aSoIaF Confessions

Lyanna<3Rhaegar

1 minute ago, Nagini's Neville said:

OMG haha okay, well that's... lol. I think, that's GRRM's twisted sense of humor. I made the mistake of only thinking of the german pronunciation. How I would pronounce Aenys and how to pronounce Deniz it both rhymes with the german pronunciation of penis ( so irrelevant for you guys anyway) - I was trying hard to figure out what was wrong with Aenys lol

Haha!! Maybe that is how it's meant to be said & we are just saying it wrong? 

I don't know but if I were Aenys I would much rather have a name that rhymes with penis than to be called "butthole" 

3 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Wait you are pronouncing it Ee-nis? Like long E & rhymes with penis right? Ha! I didn't think of that. Maybe that's how it's meant to be said. 

@Hugorfonics & I are pronouncing it with a long A 

yeah, I mean. You guys are Americans and so it GRRM. So you are probably correct.

I pronounce it with a british A in the beginning and then the e like the e in elements and the y like the the i in ish.

but I find GRRM's pronunciations don't really follow rules always. Why does he pronounce Sansa the british way, but Sandor the american?

4 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

yeah, I mean. You guys are Americans and so it GRRM. So you are probably correct.

I pronounce it with a british A in the beginning and then the e like the e in elements and the y like the the i in ish.

but I find GRRM's pronunciations don't really follow rules always. Why does he pronounce Sansa the british way, but Sandor the american?

Who knows. I can't keep up with all the pronunciations. In fairness our language breaks its own rules all the time. 

I pronounce Sansa & Sandor the same. I've never heard George say them though, only D&D, & since they call Missandei - Miss-Sundee or whatever they say, I can't take them seriously lol

9 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Who knows. I can't keep up with all the pronunciations. In fairness our language breaks its own rules all the time. 

I pronounce Sansa & Sandor the same. I've never heard George say them though, only D&D, & since they call Missandei - Miss-Sundee or whatever they say, I can't take them seriously lol

haha yeah, I heard that too. I feel like it's just them wanting to be special or whatever, because they don't call her that on the show lol- at least i have never heard that. So it's really stupid. It's their show after all. GRRM definitely pronounces Sansa british (but Sandor american) and Arya as well british otherwise she would be called Area I guess lol. But Bran is pronounced with an american A again... so who knows? :dunno:

33 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

Aenys and how to pronounce Deniz it both rhymes with the german pronunciation of penis

Oh! Thanks. And its still funny

54 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

How childish! lol 

Lol what are you gonna do?

32 minutes ago, Lyanna<3Rhaegar said:

Maybe that's how it's meant to be said. 

I think so now also. I always try to Americanize the names, like Davos is David, because Im ignorant like that.

Aenys kinda sounds like Enoch then.

lol Thanks, now I have that suck in my head as well :laugh:

Good. I dont have to suffer alone. Soon you will embrace my childish ways

They sure do. Google coffee bowl.

I did. Lmao. It showed a mug/pipe in one.

A bowl is also a type of pipe, but with a carburetor for those nice tokes, purely for legal tobacco purposes of course... Lol. Talk about wake and bake

It's a bit annoying, because you keep burning your fingers, but the french probably have figured out the perfect way how to hold their bowl :D the coffee is definitely worth it!

Eventually I found it. Genius. (Further genius, I was pretty impressed with my first discovery too lol)

seems like most americans are either big nfl or basketball fans :) 

Poor baseball :(

I could never get into basketball for the opposite reason I cant get into nonamerican football. Its too fast paced for me, while soccer is to slow paced. And yes, I acknowledge liking baseball while thinking another sport is too slow. Lol, I cant explain.

Yes, most Europeans are very passionate football fans and it bothers them, that you Americans just gave a game, that is only really played in the US the exact same name of the game the rest of the world is absolutely crazy about.

South Americans too

. Especially, when in AF the players don't even kick the ball.

Sometimes they do. I mean, every possession starts with the opponent kicking it. And its possible to score by kicking too.

They think it's self-centered and ignorant.

I feel like thats a good metaphor how non Americans think of Americans. 

Like I know a few south americans who dont even like the term America, as opposed to the United States, because they think its self centered and ignorant. And you know, they have a point. So do the soccer heads, but, whatever lol. I just, uh

for sure don't care,

Exactly. 

I'm not sure Gregor really hates Sandor that much. He seems to hate everyone. 

