aSoIaF Confessions

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

In the spirit of a confession thread, I will admit, I’m an American male in a committed heterosexual relationship but I don’t have any qualms about noticing or remarking on other men’s looks. I tend to view sexuality on a scale like Kinsey and I think GRRM has tried to portray a variety of orientations in an effort to be somewhat realistic about what, why and how people interact sexually, including personal motivations and power dynamics. That being said, I’ll borrow a line from the musical Hair, “I wouldn’t kick Mick Jagger out of my bed, but no, I’m not a homosexual.” I would, however, update that for the present and substitute Chris Hemsworth for Mick. I mean damn, you could grate cheese on Thor’s abs.

13 minutes ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

In the spirit of a confession thread, I will admit, I’m an American male in a committed heterosexual relationship but I don’t have any qualms about noticing or remarking on other men’s looks. I tend to view sexuality on a scale like Kinsey and I think GRRM has tried to portray a variety of orientations in an effort to be somewhat realistic about what, why and how people interact sexually, including personal motivations and power dynamics. That being said, I’ll borrow a line from the musical Hair, “I wouldn’t kick Mick Jagger out of my bed, but no, I’m not a homosexual.” I would, however, update that for the present and substitute Chris Hemsworth for Mick. I mean damn, you could grate cheese on Thor’s abs.

13 minutes ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

I'd probably draw the line at Harvey Weinstein.

21 minutes ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

Omg it's my favorite scene ever AND they are just soo right about hair of course :D

And tbh I think I'm kinda the same. Would consider myself straight for the most part, but there are some women....:wub::D

1 minute ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

That’s the scene! Thanks. Hair is one my three favorite musicals. In order, Jesus Christ Superstar, Tommy and Hair. No need for any others.:)

Omg I don't believe it! JCS and Hair are my two favorites too :D They are just the best!! 

Now I have to check out Tommy too, of course :) don't know that one.

4 hours ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

he doesn’t seem very good at tending to the fire in Jon’s quarters. 

Indeed. And that may point to Satin maybe not having as low a birth as Marsh and others assume. ;)

3 hours ago, Edgar Allen Poemont said:

That’s the scene! Thanks. Hair is one my three favorite musicals. In order, Jesus Christ Superstar, Tommy and Hair. No need for any others.:)

I love Hair (Treat Williams at the wedding reception, ‘nuff said) and Tommy, JCS not so much. But it’s just not possible to have a “best musicals evah” w/o The Sound of Music”!

:commie:

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Indeed. And that may point to Satin maybe not having as low a birth as Marsh and others assume. ;)

That’s a good point. Do you think it possibly has some ramifications going forward? I’ve read others suggest it may have something to do with the plot against Jon, which I have to admit worries me a little because I think it’s possible the last knife in the back could be from somebody Jon would never suspect. Thorne would be an obvious suspect but he’s on the ranging mission and I wonder if GRRM wants to ramp up the betrayal aspect with someone considered more in Jon’s camp.

I can appreciate Sound of Music but I think it’s more because it reminds me of being a kid and watching it with my family. I definitely had a major crush on Liesl too! :wub:

I also liked Camelot because it had knights and swords. My tastes just went rock opera as I hit my teens. I was kidding a little when I said it was only those three. I also love the Who’s Quadraphenia and Pink Floyd’s the Wall. I also bought tickets to see Fiddler on the Roof for my girlfriend  for Christmas but that’s more because she loves musicals, although it makes me smile to think of my parents singing those songs too. Garden of Gethsemene from JCS gets me every time. I even have an evolving theory about Jon’s assassination that I refer to as the Garden of Gethsemarsh.

• 2 weeks later...

I probably have a lot of confessions to make, but of the top of my head: (might have to complete this list later)

1. I didn't know until recently, why everyone called it Cleganebowl, since I'm not American. On that occasion got to learn that it's Superbowl instead of, as I had always assumed, Superball- because, you know, ball is the thing they call the easter egg under their arm, they are running around with -Superball seems more reasonable IMO. Isn't a bowl something in between a cup and a plate?

2. In my first english read I thought Cat was tortured with actual alive real birds, that were scratching her face, after Robb's death- very well documented in a thread here. I even made a gender thing out of it- but everyone was very nice and just polity pointed out, that it was a metaphor - I might have been a bit drunk, while reading that particular scene :blush::cheers: but I don't think, that's really an excuse, since I knew the story already after all- suddenly I was like: waaaitt!! Raaavens? Gotta post that right away and better make a meta thing out of it, because my question is important (in a drunk voice)

3. Ever since I was a kid, I knew I would some day read ASOIAF, because my local book store owner was a big fan and he told me, that one day, I as a fantasy lover, would be ready :D (and I also really loved the covers- let's be honest, that's important- they just looked so epic ) but when the time had finally come and i was deemed ready at 17, I only ever managed to read up until Bran's fall, because since I'm scared of heights myself, I a have a thing for stories, where characters are great climbers or something similar that's connected to heights and you see the world described from their perspective. GRRM did such a good job with describing Bran's climbing adventures and I so very much expected him climbing everywhere to be a big part of his story and was so excited about it, that I was so devastated, that I put the book down and didn't pick it up again until 3 years later. Needless to say it was a good decision, since I obviously wasn't ready yet (being so upset about just Bran's fall) lol Weird I don't dislike jaime more 

