UK Politics: And Brexit came swirling down

Chaircat Meow

I can’t remember if this has already been raised in the thread earlier. What do people think about the potential Tory plans to criminalise trespass, ostensibly in order give police greater powers against traveller camps? My understanding is that most police forces have said they don’t need any additional legal powers for this issue.

At the risk of sounding a bit conspiracy-theory-ish, it seems very likely that the Tories (who heavily represent the interests of landowners) are using public antipathy towards travellers as a Trojan horse in order to criminalise trespass more generally.

38 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

I can’t remember if this has already been raised in the thread earlier. What do people think about the potential Tory plans to criminalise trespass, ostensibly in order give police greater powers against traveller camps? My understanding is that most police forces have said they don’t need any additional legal powers for this issue.

At the risk of sounding a bit conspiracy-theory-ish, it seems very likely that the Tories (who heavily represent the interests of landowners) are using public antipathy towards travellers as a Trojan horse in order to criminalise trespass more generally.

Haven't read too much into it but isn't all about encampments and spending specific periods of time on other people's land?

Police powers to deal with illegal encampments are shit. This is exacerbated by the fact we have insufficient resources to enforce them, and a lack of political will to take a strong stance against a protected group.

Despite the fact that traveller encampments tend to bring absolute misery to anyone who lives anywhere near them (perhaps not every single one, but I have never known an illegal encampment to be set up and there not be a spike in burglary/burglary artifice, fly tipping, fraud and general fucking chaos).

Since I am not particularly interested in Meghxit or Harrivederci (or whatever you want to call it).

Let's go back to the political elephant on the British Islands.

Dunt's 2020 Brexit Preview.

I know we've had quite a few threads on the boring stuff, which are Rules of Origin, Regulatory allignment tariffs and Ireland. But to have it again in such a compact form makes grim reading.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:55 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Police powers to deal with illegal encampments are shit. This is exacerbated by the fact we have insufficient resources to enforce them, and a lack of political will to take a strong stance against a protected group.

Despite the fact that traveller encampments tend to bring absolute misery to anyone who lives anywhere near them (perhaps not every single one, but I have never known an illegal encampment to be set up and there not be a spike in burglary/burglary artifice, fly tipping, fraud and general fucking chaos).

We get all of that in Luton, plus human-trafficking on top.

10 minutes ago, SeanF said:

We get all of that in Luton, plus human-trafficking on top.

Human Trafficking is putting it likely.. actual SLAVERY is probably a more appropriate term. 

On a personal level I have been beaten and robbed quite a few times by travellers in my youth, as we had an encampment near to where we lived. 

58 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Surprisingly quiet around here, given that Brexit is only a few days away. Exhaustion?

Just a serious lack of drama around Brexit right now.  No more watching parliamentary votes wondering if some bill will pass or not. Boris can get through whatever he wants. It’s a refreshing change.

There really isn't much to discuss right now. There's been no debate worthy of the name in Parliament. Johnson is proving that everything we said here during the campaign is correct, but there's no way to stop Brexit now so all anyone can do is buckle up and hope like hell.

Negotiations will start on the long-term deal after that, and that will provide plenty to discuss.

18 minutes ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

The good guys have achieved victory and the bad guys are sulking in their corners, powerless.

Haha, I mean there is a curious lack of Brexit scare stories being pumped out every day... it's almost as if they were trying to influence events?? Nah.. that couldn't happen. 

4 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

The good guys have achieved victory and the bad guys are sulking in their corners, powerless.

And now, like the coyote catching the road runner, they have no idea what to do next

As a European I like reading the UK politics topic as one way of understanding Brexit (from a European perspective Brexit seem really hard to understand). The last three years of Brexit were educative, interesting, funny (although mostly in a sad way) or just astonishing (mostly last summer). Now frustation with the English seems  the reigning mood at least here in Germany.

Normally I am just lurking and not posting. But today I got so upset that I decided to post anyway: What do you think about the new 50p Brexit coin? "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations " will be printed on it. REALLY!!!!!

Peace: Brexit is about leaving (best case scenario) or the  will to destroy (yes I am quite sure that most brexiteers do not only want to leave the EU, they want that it ends ) of  the biggest peace project in Europe ever.

Prosperity: already Brexit has negative impact on prosperity everywhere, it will very likely get worse.

Friendship with all nations: In the last three years Europeans were clearly "un"friended - worst last summer with all the talk of "collaboration" a term you only use about enemies.

Why not print on the coin "rule Britannica" or " we got our money back" or anything else which is more in tune with Brexit feelings. Now it is just hypocrisy and very upsetting!!!

56 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

And now, like the coyote catching the road runner, they have no idea what to do next

Similar to what I've been thinking. The "good" guys have "won." Their prize is they have to deliver the most complex trade deal in British history, in eleven months.

1 hour ago, JoannaL said:

Normally I am just lurking and not posting. But today I got so upset that I decided to post anyway: What do you think about the new 50p Brexit coin? "Peace, prosperity and friendship with all nations " will be printed on it. REALLY!!!!!

Like much of Brexit - it's extremely unpopular amongst about 1/3 of the country, deeply embarassing amongst 1/3 of the country, completely irrelevant amongst 1/4 of the country and irrationally, gloatingly brilliant for about 10% of the country.

There's talk in the various remain/rejoin areas of the internet that when we get one of those coins, we simply put it in a piggy bank, and take them out of circulation - or try to find a way of defacing them for the same reason.

20 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

Similar to what I've been thinking. The "good" guys have "won." Their prize is they have to deliver the most complex trade deal in British history, in eleven months.

They won't though - they don't WANT a trade deal with the EU; just a scape goat.

The trade deal they want is with the USA - and that won't be a complex one, it'll be "Whatever you want Mr Trump sir - and would you like us to swallow?"

2 hours ago, Maltaran said:

That might have been sort of true a few months ago, with May in charge and a parliament in constant state of log jam, nobody able to agree on what Brexit they want (and most trying to stop it). But its far from true now. 

I think the coin, and bonging for Brexit is all a bit crass and I don't think it's all that appropriate, it would probably just wind a lot of people up. Having said that, I have no problem with what's written on the coin.

Peace: Brexit is about leaving (best case scenario) or the  will to destroy (yes I am quite sure that most brexiteers do not only want to leave the EU, they want that it ends ) of  the biggest peace project in Europe ever.

While the EU might have started out as a peace project aiming to prevent another European war, it has long since ceased to be about that, and it's a pretty wild claim to imagine that it's the EU that prevents european wars, and it hasn't really done much in that field for a while and could be said to have aggravated a few situations as well.

Prosperity: already Brexit has negative impact on prosperity everywhere, it will very likely get worse.

Well there is always going to be arguments about that, but long term Brexit could lead to a much better economic situation for the UK. 

Friendship with all nations: In the last three years Europeans were clearly "un"friended - worst last summer with all the talk of "collaboration" a term you only use about enemies.

There have been some pretty hostile words used by the EU as well, let's not forget that. However since Brexit all of the talk is about being close allies of the EU, just not inside it. I think that is perfectly reasonable. There is a constant train of thought that Brexit means that Britain is leaving Europe.. it's not.. it's leaving the EU. It's not the same thing. 

50 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

They won't though - they don't WANT a trade deal with the EU; just a scape goat.

Well this isn't true. In fact it's nonsense. A more realistic point of view would be to say that the EU doesn't want a trade deal with  Britain, because it's not to it's advantage. What the EU wants is for Britain to follow all rules and regulations of the EU and to not do very well. Britain would quite like a trade deal with the EU, just like other countries have with the EU. They just don't want to have to pass off all their sovereign powers to the EU in order to get it. 

Archived