aSoIaF Confessions

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

9 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

So this is not a confession exactly. Well, it is, but not an ASoIaF confession... Can someone explain where the hell did the word “soccer” come from? WTAF. Yanks invent a game that is a variation on rugby (maybe? I don’t care for either, so), appropriate the word “football”, and come up w/ something totally weird and meaningless to rename football with? Huh? :lol:

ETA: soccer doesn’t exist. There’s football (the proper one, played w/ the foot and a ball), and there’s American football, played w/ the hand and an oval shaped object. :dunno:

I have seen somewhere that "Soccer" comes from the word "Association".

23 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

So this is not a confession exactly. Well, it is, but not an ASoIaF confession... Can someone explain where the hell did the word “soccer” come from? WTAF. Yanks invent a game that is a variation on rugby (maybe? I don’t care for either, so), appropriate the word “football”, and come up w/ something totally weird and meaningless to rename football with? Huh? :lol:

ETA: soccer doesn’t exist. There’s football (the proper one, played w/ the foot and a ball), and there’s American football, played w/ the hand and an oval shaped object. :dunno:

This Yank only refers to it as 'American Football' and encourages others to as much as I can to call it that. (Sadly, we are mostly dumb oafs.)

10 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

This Yank only refers to it as 'American Football'

Really? Good man. :)

This is the 1st time I’ve heard (or rather read) of an American calling it American football. Don’t mean to pry, but why do you call it AF? 

41 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

So, Ive just been doing some snooping, cuz I was interested as well

And as @TedBear says. It comes from the word Association.

Its a pretty hysterical explanation that I hope is true.

A recent paper by University of Michigan professor Stefan Szymanski says the Brits are partly to blame.

The word "soccer," which is believed to have originated in Britain some 200 years ago, comes from the official name of the sport, "association football." As other versions of the game evolved to include Rugby Football, it is believed the Brits adopted colloquialisms to distinguish each game.

"The rugby football game was shortened to 'rugger,' a term recognized in British English to the present day, and the association football game was, plausibly, shortened to 'soccer'" Szymanski writes. 

Is rugger a used synonym?

8 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Really? Good man. :)

This is the 1st time I’ve heard (or rather read) of an American calling it American football. Don’t mean to pry, but why do you call it AF? 

I have spent a lot of time with and have a lot of international friends, since I was about 20, so it became habit to refer to the them as football and American Football.

Because I am a bigger fan of football and think calling "American Football" puts it in its place as a sport pretty much only Americans pay any attention to. 

27 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Because I am a bigger fan of football

Yeah, me too. Then again, in all fairness, I’ve never really watched a game of AF. My American boss assures me it’s awesome and much better than football, but he doesn’t know the 1st thing about football. I really love watching a great football match... not that we get that many of those, but still. It’s not unlike a great basketball game, totally jaw-dropping, the level of skill is absolutely amazing. 

27 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

and think calling "American Football" puts it in its place as a sport pretty much only Americans pay any attention to. 

I’m not the best person to comment on this, seeing that I really don’t know, but this seems accurate... AF is not a thing anywhere but the US, right?

(on a sports side note... I always wanted to watch a baseball game live. I only know it from clips and films and such, but it looks beautiful and hopefully one day I will fulfill my dream. Red Sox beating... someone, if I can be picky. But I always thought it’s hilarious how the championship is called World Series, since no one but the US plays? :lol: )

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

My understanding is that it comes from the term Association Football -> assoc -> socc(-er). I don't think its originally an american term.

Although my country is slowly culturally becoming americanised (boo!) when I grew up it was very much an English Dominion (the dominion part was gone by then, but my grandmother had lots of family in England and served in the WRENs as a young lady in the UK during WWII, and England was known as The Home Country, while simultaneously being fiercely independent Kiwis. Mind you, it was probably a bit different in the cities.

I grew up calling it soccer too. Football is Rugby where I'm from. That softy thing with the pads and helmets is "american football". :ph34r:

Yeah, me too. Then again, in all fairness, I’ve never really watched a game of AF. My American boss assures me it’s awesome and much better than football, but he doesn’t know the 1st thing about football. I really love watching a great football match... not that we get that many of those, but still. It’s not unlike a great basketball game, totally jaw-dropping, the level of skill is absolutely amazing. 

I’m not the best person to comment on this, seeing that I really don’t know, but this seems accurate... AF is not a thing anywhere but the US, right?

(on a sports side note... I always wanted to watch a baseball game live. I only know it from clips and films and such, but it looks beautiful and hopefully one day I will fulfill my dream. Red Sox beating... someone, if I can be picky. But I always thought it’s hilarious how the championship is called World Series, since no one but the US plays? :lol: )

There was a European American football league and I think Germany has or had a American football league too.

