UK Politics: And Brexit came swirling down

Chaircat Meow

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Don't seem to remember much complaint about gotcha moments around the Boris 'look at this phone' interview. 

You don't remember yourself going on about that for pages and pages?

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Unfortunately that is the nature of the press at the moment, and has been for a while. 

On that we can agree. The main newspapers and broadcasters have been uninterested in any genuinely open and curious inquiry into the truth for a very long time.

Nevertheless, the form this disinterest takes manifests very differently in regard to different sides of the political debate.

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The amount of press, compared to the actual importance of this story is mind blowing. Which kind of proves their point. 

Indeed. I’m always blown away by the hate they get when scanning your country’s tabloids.

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I guess you could say they’ve voted for Sussexit?

That they’re all calling Megxit is telling.

An American woman of color, that's an easy target for the tabloids on 3 counts, not withstanding Prince Harry having agency of his own and quite possible the instigator of all this (based on his open letter or whatever it was a few months ago).

Also, Piers Morgan is always wrong as a matter of principle.

Obviously the tabloid press are terrible but they aren't entirely beyond reproach either. Apparently they're going to 'carve out a progressive new role' within the Royal institution while working to 'become financially independent'. So they're going to find themselves somewhere in North America while being subsidised at considerable public expense? Fuck off. If they, entirely understandably, want to quit the whole Royal merry go round fine, but actually do it then.   

She should have been very aware of what she was getting into when she married Harry so I have little sympathy there. 

I do think this is probably mostly coming from him though, the stuff he’s said about his relationship with his brother and obviously everything that happened to his mother it’s pretty understandable that he’s want to get the hell out of all that nonsense. Good on them if they do genuinely want to make their own money too.

21 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

She should have been very aware of what she was getting into when she married Harry so I have little sympathy there. 

Yes, you've got much more sympathy for Roseanne Barr, who got fired after months of deranged tweeting against the wishes of her bosses, and some jackass who got arrested for tweeting jokes about bombing an airport, as if those people didn't know what they were getting into.

Your blinkered predictability is your most endearing trait. Possibly for lack of competition.

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Obviously the tabloid press are terrible but they aren't entirely beyond reproach either. Apparently they're going to 'carve out a progressive new role' within the Royal institution while working to 'become financially independent'. So they're going to find themselves somewhere in North America while being subsidised at considerable public expense? Fuck off. If they, entirely understandably, want to quit the whole Royal merry go round fine, but actually do it then.   

Apparently only 5% of their income comes from taxpayer funding, the rest is either paid by Charles out of the Duchy of Cornwall or from Harry’s own inheritances from both Diana and the Queen Mother. So becoming financially independent doesn’t appear to be very difficult.

10 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

Apparently only 5% of their income comes from taxpayer funding, the rest is either paid by Charles out of the Duchy of Cornwall or from Harry’s own inheritances from both Diana and the Queen Mother. So becoming financially independent doesn’t appear to be very difficult.

The Duchy of Cornwall is basically public funding as well. That part of what's irritating about the whole 'we're giving up the money from the sovereign grant' thing. That's nice, what about the other 95% of their funding that's coming from the profits of a crown estate?

ETA: Apparently Harry does have a fairly significant inheritance from his mother and great grandmother and presumably she's reasonably well off. They're probably fine financially so why are they only 'working to become financially independent' and keeping the multi million pound house given to them at taxpayer expense? Yeah, they have been treated badly by the tabloids but they're not exactly the heroes of the story either for me. 

There’s a really strange lack of mentions that Meghan Markle was a successful actress before she married Harry...? I doubt they’ll struggle. 

4 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yea, she should have ... not married him? What?

Archived