STAR WARS: Long Live The Legacy Universe!

Jace, Extat

Anybody who speaks/understands German - there is a very great audiodrama adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy with the original German OT voice actors as well as an adaptation of Luceno's 'Labyrinth of Evil' and 'Dark Lord'.

Those productions essentially are in the same league as the Star Wars audio dramas, possibly even better.

31 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Anybody who speaks/understands German - there is a very great audiodrama adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy with the original German OT voice actors as well as an adaptation of Luceno's 'Labyrinth of Evil' and 'Dark Lord'.

Those productions essentially are in the same league as the Star Wars audio dramas, possibly even better.

Oh my god, I looked it up. This sounds utterly amazing! Why is it Star Wars dubbing in Germany had always been absolutely amazing? For example I like the Prequel Trilogy significantly better in German because the voice actors put so much effort into it (and was shocked when I saw the same scenes for the first time in their original state and how awfully wooden everyone sounds). And then of course there is The Clone Wars having the same voice actors for Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padmé etc., making it fit even more neatly into the universe of the movies.

The Thrawn thing there is really great. They have 14 CDs in total, which break down to four, I think, for HotE and five each for the later novels (which fits considering that they were somewhat bigger. Very few scenes/plot points are missing - with LoE and DL it is somewhat different, since there are only three for the first one and four for the latter.

But Oliver Döring, the guy adapting it, actually brought back the original German voice actor of Peter Cushing from ANH for the Tarkin part in DL - which was really great. That guy was long in retirement and in his nineties or possibly the hundreds, if I remember correctly.

9 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

But Oliver Döring, the guy adapting it, actually brought back the original German voice actor of Peter Cushing from ANH for the Tarkin part in DL - which was really great. That guy was long in retirement and in his nineties or possibly the hundreds, if I remember correctly.

I tried looking for voice samples of Tarkin from Dark Lord. Yes, he sounded quite different than in the movie, but I guess being 92 at the time of the recording does that to you.^^ Quite amazing for Friedrich Schoenfelder to do that! Well, even though he wasn't retired according to Wikipedia since he apparently still did theater plays at the same time. Unfortunately he died in 2011...

But while looking for it, I was also surprised just how many other voice actors there were I recognized. Aside from those reprising their roles like the voice for the clones there were so ridiculously many voice actors from Star Trek I couldn't believe it. In just a couple of minutes I heard Odo, Julian Bashir, Picard, Riker, Beverly Crusher. That's actually a tad distracting. XD

On 12/19/2019 at 11:28 PM, Kalbear said:

I recently bought Dark Empire from a thrift store to relive my youth, and holy crap is that thing shitty. Seriously, so very bad. 

Traitor was probably the book that most affected me from the EU - another Stover book, in NJO, and it was the best look at what Sith could be as an actually interesting villain. Also a great take on why the YV were the way they were. 

Dark Empire was widely regarded as dogshit at the time, to be honest. Dark Empire and Kevin J. Anderson's books were the ones dogpiled on whenever anyone wanted to slag off the EU, and quite deservedly so.

Zahn's original trilogy, Stover's work and the X-Wing books I think were the highlights of the EU books. The New Jedi Order was a good idea, but its execution was all over the place.

I also hate that I have a bunch of Star Wars encyclopedias that are pretty much useless now.  Still don't understand why Disney couldn't have worked within the EU seeing as we got a trilogy that's bull shit anyway.

I think the NJO and everything afterwards would have been too difficult to work with. My suggestion would have been to accept Visions of the Future as the cut-off point, ignore the NJO and then do a story about the fall of the Republic and the corruption of Jacen into a bad guy from there.

The backstory of the first half of the EU is not very complex, really. Luke's married to this former mercenary (maybe just not mention the fact she was an apprentice of the Emperor) and has a kid, Han and Leia are married and have three kids, the New Republic is back, the Empire is still around but it's a small remnant off in one corner of the galaxy and then something happens that makes the Empire a threat again (the rise of a new Sith lord, natch, if you have to go there). You still have a huge amount of freedom where you go from there.

8 hours ago, Werthead said:

The backstory of the first half of the EU is not very complex, really. Luke's married to this former mercenary (maybe just not mention the fact she was an apprentice of the Emperor) and has a kid, Luke and Leia are married and have three kids, the New Republic is back, the Empire is still around but it's a small remnant off in one corner of the galaxy and then something happens that makes the Empire a threat again (the rise of a new Sith lord, natch, if you have to go there). You still have a huge amount of freedom where you go from there.

I dunno, it sounds kinda complicated to me...

On 12/20/2019 at 11:52 AM, Toth said:

I tried looking for voice samples of Tarkin from Dark Lord. Yes, he sounded quite different than in the movie, but I guess being 92 at the time of the recording does that to you.^^ Quite amazing for Friedrich Schoenfelder to do that! Well, even though he wasn't retired according to Wikipedia since he apparently still did theater plays at the same time. Unfortunately he died in 2011...

Yeah, forgot that this thing actually found its way into wikipedia ;-). And one can pretend that the old voice actor 'aged' to become the Tarkin from ANH.  There are twenty years between there, too. Not about forty years, but so what.

I had so hoped we would have gotten some Tarkin-Dooku interaction in the PT or TCW so that Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee are (sort of) back on the screen after so many years...

If your German is good enough, it is really great fun to listen to this stuff.

On 12/20/2019 at 11:52 AM, Toth said:

But while looking for it, I was also surprised just how many other voice actors there were I recognized. Aside from those reprising their roles like the voice for the clones there were so ridiculously many voice actors from Star Trek I couldn't believe it. In just a couple of minutes I heard Odo, Julian Bashir, Picard, Riker, Beverly Crusher. That's actually a tad distracting. XD

Yeah, Oliver Döring did that kind of thing with his audio plays. He ran the 'John Sinclair' audio plays (German pulp horror series) for over a decade, and those were and still are really popular because they uses hollywood movie voice actors.

I was at my mom’s for a late Christmas tonight and this thread made me go up to my old room and try to dig up my Empire trilogy and the XWing series.

I found Heir to the Empire and Dark Force Rising, but could not find Last Command. Made me sad and so I just left them there.  Maybe when I can go back when my wife won’t be bugging me to come down and socialize I can make a better search.  I mean... it’s gotta be there somewhere?!!?  I even looked amongst the sixty or so Dragonlance books...

Ummmm... yeah...

:leaving: 

Archived