe not, but it would be hypocritical if they were to keep the HRH title after all this. They made a big deal of their son having no title and just being Archie Mountbatten-Windsor because they wanted him to grow up as a private citizen (though he could have used one of Harry's dormant titles). But what's good for Archie isn't good for Harry?

The narrative at the moment is turning against them because it looks like they're self-interested and want to be pseudo Royal-celebrities without any of the downsides (press coverage, duties). If Harry were to renounce the HRH title that would probably turn the tables back in their favour and people would just shrug and say he made a clean break, good on him.

45 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Yeah, but it's not like the royal family is going to give up its estates.

Of course they won't give them up, but I meant more in terms of getting people off the books. It doesn't do to have a huge sprawling network of royals all living off the public purse, and really there should be some mechanism by which people lose access once they lose proximity to the monarch. Ideally it should be limited to a very small number of people in the line of succession (and Harry's now displaced to 6th, and will fall astronomically further in 20-30 years' time when William's children all start having kids of their own).

1 minute ago, Jeor said:

Of course they won't give them up, but I meant more in terms of getting people off the books. It doesn't do to have a huge sprawling network of royals all living off the public purse, and really there should be some mechanism by which people lose access once they lose proximity to the monarch.

I think there's a misunderstanding here. Most royals do not get any money directly from the taxpayer, they get money from the revenue generated by their estates.

All Royals should renounce their titles and get zero money from the taxpayer, 'their' estates should be reclaimed and the entire institution should be abolished. That's literally the only comment that I care to make about any royal 'story' ever. 

In news that actually affects people's lives, we might finally have a deal to get NI power-sharing restarted. The DUP having realised there is no more power for them at Westminster, they seem keen to get back to exercising it at Stormont. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51057721

12 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

That's unfair. @Heartofice has spent plenty of time displaying empathy for and defending racist slimeball politicians and shit-stirring alt right propagandists that masquerade as journalists.

Well that does speak to a very low level of empathy. We can call it causal Christian empathy.

5 minutes ago, mormont said:

All Royals should renounce their titles and get zero money from the taxpayer, 'their' estates should be reclaimed and the entire institution should be abolished. That's literally the only comment that I care to make about any royal 'story' ever. 

In news that actually affects people's lives, we might finally have a deal to get NI power-sharing restarted. The DUP having realised there is no more power for them at Westminster, they seem keen to get back to exercising it at Stormont. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51057721

I read an article on the story last night and learned something that blew my mind. Do the royals really get to take all unclaimed inheritances in the UK?

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I read an article on the story last night and learned something that blew my mind. Do the royals really get to take all unclaimed inheritances in the UK?

It goes to the Crown but not the part the Crown’s estates the Queen takes money from anymore. It basically just goes to the government now.

9 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It goes to the Crown but not the part the Crown’s estates the Queen takes money from anymore. It basically just goes to the government now.

Okay that’s not as bad as the article made it out to be, but there’s still no way to justify any royal families in 2020. If you believe the House of Saud needs to be done away with, you can’t then defend the royal families of Western Europe.

Archived