Lol true

I feel like for him it's more: the one that got away, because he apparently succeeded in killing the rest of the family.

Idk, I dont think thats true for some reason. I mean, its just a rumor

, but I'm also sure he wants revenge for all the horrible things he did to him and his face and their family.

I hope not. 

The hound was such scum, but he has started to do honest work. It certainly looks like Sandors arc is one of rehabilitation, but revenge can never the journey of a hero

9 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

GRRM definitely pronounces Sansa british (but Sandor american) and Arya as well british otherwise she would be called Area I guess lol. But Bran is pronounced with an american A again... so who knows? :dunno:

Definitely? Citation please 

(I saw an interview with him once where they asked is it Eggon or Eegone. He looked startled and then said, Eggon. And then for the rest of the interview he says Ayygone (like the Fonzie))

Its like Santa Claus.... Wait, how do British people pronounce Santa?

Ok, mad king. Thats like the Greek god of war? 

4 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Definitely? Citation please 

You don't trust me? hm, then maybe I really managed to conceal my Sansa Stark obsession (not) better than I thought :closedeyes: and therefore can pull of the impression like I'm not someone, who searched the whole Internet for every little moment GRRM talks about Sansa. (sadly he never really talks about her)

well okay proof:

at 47:20

difference between Sandor and Sansa 1:12

17 minutes ago, Nagini's Neville said:

You don't trust me? hm, then maybe I really managed to conceal my Sansa Stark obsession (not) better than I thought :closedeyes: and therefore can pull of the impression like I'm not someone, who searched the whole Internet for every little moment GRRM talks about Sansa. (sadly he never really talks about her)

well okay proof:

at 47:20

difference between Sandor and Sansa 1:12

Thank you.

Ah fuck. Hmmm... I just think it sounds silly for some reason and cant take it serious. Like King Anus or Ygraghetti.

Im just going to choose to pronounce it how I like to, like I thought her other name was Aliena but my friend pointed out its Elaine. But I like the name Aliena lol

As stated upthread, American football is an old-ish sport going back to the 1800s. The name football made sense for the early incarnations of the game, but it has changed a lot over time without the name changing with it.

Think the only other country who plays it with an significance is Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_football

What is considered to be the first American football game was played on November 6, 1869, between Rutgers and Princeton, two college teams. They consisted of 25 players each and used a round ball that could not be picked up or carried. It could, however, be kicked or batted with the feet, hands, head or sides, with the objective being to advance it into the opponent's goal. Rutgers won the game 6–4.[9][10]

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

So this is not a confession exactly. Well, it is, but not an ASoIaF confession... Can someone explain where the hell did the word “soccer” come from? WTAF. Yanks invent a game that is a variation on rugby (maybe? I don’t care for either, so), appropriate the word “football”, and come up w/ something totally weird and meaningless to rename football with? Huh? :lol:

ETA: soccer doesn’t exist. There’s football (the proper one, played w/ the foot and a ball), and there’s American football, played w/ the hand and an oval shaped object. :dunno:

Don't forget Aussie rules football. 

3 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Thank you.

Ah fuck. Hmmm... I just think it sounds silly for some reason and cant take it serious. Like King Anus or Ygraghetti.

Really just saying the a differently changes the name so much for you? funny :) 

Im just going to choose to pronounce it how I like to, like I thought her other name was Aliena but my friend pointed out its Elaine. But I like the name Aliena lol

yeah, thats the good thing about books - nobody is forcing you to pronounce it "Miss-Sundee", you can say Aliena and David

On 1/8/2020 at 6:14 PM, corbon said:

My first read through, just three books at that point, I didn't notice or care about any of the 'mysteries'. Didn't even notice there were any! I was too busy rushing through the story to see what happened next.

Before AFFC came out I did a re-read and early on in that figured out R+L=J, went on the internet to find out more and found the Tower of the Hand, which opened my eyes to the depth of the stories behind the story, and then on to this forum.

Almost exactly the same story - except I suspected R+L on my first read (and that the PtwP was Jon - although still debated by many today). After I discovered the Tower of Joy and this forum, my pride of having pieced R+L on my own did not last for long, as I had missed so many obvious simpler mysteries! Some I am still very ashamed of, like Loras + Renly (and Loras in Renly's armour) or the Frey pies.

But my worst miss was to not realise Abel the Bard and his washerwomen were in fact Mance Rayder and his spearwives! :bang: :blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived