Bran the King

Eternally_Theirs

Is Bran becoming a King really a show-only event? Because appareantly G.R.R,M told the show writers that he planned on Bran becoming King in the books as well, yet people here say otherwise, and I am confused about this. *shrug*

Proof: https://entertainment.ie/tv/tv-news/game-of-thrones-books-ending-bran-king-431380/

I think it is a book event. Lots of readers like to pretend like they know more than D&D, but they are (to my knowledge) the only people GRRM has confided in about the future plot. He says he has always known the fate of the major characters and somewhere around S2-3, they had a meeting to discuss future plots. 

He stated that: "my involvement in the show has diminished over time, though, I’m still here whenever they want to talk to me, and I’m always glad to weigh in. David and Dan have come to Santa Fe and we’ve discussed many of the ultimate developments, those landmarks that I spoke to at the end of the road that we’re both driving for. So I don’t need to be quite as involved as I was at the beginning" (x). 

His word choice in these interviews also suggest we are seeing his ending for the major characters. He says, "I don't think Dan and Dave's ending is going to be that different from my ending because of the conversations we did have" (x). 

This line from his blog is interesting too: "so if nothing else, the readers will learn what happened to Jeyne Poole, Lady Stoneheart, Penny and her pig, Skahaz Shavepate, Arianne Martell, Darkstar, Victarion Greyjoy, Ser Garlan the Gallant, Aegon VI, and a myriad of other characters both great and small that viewers of the show never had the chance to meet."

Why say it like that? So the show may spoil the fate of [insert major character here] but if nothing else we can still be surprised by what happens to ...Penny? Darkstar? Oh, how thrilling!

So I would say based on these goat entrails, Bran as king is a "primary beat" and a "broad stroke" but the choices made to get him there will probably be different in the books. 

ETA one more -

Interviewer: So you’re gonna be somewhat surprised by their ending then, perhaps …
GRRM: Well, to a degree. I mean, I think … the major points of the ending will be things that I told them, you know, five or six years ago. But there may also be changes, and there’ll be a lot added. (x)

• 4 weeks later...

Show only event? More likely the only event. I honestly don't expect to see Winds of Winter, much less Dream of Spring anytime in the next decade. Martin sold an incomplete product and got HBO and D&D to take the fall for that, so the man is brilliant in areas other than writing.

Archived