The Farside is back!!!

maarsen

4 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Cows, dogs, reptiles. Along with mad, and angry, scientists are all coming back. Gary Larson has restarted the Farside as a website. Be still my beating heart. 

Wha.. wha... whaaaaaat?!!!?

The scientific world needs The Far Side!!! 

Stegosaurus had a formidable tail. Studded with four long spikes, this dinosaur's business end would have given Allosaurus and other Jurassic predators plenty of incentive to keep moving. But do we have any evidence that Stegosaurus really used its tail this way?

Among paleontologists, the four-spiked tail of Stegosaurus is called a "thagomizer." It is one of a few terms inspired by one of Gary Larson's beloved "Far Side" cartoons: a caveman points to a slide of a Stegosaurus tail and names the nasty-looking structure in honor of "the late Thag Simmons." Humans and Stegosaurus missed each other by over 140 million years, but the joke was so perfect that paleontologists couldn't help but informally use it.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/watch-out-for-that-thagomizer-98891562/

Glad it's back!

I'm so happy you brought this to my attention. Thank you. 

I've moved back to my hometown after twenty years, and my aging parents encouraged me to empty out my childhood bedroom's bookshelves. Much of it went to the library book sale, but i kept my entire shelf of every Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, Outland and Bloom County collections. I had some friends over the other day, and was very happy when one complimented my bathroom reading choices - a Far Side gallery and an Onion collection. 

Some of those old Far Sides would be very non-PC these days, but nearly every page has one that has me laughing out loud on the ol' ivory throne.

I'm so happy you brought this to my attention. Thank you. 

I've moved back to my hometown after twenty years, and my aging parents encouraged me to empty out my childhood bedroom's bookshelves. Much of it went to the library book sale, but i kept my entire shelf of every Calvin and Hobbes, The Far Side, Outland and Bloom County collections. I had some friends over the other day, and was very happy when one complimented my bathroom reading choices - a Far Side gallery and an Onion collection. 

Some of those old Far Sides would be very non-PC these days, but nearly every page has one that has me laughing out loud on the ol' ivory throne.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived