aSoIaF Confessions

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

1 hour ago, SilverGhost said:

I skip a lot of Dany chapters in ACOK and ADWD, Qarth until the House of the Undying and Dany failing to rule a city were both really boring to me.

Ahh I do the same with the Mereen chapters. I like reading her chapters usually but those just drag on & on. 

My first read through, just three books at that point, I didn't notice or care about any of the 'mysteries'. Didn't even notice there were any! I was too busy rushing through the story to see what happened next.

Before AFFC came out I did a re-read and early on in that figured out R+L=J, went on the internet to find out more and found the Tower of the Hand, which opened my eyes to the depth of the stories behind the story, and then on to this forum.

On 12/19/2019 at 4:00 PM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

I still have a hard time remembering they are the KettlebLacks & not the Kettlebacks. 

Same with me.

On 12/20/2019 at 12:11 AM, Alexis-something-Rose said:

I didn't click with the Frey pies, like at all. I missed a good 70% of the stuff until I started a spreadsheet.

That was the one thing I also missed during the first read of ADwD. I caught pretty everything else, even those stupid mistakes (like Lancel suddenly being Cersei's nephew or Septon Chayle being alive and apparently (sort of) well at the Wall but not that rather obvious thing. I actually wondered where those blasted Freys went, and why the hell Manderly was so happily drunk during the wedding...

On 1/7/2020 at 1:26 AM, Lord Lannister said:

Oh my first read of the series before I watched the show I was pronouncing Jaime as Haime like he was Spanish. :huh:

Yeah, and I'd still say that's the proper way to do it. 'Jaime' isn't a proper English name and shouldn't be pronounced that way.

Needed a little hint for the Rhaegar-Lyanna thing back in the day - some friend remarked that Jon may not have to be Ned's son. And then everything was clear.

When I first picked up the books, the Kardashians were at their height of popularity and someone (ugh) was bugging me *all the time* to watch it. So the Targs were introduced as pretty and powerful big things but we weren't given any substantive reason for their fame beyond being pretty and those blingy dead dragons. 

Somehow, Targs became Targashians and to this day that still slips out on occasion. 

It didn't help that the Targ stuff first struck me as sounding like something attributed to a pro wrestler "character". On my first read, most of Viserys' Targ slogans were in pro wrestler voice and when I was really tired, I pictured him in obnoxious tights. 

First impressions and all that - but I've never been able to take them as seriously as other characters in the books. 

• 3 weeks later...

I began to intensely dislike Dany’s  chapters once she arrives in Slaver’s Bay, like I had to consciously muscle through them, and I realized it’s because Ghiscari names are completely unreadable to me.

They all look the same, and it takes intense concentration for me to keep them straight.  

IRL I’m fluent in multiple spoken languages and can code in several computer programming languages, but I can’t tell a Hizdab from a Kraznys.  Except The Shavepate.  I love that guy, cuz I know who he is.

On 12/19/2019 at 10:00 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

With so many astute readers on the forums it seems almost no tidbit of information goes unnoticed. I often find my self in awe of some of the other posters & tbh, sort of dumb :lol:. I read someone's theory, thoughts, foreshadowing, symbolism & think WOW I would have never come up with that! 

In fact, I have quite a few things that really made me bang my head once I realized the truth vs what I thought. 

Here are some of my confessions:

I didn't realize, until reading on this forum, that Aeron is called DAMPhair because of his wet hair & before that always pronounced it Damfair (making the F sound with the PH)

Me too. And the first time I read "septa," I assumed that was some old term for a nanny. 

On 12/19/2019 at 10:00 AM, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

R+L=J never, one time, dawned on me until I read it on the forums - In fact I was sort of convinced Mance was Jon's father. 

I never though about Jon's parents much at all.  I was reading so much so fast the first time that I barely could keep character names straight.. Then at the end of Dance, Jon was dead, so why TF would I care who his mother was?  It wasn't until the first ToJ scene in the show that I remembered Lyanna was a thing.  Discover RLJ from that (not the one at the end of the season the one in like E4 that season).  Then went online and realized this was a huge theory.    

3 minutes ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

Ned looks Gared in the eye and says, “The Others? You’re sure about that now? Well, I am the Warden of the North, I suppose I should look into it.”

YES!  We are al supposed to think this while he's ironically explaining to Bran why the man had to die.  But Ned, you just broke your own rule and didn't hear the man at all!

I was completely befuddled by the Reek, Ramsey and Theon interaction in ACOK. When “Reek” first shows up at Winterfell, I remember thinking wait, that was important?! I had to go back and reread all the mentions of Reek and Ramsey. Then the sack of Winterfell chapter happens with the Ramsey reveal and I was befuddled all over again. Who the hell is this Reek guy? It took a little bit to piece it together.

Archived