21 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

But it's called rugby ball 

Says us

1 hour ago, corbon said:

Football is Rugby where I'm from. 

20 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

yeah, all the guys, who don't make it in the US come to Germany lol

Some went to Canada.

AF is not a thing anywhere but the US, right?

I don't understand how it could be (the nfl every year, for the past like 5 or so, has 2 games in GB and 1 game in Mexico) because Yards arent a thing anywhere but the US, right?

AF revolves around the Yard. The field has to be 100 yards (120) and a down is a minimum of 10 yards. Id be confused for instance if the game was all about a Meter. (Which of course it cant be because a yards not a meter) 

On 23. Februar 2020 at 7:53 PM, Hugorfonics said:

Lol nice. Lol the Superball. I like words that sound like real words, like Ygraghetti

lol Thanks, now I have that suck in my head as well :laugh:

Wait, what? Lol really? The French drink coffee out of a bowl? Like the same one theyd have soup in?

I mean, I love coffee too but damn.

They sure do. Google coffee bowl. It's a bit annoying, because you keep burning your fingers, but the french probably have figured out the perfect way how to hold their bowl :D the coffee is definitely worth it!

Np. Im a big nfl fan (like GRRM)

seems like most americans are either big nfl or basketball fans :) 

An egg like shaped ball

fair enough lol

Lmao. It really seems to bother people

Yes, most Europeans are very passionate football fans and it bothers them, that you Americans just gave a game, that is only really played in the US the exact same name of the game the rest of the world is absolutely crazy about. Especially, when in AF the players don't even kick the ball. They think it's self-centered and ignorant. But I for sure don't care, I'm no football fan.

Im sure it will.

Their relationship isnt really about vengeance, just pure hate. But yea, when they fight I think itll be as champions for a cause, not their usual beef

I'm not sure Gregor really hates Sandor that much. He seems to hate everyone. Or maybe he doesn't even care about human beings enough to truly hate them. I feel like for him it's more: the one that got away, because he apparently succeeded in killing the rest of the family. He probably doesn't care half as much about Sandor, than Sandor cares for him. And sure Sandor absolutely hates Gregor, but I'm also sure he wants revenge for all the horrible things he did to him and his face and their family.

Speaking of Frey. Aenys. Like how are we supposed to pronounce that? How can I take any scene with him seriously?

What's the problem with Aenys ? Because it rhymes with something else? How childish! lol  there is also the real life name Deniz for example.

11 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

What's the problem with Aenys ? Because it rhymes with something else? How childish! lol  there is also the real life name Deniz for example

Yeah Aenys, is pronounced Anus - I think anyway. & An anus is a butthole so there's that. 

What's the issue with Deniz? 

1 minute ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Yeah Aenys, is pronounced Anus - I think anyway. & An anus is a butthole so there's that. 

What's the issue with Deniz? 

OMG haha okay, well that's... lol. I think, that's GRRM's twisted sense of humor. I made the mistake of only thinking of the german pronunciation. How I would pronounce Aenys and how to pronounce Deniz it both rhymes with the german pronunciation of penis ( so irrelevant for you guys anyway) - I was trying hard to figure out what was wrong with Aenys lol

19 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

lol Thanks, now I have that suck in my head as well :laugh:

They sure do. Google coffee bowl. It's a bit annoying, because you keep burning your fingers, but the french probably have figured out the perfect way how to hold their bowl :D the coffee is definitely worth it!

seems like most americans are either big nfl or basketball fans :) 

fair enough lol

Yes, most Europeans are very passionate football fans and it bothers them, that you Americans just gave a game, that is only really played in the US the exact same name of the game the rest of the world is absolutely crazy about. Especially, when in AF the players don't even kick the ball. They think it's self-centered and ignorant. But I for sure don't care, I'm no football fan.

I'm not sure Gregor really hates Sandor that much. He seems to hate everyone. Or maybe he doesn't even care about human beings enough to truly hate them. I feel like for him it's more: the one that got away, because he apparently succeeded in killing the rest of the family. He probably doesn't care half as much about Sandor, than Sandor cares for him. And sure Sandor absolutely hates Gregor, but I'm also sure he wants revenge for all the horrible things he did to him and his face and their family.

What's the problem with Aenys ? Because it rhymes with something else? How childish! lol  there is also the real life name Deniz for example.

Wait you are pronouncing it Ee-nis? Like long E & rhymes with penis right? Ha! I didn't think of that. Maybe that's how it's meant to be said. 

@Hugorfonics & I are pronouncing it with a long A 

Archived