aSoIaF Confessions

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

With so many astute readers on the forums it seems almost no tidbit of information goes unnoticed. I often find my self in awe of some of the other posters & tbh, sort of dumb :lol:. I read someone's theory, thoughts, foreshadowing, symbolism & think WOW I would have never come up with that! 

In fact, I have quite a few things that really made me bang my head once I realized the truth vs what I thought. 

Here are some of my confessions:

I didn't realize, until reading on this forum, that Aeron is called DAMPhair because of his wet hair & before that always pronounced it Damfair (making the F sound with the PH)

I still have a hard time remembering they are the KettlebLacks & not the Kettlebacks. 

R+L=J never, one time, dawned on me until I read it on the forums - In fact I was sort of convinced Mance was Jon's father.

I pronounced Ygritte like YA-grit with a short 'a' sound

I don't know if I've ever read all of Bran's chapters. I try but they are so boring to me. The mystery surrounding Bran & the CotF is very intriguing to me but the actual chapters I cannot get through! 

What are some of your confessions? 

6 hours ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I didn't realize, until reading on this forum, that Aeron is called DAMPhair because of his wet hair & before that always pronounced it Damfair (making the F sound with the PH)

Me too! Worse, actually, because I just thought no-one is called damp-hair, so I went with damfair.

In my first read, I also did a lot of tutting and sighing over the amount of repetition, and details lacking realism. Would have never got past that stage if I hadn't stumbled upon the forum.

Rhaegar possibly being the father of Jon occurred to me near the end of the reading the first back back in the mid 90's (yes I'm that old).  Of course since then I've started to get suspicious that it may be a misdirect.

This board did open my eyes to how many references to various mythologies and other works of literature that George has probably made in this series.  

The one time I really felt stupid, was when I posted something about Biter's tongue somehow regrowing from ACOK to AFFC.  That's when someone pointed out to me, that what Brienne saw as a tongue was really Gendry's sword coming from the back of Biter's head and out his mouth.  I completely missed that one.

29 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I didn't click with the Frey pies, like at all. I missed a good 70% of the stuff until I started a spreadsheet.

My brain hurts every time I see this. 

7 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

:rofl:

Same here! 

Haha!! If it makes you feel any better, once I came to the forums & read some of the theories on it, I quickly came to realize Mance was NOT Jon's father lol

1 minute ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Haha!! If it makes you feel any better, once I came to the forums & read some of the theories on it, I quickly came to realize Mance was NOT Jon's father lol

And you know what? I think part of why it does my head in is because I would looooooove for it to be true! 

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

And you know what? I think part of why it does my head in is because I would looooooove for it to be true! 

Me too!! But it just isn't there. I never had any solid evidence for thinking it, it was more of a hunch. I knew Ned was probably not Jon's dad & reading the exchanges between Ygritte & Jon (Mance will want him) & between Jon & Mance made me feel like Mance knew more about Jon than Jon knew about Jon. Which still could be the case. 

Just now, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Me too!! But it just isn't there. I never had any solid evidence for thinking it, it was more of a hunch. I knew Ned was probably not Jon's dad & reading the exchanges between Ygritte & Jon (Mance will want him) & between Jon & Mance made me feel like Mance knew more about Jon than Jon knew about Jon. Which still could be the case. 

Mance clearly becomes a father figure for Jon, as the Old Bear had before him, and Tormund Thunderfist does later. I :wub: Tormund so much... practically as much as I love Bloodraven. :)

10 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I don't know about the possibility of Mance knowing more about Jon. But Mance also remembers Jon when he was a small boy of 4 or 5 and he and Robb were building walls of snow to push over the head of Fat Tom. 

1 hour ago, Gingin said:

Ahah same here! Frankly, I also cannot remember which one of them had fun with  Cersei, their names are so similar! 

For some reason, I decided long ago that Osney was really named Oswald. So that stuck like glue and no amount of trying to learn the name has changed that.

It's the same with Big Walder and Little Walder. They confuse the hell out of me. I know there's the one whose mother is  a Paege and the other, his mother is Maryia Darry, and his sister is Fat Walda, and both are Merrett Frey's children, I know that's the one who was killed. But I can never recall if it was the big one who is little or the little one who is big. :wacko:

From AGOT to ADWD, there's 343 chapters (including Prologues and Epilogues), and I have read only ~133 of them.

When I started to read the series, I have read first 10 chapters of AGOT, and became more interested in going with Jon's plot-line instead of keep reading the book the way it was written (with switching between POVs in every chapter). So first I have read all of Jon's chapters from AGOT to ADWD (and because in AFFC there was no Jon's POV, and events at The Wall and after were depicted thru Sam's POV, I also have read all chapters with Sam's POV, in AFFC and back in ASOS).

Then, after going thru all of Jon's chapters, I have read all of Dany's chapters. Then I went thru chapters in which was depicted the Purple Wedding (Tyrion's POV and Sansa's POV), and kept going with Tyrion's POV to his last chapter in ADWD.

While reading Dany's chapters I got interested in Baristan's plot-line, so I have read all of his chapters. Then JonCon's chapters in ADWD. And while reading thru Sam's chapters, I got interested in where's Bran and Co is going, and why are they going there. So I have read Bran's chapters in ADWD, went back to AGOT to read all of his chapters. But his POV is kind of boring (except the Three-Eyed Crow dream), so I have read only until Robb's departure from Winterfell. I have read some chapters with Sansa's POV (from the Purple Wedding to Lysa's death), and some chapters with Arya's POV (Ned's execution, Arya at Harrenhall, skipped thru 1 or 2 of her chapters at Braavos). I have read all Prologues and Epilogues, Mel's chapter, all of Jon and Dany's, all of Sam's, several of Tyrion's prior the Purple Wedding and all after, 2-3 Arya's and Sansa's, some random chapter here and there (one of Theon's, one of his sister's, one Davos'), and that's it, I haven't read any of Cersei's or Jaime's chapters.

I'm going to properly read the entire series only when all 7 books will be out. Because, even though I have read only a bit over 1/3 of the series, I have already figured out most important mysteries of ASOIAF, so I don't want to spoil for myself all the future reveals that are still left (which will definitely happen if I will read now thru all chapters of the series).

5 hours ago, Gingin said:

Ahah same here! Frankly, I also cannot remember which one of them had fun with  Cersei, their names are so similar! 

Nope me either. 

5 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Speaking of names, to this day I can’t keep the Targs straight... Aegon, Daeron, Daemon, Jahahahaherys, etc. 

oh yeah. Aegon, Aemon, Aenys, Aeron, Aerys, Arys, Areo, -- not all Targ names but george definitely went a little overboard. 

• 3 weeks later...

The gender of some names is hopeless to me. Like Alys; english natives may easily read this as a play with Alice, but to me it stubbornly looks similar to Aenys and so I keep forgetting that Alys'es are female and get wholly confused when one gets betrothed to a male.

Some of the geography (in spite of all maps available) I cant get my head around. Like Marcher lords fight against the Dornish but its still called the Dornish Marches? Taking the demon road going through Valyria which is perilous to set foot in is a viable route? All of Valyria getting destroyed in the Doom... except Mantarys, Tyria and Oros which are still inhabited?

If it weren't for this forum I wouldn't have picked up a lot of things but the biggest ones would be Gay Griff, Cersei's level of self-delusion in regards to Tywin's wisdoms which gets totally warped in her head, and fAegon.

Archived