4. I like Feast and Dance better than Clash and Storm

6 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

I probably have a lot of confessions to make, but of the top of my head: (might have to complete this list later)

1. I didn't know until recently, why everyone called it Cleganebowl, since I'm not American. On that occasion got to learn that it's Superbowl instead of, as I had always assumed, Superball- because, you know, ball is the thing they call the easter egg under their arm, they are running around with -Superball seems more reasonable IMO. Isn't a bowl something in between a cup and a plate?

What can I say? Yanks are weird. They call it “football”, despite the fact that the players don’t really use their feet, and the “ball” is more of an odd shaped object than an actual ball. :dunno:

2. In my first english read I thought Cat was tortured with actual alive real birds, that were scratching her face, after Robb's death- very well documented in a thread here. I even made a gender thing out of it- but everyone was very nice and just polity pointed out, that it was a metaphor - I might have been a bit drunk, while reading that particular scene :blush::cheers: but I don't think, that's really an excuse, since I knew the story already after all- suddenly I was like: waaaitt!! Raaavens? Gotta post that right away and better make a meta thing out of it, because my question is important (in a drunk voice)

I remember that! Was it a Cat thread? Or a RW/ Poor Sweetie thread? :lol:

3. Ever since I was a kid, I knew I would some day read ASOIAF, because my local book store owner was a big fan and he told me, that one day, I as a fantasy lover, would be ready :D (and I also really loved the covers- let's be honest, that's important- they just looked so epic ) but when the time had finally come and i was deemed ready at 17, I only ever managed to read up until Bran's fall, because since I'm scared of heights myself, I a have a thing for stories, where characters are great climbers or something similar that's connected to heights and you see the world described from their perspective. GRRM did such a good job with describing Bran's climbing adventures and I so very much expected him climbing everywhere to be a big part of his story and was so excited about it, that I was so devastated, that I put the book down and didn't pick it up again until 3 years later. Needless to say it was a good decision, since I obviously wasn't ready yet (being so upset about just Bran's fall) lol Weird I don't dislike jaime more 

Jaime is a wonderful character. I feel kinda funny at times b/c these two are my faves (together w/ Jon, Arya & Sansa).

4. I like Feast and Dance better than Clash and Storm

Yup, me too. Although, I have to say I love the 5 books we have so far, and the “extras” , especially D&E. And btw, have you read the D&E novellas yet? :spank:

9 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

What can I say? Yanks are weird. They call it “football”, despite the fact that the players don’t really use their feet, and the “ball” is more of an odd shaped object than an actual ball. :dunno:

but calling our perfectly appropriately named game soccer  :bawl: :bs:

I remember that! Was it a Cat thread? Or a RW/ Poor Sweetie thread? :lol:

No, it was a very brilliant thread, that I created myself titled "why was Cat tortured before her death and Robb wasn't?" :laugh: and you where one of the very polite ppl, pointing out "it's a writing style" lol

Jaime is a wonderful character. I feel kinda funny at times b/c these two are my faves (together w/ Jon, Arya & Sansa).

Oh, yes Bran is one of my favorites too. absolutely adore his chapters as well :D Jaime has such an obnoxious personality to me lol, but he is also very funny, so that makes up for it. And tbh I know a lot of ppl disagree, but I actually think he is a quite a good person.

Yup, me too. Although, I have to say I love the 5 books we have so far

yep, love storm and clash as well. game is my favorite. love all 5

And btw, have you read the D&E novellas yet? :spank:

yes, of course, loved it!!:D (answers given under the threat of violence don't count:unsure:

15 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

-Superball seems more reasonable IMO. Isn't a bowl something in between a cup and a plate?

Lol, Superball. That sounds like itd be an extravagant party that I totally want to go to

Do they not have bowls where your from? Lol

So from what Ive gathered, the collage stadiums where football thrived looks kinda like a bowl, so the championship games took the name of their stadium. Rosebowl, Clemsonbowl, etc. When the NFL became a thing they copied the popular name for the Superbowl. (The championship game thats played two weeks after the Championship Games. Lol, ok I see the confusion)

I didn't know until recently, why everyone called it Cleganebowl, since I'm not American. On that occasion got to learn that it's Superbowl instead of

I think the Cleganebowl is in reference to the silly university games and not the actual Big Game, I mean Gregor vs Sandor will be epic, but the real game is Jon vs Dany or Sansa vs Cersei, imo. 

15 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I mean, its still a ball. Lol

13 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

but calling our perfectly appropriately named game soccer  :bawl: :bs:

That bothers you? Its not aptly named I'll agree to that, but its still after all, just a word. 

2. In my first english read I thought Cat was tortured with actual alive real birds, that were scratching her face, 

I remember being confused too. I think I just shrugged it off, when she came back alive with the hideous facial scars it finally clicked for me.

I read Ygritte once as if it rhymed with Spaghetti. Could never fully erase that from my mind, definitely ruined some somber scenes for me

22 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Lol, Superball. That sounds like itd be an extravagant party that I totally want to go to

lol it sounds like straight out of Harry Potter. The Superball, at the end of the school year, other Wizarding Schools will be attending as well :D

we do. It's the thing between a plate and a cup, that the french drink coffee out of and we eat cereal from. :D

So from what Ive gathered, the collage stadiums where football thrived looks kinda like a bowl, so the championship games took the name of their stadium. Rosebowl, Clemsonbowl, etc. When the NFL became a thing they copied the popular name for the Superbowl. (The championship game thats played two weeks after the Championship Games. Lol, ok I see the confusion)

Ha, an explanation! That's nice, Thanks!

but the real game is Jon vs Dany or Sansa vs Cersei, imo. 

:agree: don't think Sandor vs. Robert Strong will happen and if it does then not for revenge.

I mean, its still a ball. Lol

an egg at best

That bothers you? Its not aptly named I'll agree to that, but its still after all, just a word.

it keeps me up at night

I remember being confused too. I think I just shrugged it off, when she came back alive with the hideous facial scars it finally clicked for me.

lol glad I'm not alone then. I was like, where did the ravens all over sudden come from? And those are some very well trained killer ravens.

I read Ygritte once as if it rhymed with Spaghetti. Could never fully erase that from my mind, definitely ruined some somber scenes for me

Was it the 2 ts? :lmao: I'm sure I pronounce half of the names completely wrong. 

3 hours ago, Nagini's Neville said:

lol it sounds like straight out of Harry Potter. The Superball, at the end of the school year, other Wizarding Schools will be attending as well :D

Lol nice. Lol the Superball. I like words that sound like real words, like Ygraghetti

we do. It's the thing between a plate and a cup, that the french drink coffee out of and we eat cereal from. :D

Wait, what? Lol really? The French drink coffee out of a bowl? Like the same one theyd have soup in?

I mean, I love coffee too but damn.

Ha, an explanation! That's nice, Thanks!

Np. Im a big nfl fan (like GRRM)

an egg at best

An egg like shaped ball

it keeps me up at night

Lmao. It really seems to bother people

:agree: don't think Sandor vs. Robert Strong will happen and if it does then not for revenge.

Im sure it will.

Their relationship isnt really about vengeance, just pure hate. But yea, when they fight I think itll be as champions for a cause, not their usual beef

lol glad I'm not alone then. I was like, where did the ravens all over sudden come from? And those are some very well trained killer ravens.

Gods damn Frey

Was it the 2 ts? :lmao: I'm sure I pronounce half of the names completely wrong. 

Speaking of Frey. Aenys. Like how are we supposed to pronounce that? How can I take any scene with him seriously?

8 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Speaking of Frey. Aenys. Like how are we supposed to pronounce that? How can I take any scene with him seriously

Haha yeah I pronounce it just like you, it sounds like. I can't figure out another way to say it, because if I could I would. The George has jokes. 

On 2/21/2020 at 7:33 PM, Nagini's Neville said:

Long before there was a National Football League, the American sport of football began to evolve in the late 1800s. It was played in US universities, mostly in the northeast, but it spread over several decades, and it began to resemble the modern game in the early 1900s. In those days, several cities began hosting end of season exhibitions. The first was Pasadena, a suburb of Los Angeles, which staged sporting events as part of its Tournament of Roses, which included the Rose Parade, on New Year's Day. They built a stadium in the Arroyo Seco, and they called it the Rose Bowl, because it was shaped like a giant bowl. The game began to be called the Rose Bowl as well, and other New Year's Day exhibition games followed suit. Soon, we had the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans, and the Orange Bowl in Miami, followed by many more. In the 1950s and 1960s, professional American football gained popularity, and the NFL began to emerge. When the American Football League rose up too, the champions of the two leagues met in a game to determine which league had the best team. The game was staged in Los Angels. Although it was played in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, not the Rose Bowl, it was referred to as the Super Bowl. 

My kids play ice hockey, eh. 

On 2/22/2020 at 4:36 PM, Hugorfonics said:

Traditionally football (=soccer) grounds are rectangular rather than bowl-shaped, probably because it matters a great deal to give fans protection from the elements in places like Manchester, and sticking a curved roof on a curved stand is a complicated and expensive business.

So this is not a confession exactly. Well, it is, but not an ASoIaF confession... Can someone explain where the hell did the word “soccer” come from? WTAF. Yanks invent a game that is a variation on rugby (maybe? I don’t care for either, so), appropriate the word “football”, and come up w/ something totally weird and meaningless to rename football with? Huh? :lol:

ETA: soccer doesn’t exist. There’s football (the proper one, played w/ the foot and a ball), and there’s American football, played w/ the hand and an oval shaped object. :dunno:

Archived